Anyone fly in diapers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly don't think it's common among pilots. The topic has never come up among my flying mates except for dealing with passengers. I was a dl well before becoming a pilot and have only worn discreetly flying our own aircraft as mentioned earlier it has made long cross country flights much more comfortable than urgently making a landing somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear diapers all the time through TSA security. Mostly you will get asked to wait just a moment before you can go on. Sometimes I can sense there is a question and I offer up that I am wearing a diaper and I'm waved on.

I rode a plane while diapered today. It was great.

I've started learning to fly a glider last year, and I'll probably get my license next year. I always wear a diaper while flying, but I wear them 24/7, however peeing in a glider is a major issue.
Most old school pilots use a freezer bag, which they dispose in flight, not the most pleasant thought. Others like using pocket urinals, which actually have superabsorbers
in a kind of bottle that you pee in. While diapers are talked about as an option, most males prefer the other options. Female glider pilots who want to fly long distance
don't really have an option though.

While in powered flight you can always land on the next airport to pee, in a glider you don't just have a throttle that you can push and climb, you have to find thermals,
and once you're a few thousand feet above the ground you really don't want to give up that precious altitude unless you have to. Also if you're flying in a competition,
or want to submit the flight to OnlineContest, you have to stay in the air for it to count.

6 hours flight, with 500km distance or more isn't something you do everyday, but it's a quite common achievement where I live, and some pilots even mange to get similar
distances in planes from the 50s. It's an amazing feeling, flying without an engine buzzing all the time, just hearing the wind flow around your plane, finding a thermal, and
without expending any energy at all, circling higher and higher, until you're right underneath the clouds.

I recently confused a few pilots talking about different engines and fuels, by telling them I fly a fusion powered plane, and when they ask where I got a fusion reactor from, I
just pointed at the sun and told them that I fly a glider. But then again, you could argue that all fuels we have are just made from fusion power and time, often a lot of time, with maybe a few hard to find exceptions.

This is all really good information. Um flying to the east coast in October, my seats are by the window on ALL but 1 of the airplanes. And we all know from experience that getting down those tight walkways to those tiny bathrooms (especially if you are by the window) can be a major challenge especially if you are IC like I am and can't really stop it when it starts. So yes this'll be my first flight diaper, and to be honest I'm looking forward to it. I have my diaper all picked out and everything. I will have minimally 2 extra and 1 extra brief on the plane with me, plus an extra onsies or two. Or maybe 2. Haven't yet decided. But flying diapered sounds like a great time.

I flew for the first time diapered just the other day, from Dublin to Washington, unfortunately I haven't mastered peeing around people fully and so I still had to go to the bathroom to wet it, but it was nice and comfortable for the flight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since retiring (retired @ 57) I typically only fly about 4x a year. I have a place in Florida so the flight time between Chicago and West Palm is only 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Security has never been a problem. I usually get a TSA agent to step aside and inform him of my medical condition. This seems to work and I'm afforded the privacy and dignity of not having my condition broadcast to the general public. Occasionally, a supervisor will join us and again, no real issues.

When I know I have a flight coming up, I will take a dose of Imodium the night before and the morning of the flight. This helps slow my bowels down though it is not a guarantee I won't experience an in flight BM. It has happened. My usual protection for a flight is not that much different than my regular wear. A confi-dry 24/7 with a booster or 2, heavy gauge plastic pants and some elastic compression shorts. I also take Nullo deodorant tablets daily and use Desitin ointment. I need to use several large doses of a bulk producing fiber supplement (Metamucil) everyday to keep my voids solid. If I don't my BM's become very loose (and quite uncomfortable). The Metamucil prevents loose stool but does increase frequency and volume. For me an equal trade-off. The Imodium usually delays a BM for 4 to 5 hours but not always. I find it impossible to change in a plane's bathroom. They're just too small and it would involve completely undressing. Not going to happen.

On the rare occasion that I do have a BM in flight, I simply wait it out until I get to my condo. Despite the rather large volume of my accidental release, I'm well protected, it doesn't smell and it happens enough when at home that I'm used to it. Is it uncomfortable being in a soiled diaper for several hours? No, not really. Does my skin get a rash? No, the Desitin is zinc oxide based. I've experienced an enormous release once mid-flight and nobody around me had a clue. After picking up a rental car I was at my condo within the hour. A clean-up/shower and change soon followed and I was as good as new. Thank God it's not a regular occurrence but if I do have an accident, I know I can handle it.

Biggles said:
flying our own aircraft as mentioned earlier it has made long cross country flights much more comfortable than urgently making a landing somewhere

So much this. When I picked up my plane in the middle of nowhere, I was padded (Dry 24/7) and so glad of it. My first stop was for fuel at 24A (fuel pit only, no facilities), and then I had to divert (weather) to the middle of nowhere (KIOB) racing a storm; the airport was buttoned up tight for the night. Being diapered, I had one less source of stress & pressure in already saturated situations.

(Also, I was padded the whole way there on commercial flights; was wearing Abri-Fix pants over the diaper, to keep it snug and minimize noise.)

I just flew from Cleveland to Vegas in a confidry 24/7. I changed in a restroom after getting through security. TSA did search my bag, and made me show them my baby powder and Northshore Supremes I had hidden in the false bottom of my luggage.
They were very respectful and did not make me feel embarrassed at all.
They reffered to them as my "hygiene products." Tested the baby powder for bomb residue (I guess), and sent me on my way.

Only wet once in the 4 hr flight. I'm thinking this can still serve my night diaper. Will need to add plastic pants off course.

Sitting in the airport in London as we speak in a Rearz Safari diaper. I changed post-security in one of the shower rooms in the lounge. No issues whatsoever from security.

I just don't like sitting with a load in my diaper for very long. Not super comfortable, but when you have bowel issues you learn to deal with it. Once you take proper precautions to eliminate smell, via nullo and plastic pants you're pretty much undectable through stink.

0815 said:
I recently confused a few pilots talking about different engines and fuels, by telling them I fly a fusion powered plane, and when they ask where I got a fusion reactor from, I just pointed at the sun and told them that I fly a glider.

I love that!

Reactions: mantilla
Follow-up to my previous post: I'm still 24/7 and I wound up wanting to fly somewhere. I stuck with my diapers and had no significant complications from them. I was dry going through the scanner.

I also got some experience changing in public restrooms. It was a complete non-issue whether the room was full or empty. All in all, no big deal. Diapers certainly didn't make my trip any easier but they made it only marginally more difficult.

All this just goes to show, as long as you don't make it an issue, then going through security (even in a soaked diaper) will not be a problem.

This reminds me of one 17/18 year old kid posted he went on a band/school trip (not sure if it was here or not). He brought a diaper with him on his trip, hidden in his checked bag. The kid used it, but then panicked on where to toss it out at.

He was terrified of leaving it in his hotel room bcause he thought the room maids would rat him out for it, and his parents would find out. He said he walked around the block looking for a public trash bin, but he couldn't find any. And apparently the dumpsters all had locks on them too.

This kid actually settled on freezing his used diaper so it wouldn't smell, and then put it in a ziplock bag- in his carry on luggage. When it came time for the TSA to check his bag, he panicked again and actually tried to stop them from looking at it.

Obviously this caused a stir, and extra security was called in. He, and a chaperone, were pulled into a room, and auestioned for an hour. He missed his flight, and of course his parents were called.

Now I don't know if any or all of this is actually true, but it does show how a non-issue can be made into a serious one. All because that kid panicked and just kept making it worse for himself.

Lesson learned, it's not a bid deal unless you make it one. Really.

Flew home from Dallas to Boston in diapers last week. Very uneventful. I wear 24/7 so there's no way around it for me.

Security doesn't care. It wasn't exactly dry when I went through either.

Flew domestic and international many many times padded. Only searched once. I apologized to the TSA quickly and said... sorry man it was a long flight and I have not had time to change. He nodded and patted me down and was done quickly - got me a chair to sit on while he dug through the diapers in my carry on. After the third handful and seeing nothing else... he put it back quickly - apologized for the wait and sent me on my way. Likely the nicest TSA guy ever. Was in Chicago. Never had any issue since... perhaps they keep record?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back