Advice, I outed a gay ABDL teen to his mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I would've done the same thing. It's very dangerous to share your number on media sites where pedophiles may be lurking. You probably saved his life.

While I don't want to dismiss the danger of minors "publishing" themselves, I'd also like to point out that the number of pedos in the world hasn't suddenly jumped, the world isn't a different place. We've just become more aware of the problems and are therefore more defensive about them.

This is true of all sorts of things, take picking up a hitchhiker for example. My mom traveled all over the united states (alone!) in her early 20's by hitchhiking. Nowadays half the country is convinced you'll be raped and murdered by the end of the week. The world hasn't changed anywhere near as much as people's perception of it.

Thank you again, everyone, for the wonderful support. I never expected that this post would get as much attention as it has. I feel good about my decision, and now I know that everything is going to work out. Thank you again, everyone!

bambinod said:
While I don't want to dismiss the danger of minors "publishing" themselves, I'd also like to point out that the number of pedos in the world hasn't suddenly jumped, the world isn't a different place. We've just become more aware of the problems and are therefore more defensive about them.

This is true of all sorts of things, take picking up a hitchhiker for example. My mom traveled all over the united states (alone!) in her early 20's by hitchhiking. Nowadays half the country is convinced you'll be raped and murdered by the end of the week. The world hasn't changed anywhere near as much as people's perception of it.

Agreed on both counts. People of ill will are a tiny fraction of society and will likely remain so. We're more aware of them than before and the Internet can allow them to cast a wider net than was once feasible. Any given kid doing idiot things will probably be okay but it's prudent to take away their metaphorical matches.

To the OP: I think you made the least bad decision available. You have no way of knowing how the disclosure will ultimately be received but your actions addressed a dangerous situation involving someone without the experience to make a good judgment. I hope it works out for the best overall.

First off I agree with your intentions and probably noting the reason you did it was for the young man's protection. On the other side of the coin, if your notification to his mother would have caused a much more serious situation (abuse by the parents at finding out about their son's personal life, etc.) some folks would be the armchair quarterback and tell you how wrong you were.

I think what you did took a lot of courage and the time commitment to set it all up proves you were concerned. Hopefully this all did turn out for the better; initially it sure did!

bambinod said:

True, but the internet makes it that much easier for people of that ilk to cause harm to kids.

I think you absolutely did the right thing. Some may disagree about you outing him as a TBDL, but I think the scare of him realising how easy it is for people to find out about something as personal as that will make sure he never publicises details like that ever again.

With the advent of social media ,publishing your self , it didn't happen unless you have pictures etc.. there may not be an increase in deviant sexual predators but they now have an "all you can eat buffett" world wide access to naive an vulnerable people that they can manipulate into a victim role ,it used to be you just had to worry about your local area and the "friends" your kids kept, now you can have predator manipulating 10 different kids from his computer , he can only be a threat to one child at a time physicaly but emotional abuse can be as devasting as physical with no outward appearance of a problem ,especially if the person is being set up for physical assault/abuse at a later date unknowingly .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

You did the right thing

Calico said:
I would also like to know if any of my children were posting personal information online. You did the right thing.

I agree. Not old enough myself for kids, but if I did have kids, that would be something that I would want to know and address with the child. You demonstrated to her and the kid that he already shared enough information for someone to track him down, and he was lucky enough that you used it with noble intentions whereas someone else might not. Hopefully an eye-opener for the kid and he is more careful in the future. Hopefully the mother addresses the online safety as the issue, not the others.

Keleros9 said:
You did the right thing. That boy must feel like he has a huge burden lifted from his shoulders now that his mother knows about him being gay and an ABDL (and taught him about internet privacy).

As a gay DL, I know the burden of coming out to parents. It was not easy for me.

Well done for what you did.
Besides saving him from sickos, imagine his peers finding this out resulting in possible suicide.

You saved a life.

Warning someone to never post personal info like that in a public place is one thing, outing them (especially to a parent, who may or may not be accepting) is going way over the line.

Clover said:
Warning someone to never post personal info like that in a public place is one thing, outing them (especially to a parent, who may or may not be accepting) is going way over the line.

And you think not letting a parent know about the post is better then some pervert finding, possibly kiddnapping and worse to this kid? The fact they posted this in the first place is proof enough this kid wasn't mature or responsible enough to be contacted directly. On top of that, what if the kid claims the adult was trying to proposition them and gets this person in trouble when they do try to contact them?

Clover said:
I completely disagree. This was a kid. Most kids don't usually learn from some "advice" from a stranger on the internet. It sometimes takes a talking to by a parent or other close individual to drive home the ramifications.

Clover said:

The child had already publicly outed himself to the world on the internet. One cannot get more "outed" than that. The OP merely informed the child's mother who had not yet seen the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back