Not open for further replies.

w0lfpack91

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Little
Is it true that it's actually illegal in those 2 States to pump your own fuel??????

I've literally been the both States A 100 times and always pumped my own fuel. And yet on another message board someone actually said oh yeah thats illegal and fineable up to $500 per offense.

WTF????!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have lived in Oregon for over 36 years; absolutely against the law. The station can be fined $10,000 per occurrence, so for the sake of the station, do not pump your own. I am sure the law is on the books for environmental reasons.

Diapered Rabbit said:
I have lived in Oregon for over 36 years; absolutely against the law. The station can be fined $10,000 per occurrence, so for the sake of the station, do not pump your own. I am sure the law is on the books for environmental reasons.
I mean is it different for CDL holders And big trucks? No one has ever said anything to me but yeah just found this out.

Does this apply to motorcycles as well? I can't imagine the damage that would be done to some poor shlub who spilled gas on someones tank.

Khaymen said:
Does this apply to motorcycles as well? I can't imagine the damage that would be done to some poor shlub who spilled gas on someones tank.
My biggest concern since I do A lot of overlanding style 4 wheeling and camping Would-be the attendant wouldn't be paying attention And put the wrong type of fuel. My 1990 Ford Bronco Started its life as a 5.0 gas burner, But 2 years ago I acquired an old IDE Diesel engine and fuel system And put it in my Bronco. I'd be afraid that they wouldn't pay attention to what I told them And start pumping unleaded into it. It's happened once before when my step dad borrowed it. Its about a $5000 repair bill just in parts.

It's a pretty goofy thing, and one of the reasons I've seen so little of Oregon. On family road-trips, I like to top off the tank in Vancouver, WA and see if I can make it to California without stopping. Thanks to owning a reasonably fuel-efficient car, I usually succeed.

I'm sure the proponents of the law will claim it has a basis in environmental concerns, but it's really just a money-grab.

Cottontail said:
It's a pretty goofy thing, and one of the reasons I've seen so little of Oregon. On family road-trips, I like to top off the tank in Vancouver, WA and see if I can make it to California without stopping. Thanks to owning a reasonably fuel-efficient car, I usually succeed.

I'm sure the proponents of the law will claim it has a basis in environmental concerns, but it's really just a money-grab.
Could understand it back in the day Considering some pumps were fairly dangerous. But they're so many safety features on them A toddler could use them I know because I tried [emoji12]

Yes it is illegal to pump your own fuel and one of the greatest things about it is you don't have to get out of your car. just as long as you have a bank card on you, you just hand it to them and they slide it and hand it back to you and they do the pumping for you.

I used to live right across the river and we mostly got our gas in Washington but whenever we had to get it in Portland, the did it for us.

- - - Updated - - -

And you just tell them what type of fuel to put in your car and they will even ask if you don't tell them.

I don't know why people complain about it, I love that I can stay in my car while they pump my gas, especially in the winter lol, plus 90% of the time the attendant will wash the windows too. Plus it creates jobs, which is a good thing

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Chanch0 said:
I don't know why people complain about it, I love that I can stay in my car while they pump my gas, especially in the winter lol, plus 90% of the time the attendant will wash the windows too. Plus it creates jobs, which is a good thing

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
It's more the idea that I don't like anyone else messing with my vehicle The last time someone screwed up with it at the pumps cost me $5000 in parts for new injectors, pumps, filters, lines, regulators, ECT. On top of that I've got about $60,000 retail total invested between the engine and other mods. Not something I trust a teenager with. And it's not something covered by insurance or easily replaceable. Full service is fine for an average car but there needs to be an option for people who don't feel comfortable handing their baby off to a total stranger.

Thats a unusual law ahaha, well the USA is a weird place xD

Yep. It's illegal in both of those states. Far from the biggest deal, but they still are stupid laws that I'd like repealed ASAP.

I lived in oregon for 23 years (before stupid family decided to move to Florida) 100% true. As for messing up your vehicle the companys are 100% liable if they pump diesel in a gasoline engine.

I spent many years living in Oregon; I can't recall a single instance where the attendant didn't ask what type of fuel to put in.
My understanding is the laws are actually left over from when pumping gas was a hazardous activity that required training to do safely

I used to work at Chevron near Portland back in 2000-2001. Yep, pumped gas for people for eight hours a day. They also had a car wash and propane tank for refills but most of my job was standing outside in all weather conditions, pumping gas. Didn't do it for very long.

My husband has also had a job of pumping gas and he has dealt with angry customers because of has prices and they would toss their money at him yelling at him about them "overpricing" their gas. But people who work at gas stations will tell you they don't really make much off their gas and they only make their money off things they sell in the store. Gas stations charge the price of gallon for how much the barrels cost. Gas stations are not trying to rip people off and they don't jack up their prices to be greedy so they get more money. Lot of people don't seem to understand this and think gas stations do control to price of gas. No they don't. if they charge too little, then they lose money. Also the people that work pumping gas don't have any control over how much the are charging for the gas, they aren't making the prices, they just work there. My husband thinks it's just people venting their anger and it's nothing personal. They are just taking their anger out on you as the pumper even though they full well know you didn't do it but they are just venting and you are there. This was back in the 90's BTW when my husband worked as a pumper so even back then people were saying gas is expensive and I am sure people were saying the same back in the 80's too and the 70's and the 60's.

- - - Updated - - -

KawaiiBabyjenni said:
I lived in oregon for 23 years (before stupid family decided to move to Florida) 100% true. As for messing up your vehicle the companys are 100% liable if they pump diesel in a gasoline engine.

Oh god, some guy pumped unleaded fuel in my mom's Jetta that took diesel but I took full blame for it because I forgot it was a diesel. I did say regular unleaded and then he came back to tell me the nozel won't fit and I was confused so i got out but he had put it in and it was pumping but the cover said diesel so I had him cancel. It still cost my parents money to have it pumped out and over $100 bucks and my parents held the station reliable because it said diesel on the cover. I told my parents I told them regular unleaded and it was my mistake because I forgot but she said it said diesel on the cover so he shouldn't have done it. It says it on the cap too. I hope that guy didn't get fired because of my mistake and he was doing what I was telling him to do. My mom still thought he should have told me "this car says it takes diesel."

Yes it's very true.

The reason in NJ is that the independent service station operators campaigned in the legislature (which is primarily composed of personal injury lawyers) that it would be unsafe to allow people to pump their own gas. In actuallity, what they were trying to do is discourage the larger gas-and-go self serves driving out the local service stations. Of course, I don't think it really worked. It only takes one person to run all the pumps anyhow if you've been to any of the larger stations there.

Yep lived in NJ my whole life. Illegal here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back