Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NJ and OR illegal to pump fuel???

Default NJ and OR illegal to pump fuel???

Is it true that it's actually illegal in those 2 States to pump your own fuel??????

I've literally been the both States A 100 times and always pumped my own fuel. And yet on another message board someone actually said oh yeah thats illegal and fineable up to $500 per offense.

WTF????!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have lived in Oregon for over 36 years; absolutely against the law. The station can be fined $10,000 per occurrence, so for the sake of the station, do not pump your own. I am sure the law is on the books for environmental reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Diapered Rabbit View Post
    I have lived in Oregon for over 36 years; absolutely against the law. The station can be fined $10,000 per occurrence, so for the sake of the station, do not pump your own. I am sure the law is on the books for environmental reasons.
    I mean is it different for CDL holders And big trucks? No one has ever said anything to me but yeah just found this out.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting...ump_their.html

Even though I live in Washington, I don't spend much time in Oregon. Part of that is related to the ban on pumping my own gas. It's really not that big of a deal but it's an irritating intrusion to have it forced. I generally gas up just before going in and that covers me for my stay.

Does this apply to motorcycles as well? I can't imagine the damage that would be done to some poor shlub who spilled gas on someones tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaymen View Post
    Does this apply to motorcycles as well? I can't imagine the damage that would be done to some poor shlub who spilled gas on someones tank.
    My biggest concern since I do A lot of overlanding style 4 wheeling and camping Would-be the attendant wouldn't be paying attention And put the wrong type of fuel. My 1990 Ford Bronco Started its life as a 5.0 gas burner, But 2 years ago I acquired an old IDE Diesel engine and fuel system And put it in my Bronco. I'd be afraid that they wouldn't pay attention to what I told them And start pumping unleaded into it. It's happened once before when my step dad borrowed it. Its about a $5000 repair bill just in parts.

It's a pretty goofy thing, and one of the reasons I've seen so little of Oregon. On family road-trips, I like to top off the tank in Vancouver, WA and see if I can make it to California without stopping. Thanks to owning a reasonably fuel-efficient car, I usually succeed.

I'm sure the proponents of the law will claim it has a basis in environmental concerns, but it's really just a money-grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    It's a pretty goofy thing, and one of the reasons I've seen so little of Oregon. On family road-trips, I like to top off the tank in Vancouver, WA and see if I can make it to California without stopping. Thanks to owning a reasonably fuel-efficient car, I usually succeed.

I'm sure the proponents of the law will claim it has a basis in environmental concerns, but it's really just a money-grab.
    Could understand it back in the day Considering some pumps were fairly dangerous. But they're so many safety features on them A toddler could use them I know because I tried

Yes it is illegal to pump your own fuel and one of the greatest things about it is you don't have to get out of your car. just as long as you have a bank card on you, you just hand it to them and they slide it and hand it back to you and they do the pumping for you.

I used to live right across the river and we mostly got our gas in Washington but whenever we had to get it in Portland, the did it for us.

- - - Updated - - -

And you just tell them what type of fuel to put in your car and they will even ask if you don't tell them.

I don't know why people complain about it, I love that I can stay in my car while they pump my gas, especially in the winter lol, plus 90% of the time the attendant will wash the windows too. Plus it creates jobs, which is a good thing

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk