Rift

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum but I am trying to save money by making my own onesies but I don't know how it's done.

If anyone knows how to do this can you please make a step by step guide . I have been wanting to do this for a while now Any help is appreciated Please And Thank You

Do you crochet? I've crocheted infant onesies, an adult one would just be the same scaled up. If you're interested I could try to post some instructions in a bit.

I know there are guides out there if you do some searching. I've seen a guide on how to convert a tshirt into a onesie you just have to have a longer one than usual like from a big and tall store or section.

I've commissioned onesie from sellers off eBay and they'll usually cut you a deal if you supply the material. I do know that scaling baby onesies up to adult sizes tends to not work well. You'll have to do some measuring and come up with a custom pattern for you. Just scaling a baby onesie up will leave to an odd fit especially in the crotch area. Adult diapers and butts tend to be much wider and thicker in that area than a babies.

Elbs said:
Do you crochet? I've crocheted infant onesies, an adult one would just be the same scaled up. If you're interested I could try to post some instructions in a bit.

No I don't crochet because I don't know how. I'm a liquid stitch kind of guy so I don't have to strain my eyes trying to thread sewing needles

- - - Updated - - -

Venesha said:
I know there are guides out there if you do some searching. I've seen a guide on how to convert a tshirt into a onesie you just have to have a longer one than usual like from a big and tall store or section.

I've commissioned onesie from sellers off eBay and they'll usually cut you a deal if you supply the material. I do know that scaling baby onesies up to adult sizes tends to not work well. You'll have to do some measuring and come up with a custom pattern for you. Just scaling a baby onesie up will leave to an odd fit especially in the crotch area. Adult diapers and butts tend to be much wider and thicker in that area than a babies.

wow I always thought you could only but what you see On Ebay. How do you commission them

What kind of onesie are you referring to? the traditional legless snap-crotch baby-style onesies, or the jumpsuit-style footed onesies? I can't comment on the former, but for the latter, I suspect it will be cheaper to just buy one from Walmart or Target. I got my giraffe jumpsuit/onesie from Target for less than $20. You'd probably spend that much on fabric alone, not including the zipper, ribbing for the collar and cuffs, and cotton thread.

wow I always thought you could only but what you see On Ebay. How do you commission them

Just look around for the contact seller option and send them a private message through eBay asking if they would be willing to do a custom onesie for you. Be sure to be patient as you never know what's going on with them irl. Have an idea of what you want in mind before hand and make sure you can find fabric that will work with it through sites like walmart/joanns/fabric.com. if they feel comfortable doing it they'll give you there address to ship the fabric directly to them then they'll make it and mail it to you.

Depending on how busy they are it can take a good few weeks to get through the whole process so like I said be patient. Also make sure they are okay working with your choice of fabric certain fabrics require different methods of sewing and cutting than others and they may not have the tools for it. Try to stick to fleece and cotton fabrics preferably cotton knit as its easy to work with and stretches well so even if you're off on your measurements you should still get a good fit.

If you're thinking of the full body one (with feet), and you're any good with a sewing machine, I recommend McCall's pattern M6106.
https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6106

Obviously, leave out the accessories that make it a costume. Since they are sized to be roomy and bulky, you can just go a size smaller to get something more fitted. I've made a couple using this pattern, and if it weren't for the fact that I had to resize the entire thing from scratch (my measurements are dead centre for one size range, yet that was way too big!?!), I think it would've worked out brilliantly. End product wasn't too bad, actually, despite the sizing issues. I can recommend coral fleece for these; it is such a soft fabric, it's beautiful in winter. It does make you VERY warm, so maybe only if you know temperatures will actually get quite cold - or maybe just leave off the feet/make them removable, so you can cool off if needed.

What I would personally do is buy a cheap baby onesie and carefully undo the seams. See the different shapes and cuts of fabric used then use that as a guide to upscale it into an adult sized version based on your measurements or measurements from the guide posted above. Not the most practical way to do things maybe but that's one way for sure XD

I've been wanting to make my own onesies for a while too but am saving up for a sewing machine.

Wuggle said:
What kind of onesie are you referring to? the traditional legless snap-crotch baby-style onesies, or the jumpsuit-style footed onesies? I can't comment on the former, but for the latter, I suspect it will be cheaper to just buy one from Walmart or Target. I got my giraffe jumpsuit/onesie from Target for less than $20. You'd probably spend that much on fabric alone, not including the zipper, ribbing for the collar and cuffs, and cotton thread.

I was refferring to a snap crotch onesie also the full body footed pjs

- - - Updated - - -

Sheepies said:
What I would personally do is buy a cheap baby onesie and carefully undo the seams. See the different shapes and cuts of fabric used then use that as a guide to upscale it into an adult sized version based on your measurements or measurements from the guide posted above. Not the most practical way to do things maybe but that's one way for sure XD

I've been wanting to make my own onesies for a while too but am saving up for a sewing machine.

I was thinking about doing that yesterday at walmart when I got off work but I got nervous that I might run into friends or family so I left it alone for now. I also think cool that we both had the same idea its like they say great minds think alike

- - - Updated - - -

Sheepies said:

I was thinking about doing that yesterday at walmart when I got off work but I got nervous that I might run into friends or family so I left it alone for now

Last edited:
dragon123 said:
I was thinking about doing that yesterday at walmart when I got off work but I got nervous that I might run into friends or family so I left it alone for now. I also think cool that we both had the same idea its like they say great minds think alike

Neat XD
If you're worried, I'd suggest going at a low traffic time (late at night for example), using self checkout, or getting other semi related things so it looks less out of place like milk and cereal.

You can buy footed onesies at Walmart, Target, etc in fall and winter. As for the others...not sure if you are male or female. If you're female you're in luck. Bodysuits with the snap crotch are back in this season and I see them everywhere in short sleeves and tank style. Think Forever 21, H&M, etc. Usually under $12.00 Hope this helps!!

I made my first attempt at making a onesie about a week ago. It looks good and the length is right but after I fasten the snaps the legs look like shorts. I guess I need to see around the crotch before adding snaps to the onesie next time but I'm happy with it. I made it out of a blue button down T-shirt for when I'm out in public with a pair of blue jeans for matching colors

babylea said:
Check out my youtube channel..

You will find a video on how to resize a baby pattern
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGGJt2S2vEg

Then at this moment, in time i am working on actually creating the onsie from the pattern, that will be uploaded next week, (sometime towards the end)

check it out..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNM9y0DiC1o5DxuE8dOtahw

cheers
BabyLea

Thank you babylea I'm going to try this when I get off work nd just wanted you to know that I'm one of our subscribers on YouTube but it's my real name not my A disc screen name. Your videos are very helpful and informative keep up the good work:smile1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back