Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reading & Mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    ...Next is a 2 year certificate or associates degree at community colleges, then 4 year bachelors degree which is done at universities...
    Ah, but not quite true for us engineering majors. When I got out of the military after 14 years, I tested in at college level for writing but not math. I had to start at the bottom in math, below college level. However, even with that bit of a handicap I've been taking classes as hard and fast as I can knowing that the GI Bill won't last. I'll be just at 3 years for the Associates and 5 years for the Bachelors. That's the standard for many other fellow engineering students, the curriculum just takes time. Math is an ongoing class, every single term. All of the sciences and maths are prerequisites of each other, so no lateral moving. It just takes time.

Thank god there is only the single writing class requirement. I'm absolutely fine with just maths and sciences! Hahaha! I hate writing in just about all its forms. No art, no writing, no junk. Also no electives in the degree path either, which is a shame. I'd like to be able to take astronomy or something else. Nope, only the lib arts slackers get to enjoy those classes!

Quote Originally Posted by Llayden View Post
    Ah, but not quite true for us engineering majors... I'll be just at 3 years for the Associates and 5 years for the Bachelors. That's the standard for many other fellow engineering students, the curriculum just takes time.
    Five years for a bachelor's? At my university, it is being crammed into a four-year degree. If you follow the flowchart they give you, you are taking the max number of credits per semester every semester. Literally no room for failure. I was lucky enough to come in with some credit to eliminate some of the BS classes like literature and history, but I still had to start a the beginning with calculus.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBaker View Post
    If you follow the flowchart they give you, you are taking the max number of credits per semester every semester. Literally no room for failure.
    True. However, as you've stated there is no room for failure (actual class failure, failure to get into class, failure to meet the pre-req, and so on). There also isn't any real recourse if your perquisite abilities do not line up with a class series. For instance, you've started on your path for engineering and you are taking some cool calculus classes and so on. Differential Equations is being offered this term, but you don't quite meet the pre-req so you'll have to wait. They only offer Diff EQ once a year so now you must wait the entire year for it to come back around. The same holds true for the bigger series like physics and chem. They are offered in sequence, start to finish, across the whole year. If you aren't eligible to get into the first (or any) class due to pre-req's or the class simply being too full, you now have to wait that whole year to get on board.

You see, those flow charts are wonderful things. But, again, as you've stated the curriculum for us is exceptionally tight and many classes are only offered every now and then. One little thing like a class being too full for you to get into throws that entire flowchart out of sequence. And since almost every single class is a pre-req for the next, not allowing any other paths, then you've just compounded the problem in a big way.