Thread: Windows 10 is a service?

Default Windows 10 is a service?

Following is a cut and paste from the microsoft support website, discovered while wandering around trying to figure out the ins and outs of updates:

Updates for Windows 10 Version 1703
    Windows 10 is a service, which means it gets better through periodic software updates.

The great news is you usually don’t have to do anything–updates automatically download and install whenever they’re available.*

On the left side of this page, there is a reference to all of the updates that were released for this version of Windows. Installing the most recent update ensures that you also get any previous updates you might have missed, including any important security fixes.

The declaration that Windows 10 is a service struck me as important and possibly ominous in some ways.

I've always thought of software as being more on the 'goods' side of 'goods and services'. Certainly there are tax implications to that... sales tax in many states applies to goods, but not services.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Microsoft was trying to ease us over to the revenue stream 'convenient monthly fee' business model as they've already done with Office.

I'm sure there are more reasons for them to make that sort of statement. Those are just the first two that popped into my head. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    I've always thought of software as being more on the 'goods' side of 'goods and services'. Certainly there are tax implications to that... sales tax in many states applies to goods, but not services.
    What Microsoft call a "service", and what your tax system calls a "service" are probably quite different.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Microsoft was trying to ease us over to the revenue stream 'convenient monthly fee' business model as they've already done with Office.
    A lot of people have said that. I have a hunch that MS will move to a monthly fee for business customers. But home users will be less willing to pay, so MS will probably ramp up the spyware in Windows 10 and use that to profit from scammers advertisers.

http://www.newsweek.com/windows-10-r...ry-move-358952

I'm sure there are more reasons for them to make that sort of statement. Those are just the first two that popped into my head. Thoughts?
    I think the main reason is that they are telling you that you are no longer in control of the OS. Microsoft can now make changes to the OS automatically without your consent (or knowledge).

If a product you buy suddenly doesn't work like it used to, you might have a claim against the retailer. If a service you use changes, well... services change all the time, so you won't have any right to complain if you don't like the new "improved" service.

I still can install windows 7 If I ever need to. I had it months before the public ever had it =D
    If I need to go to linux, I can do that.
    I program alot of linux now so I'm not sinked in with windows that much anymore.
    But yeah, M$ has been being a real, Apple lately.

Haha....I guess Windows is now a privilege, not a right. Maybe Windows is an entitlement and we're just damn lucky to have it for the moment. Of course we all paid for it when it came with our computer, just like us older folks paid for our social security and medicare. I tied that into politics just for you Maxx, but yeah, it's dogboy trying to be funny in his own, pathetic way.....sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    If a product you buy suddenly doesn't work like it used to, you might have a claim against the retailer. If a service you use changes, well... services change all the time, so you won't have any right to complain if you don't like the new "improved" service.
    I guess they've given up all pretense and now openly aspire to be as dodgy as ISP's and transmission repair shops.

Edit: Dredging up some long unused memory... There was a time when you couldn't buy a computer OR software. You had to lease them from IBM.

If Windows 10 is a service, it's an advertising and spying service. And now with the edition of Windows 10 S, I can now say Microsoft are officially douchebags.

Quote Originally Posted by Note View Post
    If Windows 10 is a service, it's an advertising and spying service. And now with the edition of Windows 10 S, I can now say Microsoft are officially douchebags.
    The dreaded windows 10 S ah, that locked down crap, fucking windows store nonsense

I keep waiting for Microsoft to introduce a yearly subscription for Windows, like what they did with Office 365. Personally it still amazes me for the base price of $119 for Windows 10 home you don't even get a basic version of Office included. I get not everyone is an Apple fan, which is totally fair, but for the price of a Mac you get around ten years of macOS support for free and every mac includes a full office suite. I find the new Surface Book just bizarre, I mean it's trying to compete with Apple and college kids, but it starts a $999 and only has 4gb of ram and Windows 10 S, where as $999 would get you a MacBook Air with a full version of macOS and the ability to also run Windows 10 natively, and has 8gb of ram. To be fair the Surface Book has a newer cpu and higher res screen, but the demographic they are going for doesn't care about either one. Windows 10 S is just so odd, I feel like it will never take off since it can only run apps through the Windows Store, and the Windows Store is so poorly supported as is.

I am glad that I stuck with 7. When I kept getting pop-ups about installing 10 for free (which I eventually found out how to turn off), I knew that it could not be good.