Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: White male, middle age, cis privilege. What u talking 'bout?

Default White male, middle age, cis privilege. What u talking 'bout?

Okay. Lately we've seen some animated debate in the Mature Topics and EC+ forum, regarding LGBT and Trans/Gay issues and perceived oppression.
    Admittedly, I'm on the complete other side of the ledger. I'm straight, middle age, cis, white, and middle class.
    (Now let's be honest here. This thread is nothing more than an attempt to stir discussion!)
    But, given my somewhat privileged position, (privileged as being basically non-discriminated against,) what right do I have to feel discriminated against.

NOW PEOPLE. THIS IS TONGUE IN CHEEK! A LIGHT HEARTED DISCUSSION. LETS NOT LOSE OUR MINDS HERE!

Does anyone else in my position now feel guilty if something upsets them?
    Do you ever feel that if you're not completely happy all day, every day, you're failing somehow?
    Should something annoy you, do you automatically start doubting yourself? Perhaps wondering if your being rascist, sexist, homophobic, elitist, ageist, confused, or otherwise ill informed?
    Especially if you're by nature politically incorrect!
    Do you start doubting yourself every time SJW doesn't quite get your Facebook jibe?

As I said, I'm not being totally serious. But at the same time, it's getting increasingly harder to display any attempt at humour or sarcasm these days without offending somebody!

"But," I hear you say, "Perhaps if your sarcasm or humour is creating negative feedback, then I suggest that it's not funny! You must be trying to upset people too much!"

Perhaps. That is the basis for this thread.

Has the era of the smart ass vanished completely? Can we no longer display sarcasm at the risk of offending someone?

Are we too precious these days, or has the "ruder" point of view finally had its day?

Is there still a place for "implied offensive humour," or have we actually evolved past that?

I am not referring to anything on this site. This isn't a veiled stab at anything or anyone, just society in general.

Tell me, have we lost the ability to laugh at ourselves?

I demand my equal rights to feel oppressed!

I am a cis male, not middle class, i'm pretty low on class. oh and i'm white. I have not defined my sexuality.

It depends what it is that upsets me, I have been on a up and down winding road of view points, when it comes to viewing others who identify with a minority, or are in fact a minority, I do attempt to contemplate my actions and words..I have had the strange expierance of going from being a minority in my town as well as my school for the first half of my development, to then moving to a state with 93% whites. I've been on both sides of the fence, I can say this though, without daily interaction with the groups in question, its easy to look around you and say "hey what are they talking about?" mainly because its such an isolated state.

Do you ever feel that if you're not completely happy all day, every day, you're failing somehow?

no, I don't feel this way, and it cant possibly be healthy too. our ups and downs of mood compliment each other, much like a wine with dinner. without sadness, without melancholy, without contemplation, our jubilation, our impulses and our happiness would be very much muffled what would we compare it against? no..the root to the truth is going through each day and embracing it and feeling it. good or bad.

Should something annoy you, do you automatically start doubting yourself?

annoy is a tricky word, I would say no, not automatically. but it depends what it is.

Perhaps wondering if your being rascist, sexist, homophobic, elitist, ageist, confused, or otherwise ill informed?

I honestly try not to worry about it too much, while i am aware, I also feel that I am genuinely good natured, and If i offend, it would not be on purpose. I am open to feed back and If i bother someone, I hope they would let me know.

Do you start doubting yourself every time SJW doesn't quite get your Facebook jibe?

I don't like facebook, I think its a black hole of peoples time, I think it increases social anxiety in youths, aside from a address book that and extended family, I don't truly see its benefit. I also believe that in today's day and age of instant communication, without vocal tone or facial expression, it is easier then ever to misconstrue someones message, I have attempted to eliminate making tacky jibes, even joking violance should not be posted in social media. I think within the next 10 years we are going to be seeing a lot more focus on the maturity expected in such platforms.

no, we have not lost the ability to laugh at ourselves, we have lost the ability for one group to make a seemingly harmless joke about another though. if you cant make fun of the species as a whole, or isolate it to a single individual, chances are someone is going to get upset.

-------------------------------------------

I dont feel slighted by the increasing social pressure to be aware of what we say, I think its been coming for a while, while I was in school bomb threats and school shootings were something taken seriously, it was no longer ok to jokingly express our frustration with images of violence. Taking that to heart, and applying it more thoroughly through your life or i should say MY life, honestly is not a big deal to me. I dont feel a hole where my inappropriate jokes may have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Okay. Lately we've seen some animated debate in the Mature Topics and EC+ forum, regarding LGBT and Trans/Gay issues and perceived oppression.
    Admittedly, I'm on the complete other side of the ledger. I'm straight, middle age, cis, white, and middle class.
    (Now let's be honest here. This thread is nothing more than an attempt to stir discussion!)
    But, given my somewhat privileged position, (privileged as being basically non-discriminated against,) what right do I have to feel discriminated against.

Should something annoy you, do you automatically start doubting yourself? Perhaps wondering if your being rascist, sexist, homophobic, elitist, ageist, confused, or otherwise ill informed?
    The problem is you've completely lost sight of yourself as an individual. You are not in any way, shape, or form responsible for other people's actions. The fact that you're not appalled by your being judged by the color of your skin and your sexuality is baffling.

white privilege is just an excuse used in a vain attempt to justify why it's okay to discriminate against you.
    Last edited by SleepyTyrant; 12-May-2017 at 16:03.

Uh... No; there are still plenty of ways that people judge or label you. You're always a minority in some regards.

I like to think I'm open-minded and well-informed; I'm not anti-discrimination or politically correct for the sake of it -- it's something that I generally think is a good idea.

But there are a few discriminatory things that irk me. How are the MOBO awards legal? Music of black origin?! Only black artists?! Why? It's inherently racist.

Years ago, there were a few nightclubs that would let women in free, while men had to pay. Totally sexist, so I refused to give them my custom. I haven't seen that nonsense for a while.

And still, heterosexuals are facing legal discrimination due to the fact that only gay people are permitted to be in a civil partnership, even after legal challenges! Totally heterophobic.

Also, I don't think we've lost the ability to laugh at discrimination/bigotry. Some lunatic was in the news for saying that homosexuality causes bad weather. So, every time there's a torrential downpour, someone will shake their head and say, "Fucking gays!". Obviously in jest -- the butt of the joke is superstitious homophobes, not gay people.

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Is there still a place for "implied offensive humour," or have we actually evolved past that?
    What's implied offensive humour? It doesn't matter whether you're being explicitly or implicitly offensive. Offensive humour is just... unthinking bigotry and hatred isn't it?

In summary, I really don't think that white, non-trans, middle-class males need to get their knickers in a twist over their "rights" being infringed just because they are no longer assumed to have a morally superior degree of skin pigmentation.

There are some nutjobs in the far-right who are so racist, homophobic, and self-centred that they pretend that white men are facing discrimination. In the US, the right-wing "White Lives Matter" propaganda convinces the easily misled that there can be no such thing as equality, and that black and white people must fight each other in a perpetual tit-for-tat to gain more rights over the other group.

But, for most people, I think commonsense prevails.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    There are some nutjobs in the far-right who are so racist, homophobic, and self-centred that they pretend that white men are facing discrimination. In the US, the right-wing "White Lives Matter" propaganda convinces the easily misled that there can be no such thing as equality, and that black and white people must fight each other in a perpetual tit-for-tat to gain more rights over the other group.
    how are they not facing discrimination? White privilege alone, is a discriminatory term. don't get me wrong, i completely disagree with any movement that segregates yourself from others for race identity politics. but there is discrimination on every side of these fences.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe4-7IgMbsg

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I really don't think that white, non-trans, middle-class males need to get their knickers in a twist over their "rights" being infringed just because they are no longer assumed to have a morally superior degree of skin pigmentation.
    you're lying to yourself if you think that them being "no longer assumed to have a morally superior degree of skin pigmentation" has anything to do with the other side of the argument. the fact that you think "that white, non-trans, middle-class males" should have no voice is a clear indication of you discriminating against them.
    Last edited by SleepyTyrant; 12-May-2017 at 18:19.

One of my professors told the class "You never have to apologize, you never have to justify, you never have to explain, as long as you are willing to accept the consequences". Seems like this would apply here.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    One of my professors told the class "You never have to apologize, you never have to justify, you never have to explain, as long as you are willing to accept the consequences". Seems like this would apply here.
    Tell that to the people who were driven to suicide thanks to bullies, and anti-....whatever. There absolutely ARE times when an apology is necessary, and even no amount of personal acceptance can make up for your actions.

Sorry to say, but your proffessor was just blatently wrong.

People are always going to be offended about something. You can't stop it. I shouldn't have to change what I write about in my stories nor should gaming companies change their games nor should TV shows change their TV shows or what they air on TV. However if a bunch of people get offended, then they do something about it but if it's a few people or a small group, they don't care. When you talk about something controversial, people will always get offended. You can't stop it. This isn't to be abused by saying whatever you want and being an asshole or being mean and insulting and be used to gaslight.

To be honest, I think everyone simultaneously receives oppression and privilege. Sometimes history leans one way more than another, but to hold future people of that class/race/gender/sexuality responsible for anything is ludicrous!

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo
    Tell that to the people who were driven to suicide thanks to bullies, and anti-....whatever.
    Hey! I'm good but I'm not that good.

(Hey Wombat! Is this the kind of thing you were referring to when you asked: "Has the era of the smart ass vanished completely? Can we no longer display sarcasm at the risk of offending someone?")