Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Renting and maintanance/reviews as an AB

  1. #1

    Default Renting and maintanance/reviews as an AB

    I am going to be moving to Missouri for a new job, and I'm contemplating what it will be like to rent my own place, but have to deal with management. I'm assuming that they have the obligation to review the status of my apartment every so often. Since I have a crib, and very much want to continue using it, but it is a pain to pull apart, I am wondering if I should just let them deal with it, or if I should go to some amount of effort to make my bedroom look normalish whenever they have to come by. I'm pretty sure they have to give a 24 hour heads up don't they?

  2. #2

    Default

    It varies by state to to state, but most are pretty close to the same. When you rent a house or apartment from anyone; they, by law, are not allowed to just walk in on you regardless if you are there or not. However, they can for any reason demand to be let in -with reasonable notice- and you, by law, are required to let them in.

    More likely though, you will be the one requesting they come by in a hurry to fix some broken whatever. As such, it's actually best to plan as if management/ maintenance IS going to be unexpectadely by at some point sooner or later.

    This said, your having and using a crib has no bearing on your ability to pay rent. So what if they see it, it's none or their business. Even if they ask, just brush it off and say some like, it's complicated, or you'd rather not talk about it, or if you're up to it tell them you're an ab, or whatever.

  3. #3

    Default

    You can always say that you sometimes babysit a friend's child.

  4. #4

    Default

    Hi, Tyger,
    Landlord-Tenant laws vary greatly depending on the region. My best advice would be to check with the government authority that administers the laws and regulations. In general, a landlord is required to give some sort of notice to enter a unit to do repairs or conduct an inspection. Obviously in the event of an emergency such as fire or flooding, no notice is required. What surprised me, looking through Missouri law sites is the fact that Missouri landlord-tenant law is actually silent on the specific notice periods that the landlord must provide for entry. It encourages best practices such as providing a minimum of 24 hours written notice for repairs, but it does not appear to be a requirememt of the law. In these cases, then the lease should address the amount of notice a landlord is required to give a tenant.

    It's not unreasonable for a landlord to conduct an annual inspection to ensure the there are no damages and check the smoke detectors, electrical, and plumbing.

    The crib in your unit is not a landlord-tenant matter since it does not harm the structure of the building, nor does it comtribute to anything illegal. In short, it's none of their business. If they needed to enter your unit to do repairs in the kitchen or bathroom, you could just leave the bedroom door closed and hopefully that would solve it. Usually most landlords have enough work to do, they won'-t notice or care about how tenants live unless they're disturbing other tenants.

    http://www.american-apartment-owners-association.org/landlord-tenant-laws/missouri/

  5. #5

    Default

    I am on strata of a 14 story downtown building.

    As previously stated, the building has a right to do periodic inspections for legal reasons.

    Fire inspection is one example.

    There is an aspect of legal right gives a chance to look for other other things, but believe me we don't care about stuff like a crib.

    Any large building has seen seriously bad stuff like meth labs and such.

    We don't care what you do if it does not endanger others. Building mangers have seen everything.

    We had escorts operating out of a unit and didn't opt to do anything until someone died in the unit. (heart attack, not drugs, so perhaps the sex was too good).

    Don't impact the lives of others or bring law enforcement into the building.

    Nobody cares what you do if you pay the bills and ensure your choices don't harm others.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    It varies by state to to state, but most are pretty close to the same. When you rent a house or apartment from anyone; they, by law, are not allowed to just walk in on you regardless if you are there or not. However, they can for any reason demand to be let in -with reasonable notice- and you, by law, are required to let them in.

    More likely though, you will be the one requesting they come by in a hurry to fix some broken whatever. As such, it's actually best to plan as if management/ maintenance IS going to be unexpectadely by at some point sooner or later.

    This said, your having and using a crib has no bearing on your ability to pay rent. So what if they see it, it's none or their business. Even if they ask, just brush it off and say some like, it's complicated, or you'd rather not talk about it, or if you're up to it tell them you're an ab, or whatever.


    Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Hi, Tyger,
    Landlord-Tenant laws vary greatly depending on the region. My best advice would be to check with the government authority that administers the laws and regulations. In general, a landlord is required to give some sort of notice to enter a unit to do repairs or conduct an inspection. Obviously in the event of an emergency such as fire or flooding, no notice is required. What surprised me, looking through Missouri law sites is the fact that Missouri landlord-tenant law is actually silent on the specific notice periods that the landlord must provide for entry. It encourages best practices such as providing a minimum of 24 hours written notice for repairs, but it does not appear to be a requirememt of the law. In these cases, then the lease should address the amount of notice a landlord is required to give a tenant.

    It's not unreasonable for a landlord to conduct an annual inspection to ensure the there are no damages and check the smoke detectors, electrical, and plumbing.

    The crib in your unit is not a landlord-tenant matter since it does not harm the structure of the building, nor does it comtribute to anything illegal. In short, it's none of their business. If they needed to enter your unit to do repairs in the kitchen or bathroom, you could just leave the bedroom door closed and hopefully that would solve it. Usually most landlords have enough work to do, they won'-t notice or care about how tenants live unless they're disturbing other tenants.

    http://www.american-apartment-owners-association.org/landlord-tenant-laws/missouri/



    Quote Originally Posted by pd8615 View Post
    I am on strata of a 14 story downtown building.

    As previously stated, the building has a right to do periodic inspections for legal reasons.

    Fire inspection is one example.

    There is an aspect of legal right gives a chance to look for other other things, but believe me we don't care about stuff like a crib.

    Any large building has seen seriously bad stuff like meth labs and such.

    We don't care what you do if it does not endanger others. Building mangers have seen everything.

    We had escorts operating out of a unit and didn't opt to do anything until someone died in the unit. (heart attack, not drugs, so perhaps the sex was too good).

    Don't impact the lives of others or bring law enforcement into the building.

    Nobody cares what you do if you pay the bills and ensure your choices don't harm others.
    Thanks you guys, having 3 people give pretty much the same conclusive answer with background / references makes me feel a little less afraid about the idea of setting up my crib there. I guess I'll just live how I normally do and not worry about it then.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    I am going to be moving to Missouri for a new job, and I'm contemplating what it will be like to rent my own place, but have to deal with management. I'm assuming that they have the obligation to review the status of my apartment every so often. Since I have a crib, and very much want to continue using it, but it is a pain to pull apart, I am wondering if I should just let them deal with it, or if I should go to some amount of effort to make my bedroom look normalish whenever they have to come by. I'm pretty sure they have to give a 24 hour heads up don't they?
    Hey, by the way, good luck with the new job. Sounds like some big changes ahead. Hope everything goes well.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Hey, by the way, good luck with the new job. Sounds like some big changes ahead. Hope everything goes well.
    Thanks, it has been a pretty big change already, new car (to me) first time apartment rental, closest person I know is 4 hours away (which actually isn't bad).

  9. #9

    Default

    You could say it's for medical reasons. For example, sleepwalking or spasms that often knock you to the ground in the middle of the night and that's your way of dealing with it. Could even say you've tried medical railing before but it wasn't enough particularly for the sleepwalking.

  10. #10

    Default

    Expect your summer to be hot as hell. The weather can get crazy there. For example, it'll be in the 90's for three days and the next two days are rainy. Believe me, I lived in Springfield, MO my whole life, so I would know.

    10 years ago, there was an ice storm and no one had power for ten days. Kids had to spend the first half of June in school to make up those lost days (it felt that way to me). Everyone in Springfield had to seek shelter at local churches or vacant places that ironically had electricity. I myself suffered severe hypothermia from no heat and stacking warm clothes didn't help. I went through like 5 bottles of medicine before it finally went away.

    In short, the weather patterns get unpredictable at times. BTW, good luck with your new life.

Similar Threads

  1. Renting.
    By LittleJess in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-Dec-2016, 05:24
  2. Diaper Reviews
    By Moo in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Oct-2013, 08:53
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-Jun-2013, 06:03
  4. Reviews
    By Justo in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Jun-2011, 19:30
  5. Diaper Reviews
    By RainPoncho in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Jun-2011, 03:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.