Not open for further replies.

Argent

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hi peeps,

Does anyone here LARP?

I remember seeing someone post something about a renaissance fair which sounded fabulous and I think has some crossover.

Anyway I have some questions about LARPing (since I am a humble pen and paper rolepayer currently.)

1. How do you pick an ideal weapon length for both one and 2 handed weapons? Is it based on your height or longer the better or just personal preference?

2. Is their a reliable person that can actually help build or customise a LARP character concept professionally but not insanely priced? Would definitely have to be someone that does this already not just anyone that can sew etc.

LARP = Live Action Role Play.

I don't do it myself, but I can say weapon blade length is determined by your own personal strength and proficiency with the weapon. Start off small and actually practice with it till you're good. Then move up to a larger size you're still somewhat comfortable with, and start over.

That's good advice for Boffer LARP - you don't take weapons or anything resembling to non-boffer games
I don't have much experience in boffer (mostly because I'm not sure enough of my control) but I have played many, many hours of non-boffer

I occasionally LARP with friends. Never with costumes just friendly sparring with some handmade weapons.

We've made all sorts of weapons of different classes. Normal sword and shield, throwable weapons, heavy two handed swords, spears, maces, bow and arrow, war hammers all different kinds. Most of them look pretty shabby and not very impressive but it's function over form in our case lol

No set dimensions it's all really trial and error.

We make our weapons out of styrofoam, pvc piping, tape, and scraps of fabric and foam salvaged from abandoned furniture and other bits and pieces we find. Like one of our shields is a fan guard taped over and painted to look like Steven's shield from Steven Universe. We swap weapons around and just use what feels right. But we do have "claimed" weapons that we have built ourselves.

I'm an archer myself.

My thanks, I hadn't heard the term boffer before and just assumed all LARP weapons were foam.

I watched some incredible LARPing near my place and most of them had really long weapons, bought some cheapy Strider swords (45") but found it a bit longer than I was comfortable with (maybe due to the poor balance) and wanted to go for shorter swords but was a bit unsure if that would put me at a disadvantage.

I think I prefer shorter weapons and one handed so might just buy a few more of various lengths and work my way up like Slomo said.

Anyone know where to get good larding accessories from?

Anyone have a recommendation for a LARP forum to gain advice from?

Maxx said:
Dabbled in fencing, kendo, and aikido back in the day...

That's cool as, I would love to learn Kendo at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back