Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is this really a fetish?

Default Is this really a fetish?

Sorry if this is a third rail.

I'm starting to think this isn't a fetish. I can't think of a time when I wasn't attracted to diapers. Can it really be a fetish if it predates the onset of puberty?

The "Describe your first diapers" thread really got me thinking about this. Everyone's experiences were from a young age.

Am I crazy? And if it isn't a fetish, what is it?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

NMDL, I suspect your post may stir up a bit of a hornets nest in responses!

Here goes my two pennies worth (reposted in part with apologies from a previous post)

Our community tends to polarize their arguments according to where on the spectrum they stand. For some it is purely sexual (and nothing wrong with that at all). That is a fetish. For some (like me) it is not sexual at all (again, nothing wrong with that). For many it's somewhere in the middle. It's how we are wired. I don't believe we can control that.

I get dismayed (and we do see it on this site from time to time) when members of our community (whatever that means) are intolerant to other members and/or towards members of the LGBT community because of their 'differences'. We are all unconventional in our own sweet way!

It's a bit like a transvestite picking a fight with a transgender person or vice versa because of what gives them the compulsion to wear clothes of the opposite sex. It doesn't help the standing of either community. We like to wear nappies/diapers - let's celebrate what is common between us rather than focusing on what distinguishes us.

Kind regards T3ddy

Quote Originally Posted by NMDL View Post
    Can it really be a fetish if it predates the onset of puberty?
    Of course it can. Puberty isn't some magical point where sexual urges and interest in sex begins. Puberty is just a set of physical changes that will intensify those things.

A fetish doesn't have to be sexual in nature, the definition encompasses a fixation or irrational obsession of an object.

I have loved diapers my entire life also. My earliest memories are around 3-4 years old when I found my old gerber pants and I used to wear them in bed. I distinctly remember getting rock hard then, even though puberty would not come for another decade. I would call that sexual arousal, yes I think even young kids can be aroused. Either that, or I'm abnormal.

fet·ish
    ˈfediSH/
    noun
    1. A form of sexual desire in which gratification is linked to an abnormal degree to a particular object, item of clothing, part of the body, etc.

I was sexually attracted to training pants as a young child multiple years before puberty.

In common usage the term fetish does usually apply to sexual attraction to a certain object or situation, but as Venesha pointed out it may also apply to a non-sexual fixation. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fetish

So if you wanted to get technical about it, you could say that anyone fixated on diapers for whatever reason has a diaper fetish - whether that fetish is sexual or not is up to them. With how the phrase is more commonly used though, some people who like diapers for reasons besides sexual arousal probably would prefer not to use the word fetish to describe their interests.

Is this really a fetish?
    I think you first need to define what you mean by "a fetish", then the answer should become more apparent.

Can it really be a fetish if it predates the onset of puberty?
    It depends on your definition, but I don't see why not.

And if it isn't a fetish, what is it?
    As a great philosopher once wrote, "It is what it is."

Quote Originally Posted by Venesha View Post
    A fetish doesn't have to be sexual in nature, the definition encompasses a fixation or irrational obsession of an object.
    I did not know that, one reason I rejoined this community was to try and learn more about my self as well as others. I do remember this mentioned in another post I made a while back but it did not just "click" into place till now.
    Thanks

^^ I think that's just a colloquial, metaphoric use of the word "fetish".

I've never heard it used to refer to anything other than either an amulet representing a god, or a (non-genital) object of sexual interest.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I might have had to narrow of a definition.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk