Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trump Fires FBI Director Comey During Investigation

Default Trump Fires FBI Director Comey During Investigation

Well, it looks like Trump is going to ensure that his second 100 days in office will be at least as controversial as his first.

Trump fired James Comey, the FBI Director who was in charge of investigating the possibility of collusion between his campaign team and Russia. The move has promted comparisons to Richard Nixon firing the special prosecutor during Watergate, with the motive of interfering with a probe that has the potential to jeopardize his administration.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...d-donald-trump

Trump claims Comey's firing was meant to "restore trust and confidence" in the FBI, but the decision more accurately raises questions about how the public can now be confident in the Russia investigation or in Trump's honesty and integrity. The decision will only serve to reduce the trust and confidence in the President's administration.

The firing was even more stunning based on Trump's rhetorical turn-about. Trump's administration essentially argued that Comey was unfair to Hillary Clinton in his handling of the investigation of her private e-mail server. How could anyone possibly believe this? Trump praised Comey throughout the campaign for his handling of the Clinton emails, saying 'it took guts' for him to go public with a new investigation a week prior to election day.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-s...mey-in-october

Secondly, in trump's 'You're Fired' letter to Comey he says he is acting on the advice of Attorney General Sessions as a key reason for the dismissal. The problem with believing that is that Sessions also has a very public record of defending and supporting Comey after his last minute intervention in the US election.

The other thing that makes it too incredible to believe is the fact that Trump reiterated his confidence in Comey shortly after taking office. It's impossible to believe that Comey's firing is anything but a political manouver to influence the outcome of the election.

Comey's dismissal also came a day after acting Attorney General told a Senate panel that she informed the White House on January 26th that Mike Flynn was at risk of blackmail by Moscow because he had been untruthful about his talks with the Russian ambassador Sergei Kislyak. Flynn was fired two weeks later.

Trump will now hand the appointment over to a person he can hand-pick to run the FBI and there's nothing that prevents him from appointing one of his cronies. His reasons for firing Comey at this particular period in time appear weak, transparent and self-serving.

I swear you posted this earlier? or am I tripping out from exhaustion O.o

That being said, does seem a bit fishy that he decided to fire him, (maybe trump is involved in something that he doesn't want people "sniffing there noses into" :/

It indeed does raise some eye brows.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post

Trump claims Comey's firing was meant to "restore trust and confidence" in the FBI, but the decision more accurately raises questions about how the public can now be confident in the Russia investigation or in Trump's honesty and integrity. The decision will only serve to reduce the trust and confidence in the President's administration.
    ...Have we ever been confident about Trump's honesty in the first place?

It's almost like Nixon all over again, except this time even the original Nixon is starting to look level headed and restrained.

And now Comey has stated he first heard of his firing via the media. That's low for even Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaWolfNagihiko View Post
    ...Have we ever been confident about Trump's honesty in the first place?
    Yeah, I was probably being overly charitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    It's almost like Nixon all over again, except this time even the original Nixon is starting to look level headed and restrained.

And now Comey has stated he first heard of his firing via the media. That's low for even Trump.
    Yeah, apparently Comey was in LA at the time it was announced in the media.

The whole situation is like OJ Simpson having the power to fire the judge presiding over his trial. As far as the media goes, I think it once again demonstrates Trump's arrogance. Trump likely never assumed his actions would create so much controversy in the media. No doubt he will simply dismiss this as 'fake news,' and continue to tweet out his alternative facts to his loyal followers.

This is how the truth gets killed.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 10-May-2017 at 16:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    The firing was even more stunning based on Trump's rhetorical turn-about. Trump's administration essentially argued that Comey was unfair to Hillary Clinton in his handling of the investigation of her private e-mail server. How could anyone possibly believe this? Trump praised Comey throughout the campaign for his handling of the Clinton emails, saying 'it took guts' for him to go public with a new investigation a week prior to election day.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-s...mey-in-october

Secondly, in trump's 'You're Fired' letter to Comey he says he is acting on the advice of Attorney General Sessions as a key reason for the dismissal. The problem with believing that is that Sessions also has a very public record of defending and supporting Comey after his last minute intervention in the US...
    Comey wasn't praised by trump until toward the end of the campaign, when the Hillary investigation was reopened.
    https://youtu.be/y2u0Xd1Itjc

Both democrats and republicans praised and shunned Comey at different points of the election.

Don't misunderstand, I've long since ran out of rope for trump, and im not defending him. I'm just really getting sick of all the Russian tin foil hats and the Nazi witch hunts.
    Last edited by SleepyTyrant; 10-May-2017 at 17:43.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTyrant View Post
    Comey wasn't praised by trump until toward the end of the campaign, when the Hillary investigation was reopened.
    https://youtu.be/y2u0Xd1Itjc

Both democrats and republicans praised and shunned Comey at different points of the election.

Don't misunderstand, I've long since ran out of rope for trump, and im not defending him. I'm just really getting sick of all the Russian tin foil hats and the Nazi witch hunts.
    As for the Russian stuff I really don't see the big-deal with Allying with Russia. Isn't the idea the more big powerful allies you have the more of A-war deterant to you have? Would have ended up in a long-drawn-out bloody war Between 2 countries that have enough fire power to wipe every living thing of the face of the Earth 3 times over.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    As for the Russian stuff I really don't see the big-deal with Allying with Russia. Isn't the idea the more big powerful allies you have the more of A-war deterant to you have? Would have ended up in a long-drawn-out bloody war Between 2 countries that have enough fire power to wipe every living thing of the face of the Earth 3 times over.

Well there's a lot to disagree with Russia politically, meaning there's also plenty of reason for putin to bear a grudge against us. We've been leading the charge on preventing further UK dependence from the Russians for example. Meaning there's plenty of pause for concern. However these conspiracy theorists take these maybes and blindly accept them as truths.

Until the conspiracy is proven, its not an actual conspiracy.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTyrant View Post
    Well there's a lot to disagree with Russia politically, meaning there's also plenty of reason for putin to bear a grudge against us. We've been leading the charge on preventing further UK dependence from the Russians for example. Meaning there's plenty of pause for concern. However these conspiracy theorists take these maybes and blindly accept them as truths.

Until the conspiracy is proven, its not an actual conspiracy.

Maybe if Obama hadn't have spent the last 8 years butting his nose where it didn't belong we wouldn't have as much ill will towards Russia. And Hillary set several times during the debates the 1st acts of office was gonna be declared war on Russia. Not a very smart move. She dug the hole herself. And while I don't agree with Russia's politics. It's not my country so it's not my business. Putin holds power in Russia therefore no one should be able say what goes except for Putin. That Would-be the same as me walking into your house unannounced and telling you that you're not allowed to do anything in your own home.

But I really don't see how it's such a surprise that comey got fired The second He got involved with the election He sealed his fate. Had HRC got elected he would have been fired for his handling of the emails anyway. He was doomed from the start

Last edited by Near; 14-May-2017 at 00:09.

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    Maybe if Obama hadn't have spent the last 8 years butting his nose where it didn't belong we wouldn't have as much ill will towards Russia. And Hillary set several times during the debates the 1st acts of office was gonna be declared war on Russia. Not a very smart move. She dug the hole herself. And while I don't agree with Russia's politics. It's not my country so it's not my business. Putin holds power in Russia therefore no one should be able say what goes except for Putin. That Would-be the same as me walking into your house unannounced and telling you that you're not allowed to do anything in your own home.

Your analogy is inaccurate. Nobody is talking about enforcing our views onto Russia. What people are talking about is allying ourselves with them. Countries have virtues they stand for, and the question is whether or not theirs conflicts with ours. Personally I dont view them as an enemy, but I'm not beyond speculation.

A better analogy would be like if you had a neighbor who's constantly drunk and beats/abuses their children. Obviously you're not gonna want to be friends with them.

Im all for an alliance for the sake of taking on Isis, but it's just silly to think it will work out beyond that. If both sides were serious about their goals, maybe we could set aside our differences. Unfortunately, politics will always get in the way of this.