Diaper leaking over top

Status
Not open for further replies.

islander

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I began wearing diapers to bed every night around 3 months ago. I guess things are going pretty fast in my case and I already had some uncontrolled night wetting happen to me. I like to go to bed when my diaper is already pretty wet and when I wet at night I usually wake up in a very saggy diaper. The problem is that it happened to me twice that my diaper leaked over the top. I know it was not on the sides because the wet patch was under my back and my shirt was wet too. I tried to avoid these issues by really making sure that my diaper is taped snugly around my body and that my p.... is pointing down. Do you have any tips for me how to avoid leaking at night? I usually wear Tena Maxi or M4.

To avoid leaks at night, best to have a dry diaper on. If it is wet it can't absorb as much.
I only have a leak once in a while, usually because of it being too wet.
I use the Goodnites bedwetting pads that you lay on your bed. They work pretty well.

Most diapers have a space between the top front of the diaper and the top of the absorbent padding. Leaking over the top at night can be reduced or eliminated by folding the unpadded part down inside and over the padding. This forms a leak-resistant pocket that makes leaks less likely. I also agree with Mickey's idea: Wear a dry diaper to bed.

Folding the waistbands inside the diaper helps avoid those kind of leaks.
I fold in the back and front waistband.

Also, if your diaper is taped on too tight it will tend to leak more, especially if a tape pops off.

What helped me was going up to a large at night.

You might also be wearing one size too small. If your diaper only extends up to just above your hips/belt line, then leaking over the top becomes a common problem.

Diapers are intended to extend up to your waist line (near your belly button) for this very reason. They need enough padding in the front to absorb and spread out your pee. Without that extra padding you'll just be trying to compensate unnecessarily. And no, you do not need to be pointing down. I'm well endowed, point up, and do not have this problem.

Other common problems is not going to bed with nothing more than a slightly wet diaper on, or not using an absorbent and thick diaper to begin with. You didn't mention which diaper you're using, but by going to bed already wet is going to make leaks more prone to happen.

Try going to bed dry, make sure you're using good overnight diapers, and make sure they are properly sized. Leaks should seldom ever occur if you follow this, and especially for sleeping on your back.

Either get used to sleeping while laying on your back or switch to cloth/plastic pants for bed.

I'm a wriggly sleeper, so I wear cloth at night, and it's worked for me.

well you could stop intentionally trying to make yourself wet. (I'm imagining if you started having actual accidents you are drinking more at night are you not?)

My answer is simple protect the bed use a washable bed pad under your sheet and relax leaks don't matter.

Washable reusable Bed Pad with as full waterproof matress protector (Leaks happen its no big deal)
Allways put in a fresh dry diaper just before you go to bed

I had the same problem, I purchased high back plastic pants that cover my night time diaper. Leaking comes from urine wicking outside your diaper

ST50 said:
My answer is simple protect the bed use a washable bed pad under your sheet and relax leaks don't matter.
I dunno...i mean extra laundry like that can be a pain. But yea, it definitely helps.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

SleepyTyrant said:
I dunno...i mean extra laundry like that can be a pain. But yea, it definitely helps.

Washing a wet bedpad is a LOT LESS laundry than having to was all of your bed sheets (in addition to dryong out your mattress).

Slomo said:
Washing a wet bedpad is a LOT LESS laundry than having to was all of your bed sheets (in addition to dryong out your mattress).
Well obviously you get the mattress pad regardless. But not everyone has the option to just do that level of laundry at the drop of a hat. I mean for blankets and sheets I usually have to go to the laundromat.

No, Your first reply was that having to wash a bed pad is too much extra laundry. I said it's a lot less before, because if the bed pad has done its job then you won't need to wash any sheets at all. The bed pad alone is a lot less laundry versus no bed pad and a whole lot of sheets.

If you're having to wash the pads AND your sheets, then either you're doing something wrong, or need better pads.

Slomo said:
No, Your first reply was that having to wash a bed pad is too much extra laundry. I said it's a lot less before, because if the bed pad has done its job then you won't need to wash any sheets at all. The bed pad alone is a lot less laundry versus no bed pad and a whole lot of sheets.

If you're having to wash the pads AND your sheets, then either you're doing something wrong, or need better pads.
wait, so you use a pad in place of a fitted sheet? back when i was a bedwetter, my parents put them under the fitted sheet, and even the hotel i used to work at put them on under. i don't really like advertising the pad, so yea...i put it under my sheets too.

SleepyTyrant said:
wait, so you use a pad in place of a fitted sheet? back when i was a bedwetter, my parents put them under the fitted sheet, and even the hotel i used to work at put them on under. i don't really like advertising the pad, so yea...i put it under my sheets too.

Nope, I use a pad in addition to my sheets. I see where the confusion is though, I put my pad on top of my fitted sheet, but obviously under my top sheet. When I do get a diaper leak it's just a matter of tossing the pad in the laundry basket and putting on a clean one. No need to change any of the sheets this way.

It's a bit odd your parents would have put it under the sheets though, thats what a waterproof mattress cover is for (which I also have, but obviously under the fitted sheet). It seems a pad under the sheet would kind of defeat the purpose.

SleepyTyrant said:

It was the same for me. Atop the mattress was a rubber sheet followed by a pad and lastly bottom sheet. Had a cousin who also wet, his bed was the same.

I wear premium diapers to bed with a booster pad and plastic pants, and have been for eleven years. Early on I had leakage issues at night, and on a couple of occasions totally wet the bed. Traced the problem to the upper tapes loosening as I moved around in my sleep. Once I started supplementing my upper tapes at night with packing tape, the leaks stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back