Not open for further replies.

WildBlueCrinkle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Incontinent
Found an almost perfect Mooney at a price I couldn't pass up. Of course, now that I'm an owner, I'm starting to realize how much the rental shops have to deal with (week 1 of ownership: pitot/static system & transponder certification; Jeppesen GPS database subscription).

It's all the way across the country, now; gotta go pick it up and fly it home. Padded of course! :)

Similar to this one...IMG_3092.JPG

wow nice deal!

I'm glad that the nickle and dime fees that go with owning a plane are not keeping you down (hard not to make a joke here and there.)

is there anywhere special your planning on flying her?

Don't smaller airports often have clubs or timeshare/rental agreements too? You might be able to bring in a little extra cash when you're not using it. Just a thought anyways.

MommyandMattling said:
I'm glad that the nickle and dime fees that go with owning a plane are not keeping you down (hard not to make a joke here and there.)

Still better than paying rental overhead (I 'wasted' five figures last year over what it'll cost me to feed and maintain her, plus an engine/prop reserve)!

is there anywhere special your planning on flying her?

Have to get her home first. But, nowhere in particular. At some point I want to do a North America / Europe trip, maybe as far down as Australia. I know a guy who did it (in reverse) in a homebuilt KR-2, so, it's possible...

- - - Updated - - -

Slomo said:
Don't smaller airports often have clubs or timeshare/rental agreements too? You might be able to bring in a little extra cash when you're not using it. Just a thought anyways.

That's a whole other thing, and a whole different (quadruple the price) insurance situation. Not really worth it. And when you've got it with a club, you're taking away the biggest reason to own a plane - being able to hop in and go, whenever you want, wherever you want, for as long as you want...

I don't have that good of an understanding about how a private person can have a plane. Where is it kept lol?
Do you just drive to the airport its at and get in and take off.

SO COOL! I miss having my Jeep. The freedom of just going somewhere else.
Chevy impalas just can't match rock crawling in a jeep(or soaring through the air in your own plane).

Congrats man , up and away on a crinkle holiday , when I was young I had a school principal who was a pilot and owned a plane , when he found out ,who my childhood hero was we got tight and he would take me flying ,if he hadn't of I would probably never have gotten to fly in one and my life would never have been the same , Major Boyington had a squadron during WW II ,I still have a copy of his biography that i repurchased as an adult gotta respect that renegade spirit .Nothing like taking a joy ride and coming home in a rearz because you can !

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Drivers have garages, pilots have hangers with a side of serious man cave.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

My son-in-law owned a small plane with another person and this worked out well for them for a number of years. Eventually he gave it up because it was becoming more and more expensive.

Essentially you would rent a hangar like you would an apartment. Lock it up while you're away, unlock it and retrieve your plane when you want.

Welcome to airplane ownership. I've owned my plane since 1995 and I live next to my hangar.

MickeyM said:
I don't have that good of an understanding about how a private person can have a plane. Where is it kept lol?
Do you just drive to the airport its at and get in and take off.

It really depends on the Amount of space you have if you having of property you could build a private runway in your backyard
And then just build a hangar in your backyard keep the plane you'd still have to file a flight report with air traffic But for the most part it be kept on your private Property however you'd still Probably need to rent space at an airport anywhere you go to For the duration of your stay. I attempted a pilot licence in high school But I ran out of money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You pay for a tie-down or a hangar, and then yeah, pull your car up to the plane, transfer luggage, and leave the car where the plane was parked. Or Uber, or... Similarly, when you get to your destination, pay a small nightly tie-down or ramp fee to the airport operator or an FBO on the field.

- - - Updated - - -

w0lfpack91 said:
you'd still have to file a flight report with air traffic

In the US at least, unless flying in the Instrument Flight Rules system, no flight plan or report is required.

Picked up the plane. I was padded, and glad of it - the airport I picked her up from had no fuel available (ForeFlight said it did, but it did not). I took her to Jackson County Airport for fuel, and there was no bathroom. I got diverted due to weather out to Mount Sterling, Kentucky, where the airport was buttoned up for the night and a storm was approaching and there is no Uber, Lyft, bus, or cab service. By the time I got to the hotel I'd been nonstop without access to 'facilities' for about 10 hours straight. Diapers: The aviator's practical choice. Anyway, 2300 nautical miles later, we're both home safely, and while she's got some rough edges and will be (especially with avionics) a project, she's solid, fast, and hella fun!

I first read the headline as "Bought a planet". Definitely cool, but transportation would be rough.

Congrats. Life time pilot too...never had means to own. For me its wash and wax planes for cheap rents

God damn Pitot tubes. I hate those fricken things!

InfamousRhino said:
God damn Pitot tubes. I hate those fricken things!

Um, really? Why? I kinda like knowing how fast I'm going. Especially in my plane, where you have to hit your approach / landing speeds spot on or you'll float forever.

Congrats on the plane, I was introduced to flying by my parents when i was about 5, they both got their ticket by buying a J3 for training, then moved up to a tripacer. I got my ticket in 74 but never owned a plane ( not counting a ultralight ) but i was able to rent for cheap and was about the only person that used that rental keys were on a clipboard under the seat and for 38 bucks an hour wet i managed to flay about two hours a week for a long time. finialy lost my med-cert when i had a heart attack so all done without jumping though all the hoops to get a waiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back