Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: America's Pastime

Default America's Pastime

I write this topic in the interest of the MLB season staring out this week. I am a football fan that is in development as a baseball fan. This is a question that has been in my mind so many times before but always bring consideration and thought each time that I think of it: Is baseball America's pastime in today's age?

Personally because I am a deep football fan and seeing the overall hype and glamour that the Super Bowl brings each year, I think in today's age football has emerged as a dominant sport that has molden itself into America's pastime. So what do you think?

Oh yea go yanks!!!

Well, since I'm first on, I agree with you that football is now America's past time. Baseball was the great sport, but that was during a different time. Having been around for a while, I can remember when bosses would allow their male workforce to take an afternoon off an take in the game. As a child, I grew up with the great sportscasters like Mel Allen and Red Barber. They could make the game come alive, and this was during a time when most people didn't have air conditioning. So during those long hot summer days, you'd turn the radio up and go outside, sitting under a tree and listen to the game. Or maybe you'd go on your porch with a glass of lemon aide or root beer, and take in the action. Television was blurry black and white, but I can remember seeing Willy Mays running out to the fence and catching the ball over his shoulder. It was exciting to see the duel threat of the Yankees, Mantle and Marris, with Whitey Ford at the mound. This was when it was a great game, and the players played for a lot less money. There was a love for the sport. Instead of steroids, they go out on the field with a few beers in them. Tickets would cost a buck or two, but those days are long gone, along with the lifestyle. I'm glad I was able to experience one of the great golden ages of the sport.

They need to shorten baseball season and the game itself ....one game doesnt matter of you play 120 or whatever it is a season....and Please can we have some homegrown players?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_lupine06 View Post
    They need to shorten baseball season and the game itself ....one game doesnt matter of you play 120 or whatever it is a season....and Please can we have some homegrown players?
    1st Chicago White Sox 89 74 .546
    2nd Minnesota Twins 88 75 .540 1

The White Sox defeated the Twins 1-0 in a one-game playoff to win the AL Central.

Every game does count.

I'll agree, football is great and I love it, but I baseball is truly america's sport, probably due to the fact that it is generally much easier to see a football game in person. In football, your home team will only have 8 home games a year. Yes, going to a football game is an event with the tailgating and whatnot, but for many football teams, it's quite difficult and expensive to get tickets. If I'm not mistaken, the waiting list for season tickets to the Packers is several decades long. On the other hand, baseball plays so many home games that it's easy to get to see a game live, and there's something special about seeing a game in person at the stadium versus on TV.

I'm not a big football fan. I can take it or leave it. I do like watching pro football on TV. I am a Saints and LSU fan...lol. I like baseball more than football. I am hoping that this year will be the year the Houston Astros return to the World Series....like a repeat of 2005, cept this time they win the Series!!

GO 'STROS!!

*High Fives Zekk* Go Stros!

I hate football. Baseball is way more exciting. I like the SuperBowl though.

'Sides, it's way easier to get into a baseball game.

I still think baseball is America's Pastime.

--The Silent Assassin--

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
    *High Fives Zekk* Go Stros!

I hate football. Baseball is way more exciting. I like the SuperBowl though.

'Sides, it's way easier to get into a baseball game.

I still think baseball is America's Pastime.

--The Silent Assassin--
    Assassin..Dude..I totally agree with you. Baseball ROCKS!

GO STROS!!

Quote Originally Posted by tk7432 View Post
    I write this topic in the interest of the MLB season staring out this week. I am a football fan that is in development as a baseball fan. This is a question that has been in my mind so many times before but always bring consideration and thought each time that I think of it: Is baseball America's pastime in today's age?

Personally because I am a deep football fan and seeing the overall hype and glamour that the Super Bowl brings each year, I think in today's age football has emerged as a dominant sport that has molden itself into America's pastime. So what do you think?

Oh yea go yanks!!!
    I disagree that football is America's pastime now. The reason there is so much hype about football games, especially the Super Bowl, is that there are only 19 games including the postseason. There are far over 100 in baseball. Think about it like this: if Christmas was everyday, nobody would be as excited. But Christmas comes only once a year, so it's a huge deal. See?

Edit: Go Red Sox.
    Last edited by Kovy; 07-Apr-2009 at 20:26. Reason: Red Sox Rule (Not a bandwagon fan, my grandfather and father liked them as boys, too)