Duct tape on diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichiganDL89

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
How many of you have or do use duct tape on your diapers? I have it on mine right now.

I have used it through out the years as a good helper when it dought.

I have used clear packing tape on occasion to help secure bad tapes or create a landing zone. Can't say I ever used Duct tape. It just would look awful in my opinion.

Definitely used packing tape both clear and an awful brown one on diapers that have had melted spots on them or known SAP pinholes.

I understand strong tape can be used where the diapers one tapes fail but maybe that would mean cutting the diaper off later?

I've used it when the tapes won't stick anymore.

My parents told me they did when I was a toddler.

Nope. I use diapers that have tape which actually work. And for the unusual batch which has bad tapes, I use packing tape. It works just as good, AND is easier to remove by hand.

I use duct tape for added security.

To clear up some confusion: Duct tape is not clear. That would be packing tape. Duct tape is usually gray or olive green in color and is not see through. It has plastic or nylon threads throughout the tape to give it strength. It is not very smooth nor makes for a comfortable feel on a diaper. It is the tape you will see in movies that the villan might use to cover someone's mouth so they can't scream out (please do not use it for that reason as you could seriously hurt someone). I believe what most are referring to when talking about the clear, wide, seliphane type tape that is usually in 2" or so wide rolls, is good old packing tape.

I never use tape before the diaper tab fails (that is, as a prevention). I will only use tape after a diaper tab has failed.

With that said, I normally use packing tape as it is cheaper and easier to use, although I did use duct tape once when I had run out of packing tape.

I have a roll of grey at hand for emergencies at home, prefer to use white though (comes in a variety of colours) so it doesn't stand out too much.

Have also used clear packing tape to make a landing zone

That's cool.

I'm not sure what kind of packing tape that you guys use that it's easier to tear than duct tape. Any packing tape I have ever used I have to have scissors or a dispenser to cut it. But duct tape I can tear off pieces easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True Duct tape, like packing tape, is not that easy to cut without scissors. Just a bit easier. You may be thinking of masking tape or painters tape. This a thinner, paper based tape designed to be used when painting a straight line. It peels off easy and can be torn without scissors. It is usually beige, blue or green.
The other type of plastic based, thicker tape is electrical tape (used to insulate exposed wires so you don't get a shock or short). This tends to be narrow in width, comes in many colors, is softer in feel due to its thicker, non fiborous, construction (unlike duct tapes rough fibers) and is quite smooth. It can work with diapers for its nice feel and variety of colors. Tough to cut without scissors as it tend to stretch when pulled (also making it an interesting choice with diapers as they fill up and expand).

AAO said:
I'm not sure what kind of packing tape that you guys use that it's easier to tear than duct tape. Any packing tape I have ever used I have to have scissors or a dispenser to cut it. But duct tape I can tear off pieces easily.

Surprising.

As Barnboy said, I find that I need to use scissors whether I use packing tape or duct tape (or use the cutting edge supplied with most rolls of packing tape). Scissors make it so much easier to cut than trying to use my hands and fingers.

I use Duct Tape to help keep my diaper snug it works like a charm, I was using plain white duxt tape at first but now just use the original gray tape

Barnboy said:
True Duct tape, like packing tape, is not that easy to cut without scissors. Just a bit easier. You may be thinking of masking tape or painters tape. This a thinner, paper based tape designed to be used when painting a straight line. It peels off easy and can be torn without scissors. It is usually beige, blue or green.
The other type of plastic based, thicker tape is electrical tape (used to insulate exposed wires so you don't get a shock or short). This tends to be narrow in width, comes in many colors, is softer in feel due to its thicker, non fiborous, construction (unlike duct tapes rough fibers) and is quite smooth. It can work with diapers for its nice feel and variety of colors. Tough to cut without scissors as it tend to stretch when pulled (also making it an interesting choice with diapers as they fill up and expand).

I'm a farmer. I know what duct tape is and am pretty experienced with it. Maybe that's why I don't have any problem tearing it. We even special order ours to get a better quality than what is found on most store shelves. I also know the difference between packing, masking and electrical tape.

AAO said:
I'm a farmer. I know what duct tape is and am pretty experienced with it. Maybe that's why I don't have any problem tearing it. We even special order ours to get a better quality than what is found on most store shelves. I also know the difference between packing, masking and electrical tape.

No worries AAO, just put it out there for anyone that may not know the differences.

My reply probably came across a little harsher than I meant it to. I just wanted to point out that even though I know what all the different tapes are I'm still confused that people find packing tape easier to use than duct tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back