Painting Table Top Minatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagicMeow

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Hello everyone!

I am getting into painting table top miniatures lately, the kinds used for table top games, I dont really play the games themselves, However I am finding the painting process to be very enjoyable.

I mostly am using citadel paints, and the Games Workshop models.

Is there anyone else on adisc who enjoys this hobby? any advice from old hands while painting?

I am getting a bit more into the dry brushing part, for highlights although, I do sometimes get a bit over zealous with the paints..

anyone have any cool minis they want to share?

I have done the painting of figurines for my model railroad. It can be fun, but it can also be frustrating.

I know it is backwards from what I would think, but start small and move out.

The big thing is to use fine tipped brushes and be cheap with the paint load, or you will smug the work.

wow thats really neat Egor , I never knew you did train sets and scenery, do you have any pictures???

Wish I had the skills for that as minis are super cool (so are train sets.)

I used to play Battletech but could never paint the minis well enough back then... Seeing people's 40k stuff nowadays is truly seeing works of art.

Quite a while ago I remember talking to a guy that was designing his own game called Gunslave which looked incredible... hope he does it one day, if he does I am definitely going to need some help with mini painting.

a couple shots of my latest model, It would be great to see other's as well 20170502_164404.jpg

20170502_164423.jpg

MommyandMattling said:
wow thats really neat Egor , I never knew you did train sets and scenery, do you have any pictures???

I do but they are old camera pictures and I have a hard time getting digital on line, so I will not be able to do that.

Side note. They are pictures of my layout that I had before I got married. My Wife was like an airline stewardess when she "helped me" take it down; "Thank you being here don't hurry to come back".

everyone makes sacrifices, I know that some people have some pretty amazing scenes, Did you have a conductor hat? please tell me you did.

My best friend does this. He plays 40 K. He's painted hundreds and I think he is pretty good at it. Pm me and let me know if you have any questions you want me to ask him.

I most certainly will send you a PM, do you know which models he likes to paint the most? or which paints he uses? I'd love to start doing terrain, which is why I had hoped egor had some pictures of his train set up

MommyandMattling said:
I most certainly will send you a PM, do you know which models he likes to paint the most? or which paints he uses? I'd love to start doing terrain, which is why I had hoped egor had some pictures of his train set up

Well...no, but I will ask him. He paints races in 40 K. I know he has painted space marines and he uses magnifying glass and several lights, both on stands, so he can see them clearly (no shadows).

MommyandMattling said:
Hello everyone!

I am getting into painting table top miniatures lately, the kinds used for table top games, I dont really play the games themselves, However I am finding the painting process to be very enjoyable.

Well I'm more of a miniature player than painter, but I did discover the enjoyment of painting due to my desire for a pretty table.

I find I really enjoy painting while watching TV with my wife, it's relaxing and satisfying, and ... it makes me be able to spend time with her, half paying attention to shoes that she likes which I'm not totally into. ^_^;; I have a bamboo tray where I keep all my stuff.

The best investment I've made have been head mounted magnifiers and a pack of disposable gloves!

I use mostly Vallejo paints, as I do a lot of armor and WWII infantry. I'm not so good at drybrushing and highlight techniques, so I usually do base coats of color, hit the accent areas (heads and hands, then boots and rifles for infantry, tracks for armor), then I use washes of Secret Weapon paints to bring out the detail.

I dunno if I have pictures... I guess I can take some with my phone.

I've heard really good things about vallejo paints, the feller at the hobby store was pushing them as "painting with water"

I invested in a small magnifying lens and some adjustable clamps with arms that are attached too it, in retrospect, the idea of a head-lens magnification system makes me drool..Wish I had gone that route =\

not familiar at all with secret weapon, but I LOVE washes, Im going to go look them up right meow.

I hope you do post pictures!!
I use an old drill case that I filled with foam to store my paints and brushes, it travels nicely, but I would love a bamboo tray, maybe something with one of those adjustable LED book lights attached to it?

I had tried to cut back on the amount of paint I am using, as per the instructions earlier in this thread (thank you egor!), but its hard!

MommyandMattling said:
everyone makes sacrifices, I know that some people have some pretty amazing scenes, Did you have a conductor hat? please tell me you did.

Nope. Engineer!

egor said:
Nope. Engineer!

classic, I have a conductor hat that I received with a pair of snap crotch short-alls I ordered once, But i don't have any trains...kinda oxymoronic of me

AdorableRabbit said:
They're not expensive!
https://www.amazon.com/PHYHOO-Head-...948419&sr=8-3&keywords=head+mounted+magnifier

I got one something like this... it's great!

I also now use it for splinters...

Oh interesting, the lenses just snap right in, that is pretty reasonable, looks like I know what i'm getting next.

as for splinters, my first memory of magnifying lenses was because I had a splinter XD

I've always enjoyed table top miniature games but alas I don't know anyone near me that also enjoys them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back