Incontinence and sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanOtter

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I consider myself to be a pretty fit and active guy, i surf, swim, mountain bike, go to the gym and play rugby. As someone who's also incontinent though there is always another dimension to any activity that I have to contend with - is my diaper or incontinence going to get in the way or interfere with me doing an activity. Water sports are fine, you're wet already and to be honest, it's probably the only time i feel completely free and in any way 'normal'. For everything else though i have to juggle wearing protection that is absorbent enough to contain my incontinence yet not interfere with what I'm doing. On a bike it's fine, my standard M4 or Dry 24/7 and a booster means i can keep riding and it doesn't interfere with my enjoyment. Rugby is a big thing for me and I've been having problems, i don;t like the bulk of a nappy so tend to wear a pull up which is fine for a games worth or urine, lately though I've been experiencing bowel urgency when i exert myself and this has been really affecting my game, the same when i'm in the gym. I recently got some Peristeen plugs from my urologist to try and they are good but they aren't something you forget about as it were. I was wondering what anyone else out there has done to try and tackle (no pun intended) problems like this. I want to run the London marathon next year but have no idea how I'd last for 26 miles of constant running without some serious help. Any advice? Cheers.

I'm going to be a bit useless here with suggestions - I'm not sure I have any - but I can sympathise with the problem of wondering if your current choice if protection would be sufficient or appropriate.

For a long marathon you need something breathable and high capacity but also that will go under shorts or jogging bottoms I guess. I'm not sure there is much in the way of high capacity discrete protection unless you're able to cover it up. Be minded to suggest a breathable Tena Slip Ultima cloth back and some sort of t-shirt onesie in a dark or grey colour to keep it in place and hide it too.

On your topic of water sports I can't say I go that far but I have been swimming a fair bit at the local pool lately. I keep wondering and feel guilty about the fact that on occasion given my condition accidents of the watery type can happen but ofcourse ... who can tell ... there's kind of no rule ... though you wouldn't choose to do it on purpose - does anyone else swim and pretend nothings happened? I'm not talking about BMs here mind. Just leaks. Sorry but off topic lol

Hope you get yourself a solution and good luck for the marathon if you do it. Maybe an idea would be to try some smaller marathons and gauge how things would work out?

I commend you on your attitude and commitment to activities and sports you obviously enjoy participating in, even though incontinent. You are not letting incontinence control your life , and there are other regular contributors who aren't either. I have no advice for you, except this, which applies to every one of us:

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams!

And this i just saw on an Expedia commercial:

It is not where you start, but where you finish.

Best of luck in all your endeavors, including the marathon!

thenexus said:
I'm going to be a bit useless here with suggestions - I'm not sure I have any - but I can sympathise with the problem of wondering if your current choice if protection would be sufficient or appropriate.

On your topic of water sports I can't say I go that far but I have been swimming a fair bit at the local pool lately. I keep wondering and feel guilty about the fact that on occasion given my condition accidents of the watery type can happen but ofcourse ... who can tell ... there's kind of no rule ... though you wouldn't choose to do it on purpose - does anyone else swim and pretend nothings happened? I'm not talking about BMs here mind. Just leaks. Sorry but off topic lol

I think if we are honest we all do that - a bit of extra water won't hurt after all

IMG_0206.JPG

SiriusPup said:
I think if we are honest we all do that - a bit of extra water won't hurt after all

View attachment 29164

I've always done it in the pool! I swim competitively from 15 - 25, even making the UK team and it was one of those unsaid things. EVERYONE did it.

I used to wear goodnites when playing tennis, and I ran cross country in depends real fit. It chafed at times, and it was super obvious that I was wearing them (especially when I was wet) but my team and coach were cool with it. I think real fit is the best for sports, but I don't have bowel incontinence. If you find a better diaper for sports let me know :) i'm also an athlete

izzywop said:
I used to wear goodnites when playing tennis, and I ran cross country in depends real fit. It chafed at times, and it was super obvious that I was wearing them (especially when I was wet) but my team and coach were cool with it. I think real fit is the best for sports, but I don't have bowel incontinence. If you find a better diaper for sports let me know :) i'm also an athlete

I also like the Real Fit for comfortable active-wear. Also think the new ones are an improvement on the older design. It's my go-to daytime pull-up. Not much of a runner, but ski, bike, kayak, climb, backpack...have yet to find a better diaper for sports (for me).

- - - Updated - - -

UrbanOtter said:
I consider myself to be a pretty fit and active guy... I want to run the London marathon next year but have no idea how I'd last for 26 miles of constant running without some serious help. Any advice? Cheers.

Really just want to give you kudos, man. It's really cool to read stories like yours. I wish I had advice to offer but I dont. Do you think you'd be able to establish a pit-stop place somewhere along the marathon route to change? Hope you keep chasing those goals and continue to challenge the misconceptions out there about IC life.

I'm in diapers full time, but I usually wear a depends pull-up with a boxer brief over it when working out, running or playing ultimate. It won't handle a bm, but it will hold a couple of small wettings. When it's really hot out and I'm sweating a lot, I won't wear anything because #1 I'm probably dehydrated and #2 if I pee my pants it won't matter much, because my pants are already wet.

Like you, I try to remain active. I might be retired but I don't let my IC stop me from what I enjoy activity-wise. I do have some control of my bladder but my bowel urgency is severe (see my profile for a more detailed explanation). I often use my diapers for #1 due to the difficulty in trying to get "free" for bathroom use. I take several large doses of a bulk producing fiber supplement (metamucil) to keep BM's solid. While out at the golf course I just wear a Confi-dry 24/7 with a booster and plastic pants. Since I prefer to walk I wear elastic compresion shorts over my protection. I pull them up high and tuck the leggings up my thighs into the crease between my thighs and the diaper. I've found this prevents chaffing even on warm days. It also compresses the bulkyness of my diapers. I do the same for walking and kayaking among other pursuits. I don't get in the water much (except fo kayaking) but I use the same systm. With some baggy long shorts (8' inseam) I can still remain stealth.
I think the important thing is to not stop doing things we love to do. I imagine it's more difficult for those that work. Being out all day I would think involves a change or two. I've never been able to get comfortable with public changes. Mostly because I just don't feel clean without a shower after a BM accident. With Nullo deoderant tablets I don't worry about odor. A liberal amount of Desitin ointment prevents rashes when I end up with a BM in my diapers for several hours or longer. When I know I'm going to be out for a considerably longer duration I use a different system. It's not uncommon for me to experience 3 or more bowel releases during a long day out so my protection and stealth methods change. I can go casual or retired beach bum and nobody would be able to tell without really close observation. My point is that a normal if somewhat inconvenient life is possible.

I'm a runner and wear 247. Not really an issue. compression shorts over the diaper to hold everything in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back