Service in hotels (two questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLPJ

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I have recently come back from an out of town conference. My first night at a high end hotel I put on some protection and crashed, I was burnt out by my day's work followed by a long flight. In the morning I wrapped up my diaper in a bag and disposed of it in the bin in the washroom. The following night I padded up and headed for bed that's when I noticed a pad under the sheets, I was so tiered the first night I am not sure if it was there. See picture bellow. So that's the story here are the questions.

1) Do motels add pads to the beds if they notice diapers in the trash or the room?

2) If they do add extra protection to their mattress do you ever give advanced warning that their will be some one using diapers when checking in?

9ecfd42b0eb61c02e8568d96cfc67e65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's new to me. Pretty cool though

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I have no first-hand information but here is some educated guesses from what I have read on ADISC in the past:

Question 1: I wouldn't be surprised if the hotel staff would add some extra protection to the bed if there was an indication of diaper use. This is just a way of preserving the mattress.

Question 2: Yes, hotels will add extra protection to their beds if you give advance notice (unless they put this type of protection on all beds).

I have never seen that in the wild spontaneously
I have asked for bed coverage and naturally got it
There was a time early on in my condition that it would have mortified me to ask ,and never saw that.
I have come back to my room after housekeeping finding my diapers in the trash had added coverage , so yes it wouldn't surprise me , but let's face it the risk of angering or embarrassing a customer is a lot less than a ruined mattress .
I am not even slightly shy of saying I am IC I wet the bed please put a cover on the bed even though I bring my own bed pads , you can never have too much protection .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Tetra said:
I have never seen that in the wild spontaneously
I have asked for bed coverage and naturally got it
There was a time early on in my condition that it would have mortified me to ask ,and never saw that.
I have come back to my room after housekeeping finding my diapers in the trash had added coverage , so yes it wouldn't surprise me , but let's face it the risk of angering or embarrassing a customer is a lot less than a ruined mattress .
I am not even slightly shy of saying I am IC I wet the bed please put a cover on the bed even though I bring my own bed pads , you can never have too much protection .

I am sorry but I don't understand your response. First you say you never saw what I described. And then you seam to say it happened to you. Could you elaborate a bit more on your first point?

Never had a bed pad but did come back to find a very noisy plastic over over the matteras after the maid obviously found a nappy in the bin.

It would be fun too hear from someone in the motel industry on this one. I wonder what it's like from their point of view ?

It's never happened to me and I leave several diapers in the hotel trash each day. At home I toss them as is, but in hotels I individually bag them. Never had a hotel add a bed pad or anything. I wear super premium diapers to bed (Better Dry) and never leak with them.

tldr: most hotels put pads on beds to protect the mattress

I'm in hotels several months out of the year (for the past few years, I've managed a few weeks at home, a few months at work owned accommodations, and almost half the year in hotels.

One of my concerns is bedbugs, given how many places I've stayed. I've also come across fleas, scabies mites, and other vectors. Not pleasant; but, this brings me to ...

When I first walk into my room, from a five-star hotel in the Middle East or Europe, to the scraggly hole in the wall in Africa, or the lowest price one-star in the US, I typically either leave my bags in the hallway for a moment (if it is safe) or place them in the bathtub (if it is dry). Then, I grab my flashlight and begin an inspection.

In almost all of the European countries I've been to, most of the Middle East (UAE, Qatar, and Oman; but not so much in Jordan or Iraq), and in almost every hotel in the US, there are pads on the bed to begin with. Mattresses are expensive; spills, bedwetting, bugs, etc. will all lead to a mattress that, in many locations, must be replaced. At the least, that room would be unusable until the mattress dried. So a pad is a cheap insurance policy.

Not all of these pads are the 'best quality', so I've found plenty of mattresses with questionable stains beneath any pad; and I've also found pads that were little more than a cotton or polyester top but offered no real liquid barrier. I could not understand this; but I would be curious if the pad shown above was actually waterproof.

Most of the better hotels will put a higher-end pad with PUL or similar; others will just put a vinyl mattress cover on and then put a cheap cotton pad over.

Given my bedwetting habit, if I do go to a hotel and find there is no pad, or there is no water proof pad, I will either ask for one, or use disposable pads (like Pampers Bedmats or Huggies Goodnights pads (I carry a few with my diapers, just in case).

Funny you mention this , my mom taught me to always put my suitcase closed in the tub , because lots of people bring varmints home that hitched a ride on their suitcase from leaving open on the floor ,most clean decent people wonder where they got the bed bugs or other things , one of the largest apartment complexes around here ( I think about 800 units ) recently was found to be so bed bug infected and do devoid of maintenance the city condemned all but 2 of the buildings and bulldozed them they 2 they did not , one was just investigated because of a dead body , the other was just closed because it was a meth lab ( that's an awfully extreme way to keep the bugs away ) any way I read your post and it reminded me of my late Mom's teachings ( she grew up in europe until the war , her family moved here when she was a kid) you are the only two people I have heard with this simple wisdom .

inpampers said:
tldr: most hotels put pads on beds to protect the mattress

I'm in hotels several months out of the year (for the past few years, I've managed a few weeks at home, a few months at work owned accommodations, and almost half the year in hotels.

One of my concerns is bedbugs, given how many places I've stayed. I've also come across fleas, scabies mites, and other vectors. Not pleasant; but, this brings me to ...

When I first walk into my room, from a five-star hotel in the Middle East or Europe, to the scraggly hole in the wall in Africa, or the lowest price one-star in the US, I typically either leave my bags in the hallway for a moment (if it is safe) or place them in the bathtub (if it is dry). Then, I grab my flashlight and begin an inspection.

In almost all of the European countries I've been to, most of the Middle East (UAE, Qatar, and Oman; but not so much in Jordan or Iraq), and in almost every hotel in the US, there are pads on the bed to begin with. Mattresses are expensive; spills, bedwetting, bugs, etc. will all lead to a mattress that, in many locations, must be replaced. At the least, that room would be unusable until the mattress dried. So a pad is a cheap insurance policy.

Not all of these pads are the 'best quality', so I've found plenty of mattresses with questionable stains beneath any pad; and I've also found pads that were little more than a cotton or polyester top but offered no real liquid barrier. I could not understand this; but I would be curious if the pad shown above was actually waterproof.

Most of the better hotels will put a higher-end pad with PUL or similar; others will just put a vinyl mattress cover on and then put a cheap cotton pad over.

Given my bedwetting habit, if I do go to a hotel and find there is no pad, or there is no water proof pad, I will either ask for one, or use disposable pads (like Pampers Bedmats or Huggies Goodnights pads (I carry a few with my diapers, just in case).

I did not pour water on the pad in the photo to test it. But it seemed to have a vinyl center core or at least a stiffness to it that Leeds me to believe it is indeed water proof if not resistant. I wish I would of checked it for a label or brand name in order to research it a bit more.

I've stayed at a hotel but I get the handicapped room and they always have had a waterproof cover over the bed

I travel up to 150 days a year for work and never had that happen and always leave my diaper in the trash can in the bathroom. I do always email motels I stay at to say I have an incontinence problem and sometimes when I arrive there has been protection already added to my room as I checkin online. Be careful though if you leak on the sheets some motels have a cleaning fee they will charge.

sloth said:
I travel up to 150 days a year for work and never had that happen and always leave my diaper in the trash can in the bathroom. I do always email motels I stay at to say I have an incontinence problem and sometimes when I arrive there has been protection already added to my room as I checkin online. Be careful though if you leak on the sheets some motels have a cleaning fee they will charge.
There you go proof they only wash the sheets if you complain , or they have no choice.LOL

I have never had that happened to me, that's very curious. Then again, I've also never really looked to find out. I'll have to be on the lookout next time I have a multi-night stay somewhere.

When we travel we always request a bed protector, Disney had it inplace before we arrived a few hotels we stayed in last year said they do not offer bed protectors (not aure why its in thier best intrest)

we bring our on bed pads for me to use but still like to have the extra layer of protection on the mattress just in case

The last time I travelled for work and stayed in a hotel, I called ahead and asked if they provided mattress protection. They kindly apologized and said no. Judging from the picture, I'm guessing I was using the wrong hotel chain!

Tetra said:
There you go proof they only wash the sheets if you complain , or they have no choice.LOL

My mom worked for Holliday Inn for a long while. She had to change the sheets after EVERY guest left. They only make up the bed when you're staying multiple nights.

You wouldn't believe how many times I heard about it too. (Usually when I hadn't made my bed or needed to do the laundry chores)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back