Dealing with it long term

Status
Not open for further replies.
miapeters said:
I started seeing one recently, the time before that was the beginning of this year...... I'm sure it's helped but I can't express to you how much I'm fed up of this routine of cleaning up and changing. I don't even know how therapy would help but anyway.....I don't know how I feel about taking the pills but I take them. To be honest though I used to be genuinely happy couple of months ago... Least some moments. Now it's like I'm either neutral or just feeling like shit......

If you don't mind me asking, why do your cleanups take 30 minutes? I don't recall you saying you have mobility problems, do you?

I know for me, when I have a bowell mess to clean up I'm usually done in about 3 minutes. I will open my diaper up and lay it on the floor (mess and all). Next I start wet wiping until I'm clean, and throw each wipe on top of my open diaper. This part usually doesn't take more than a couple of minutes, even for the sticky spread out stuff.

Since my hands are a but dirty by then, I just take one last wipe and clean my hands some. Lather on some ointment, then fully wash my hands (or wipes again if I can't). After that I just roll up my diaper and toss it out then slap on a new diaper (which for just pee only changes often takes like 30 seconds).

No offense, I'm not trying to make it sound easy, or put you off in any way. I'm just honestly not sure why it takes that long. Even 10 minutes seems kind of long to me. Is there some big extra step I'm missing?

Whatever it is, I can definitely see why a 30 minute cleanup would be a big downer, especially having to do it all right after having just done it all. Maybe figuring out how to cut your time down will help.

Yeah man, you really have no choice, just say - - - - it.

If you have friends, they won't care, if they do care, apologize for the inconvenience, if that doesn't resolve their issues, then they are not your friend.

I am not you, nor do I have incontience, but what i do have is friends, and a kink.

My family found out and pretty much outcasted me for it. I felt like shit, I wanted to get rid of my fillings towards diapers.

and like you, I coudln't, i had high hopes that one day they would go away, but they don't.

You can act all high and mighty about how it is forced on you and I am just a freak, but the honest truth is that no one wants to fill obliged to wear diapers.

Be it by desire, or by protection, it is not something that leaves a nice taste in any one's mouth.

What I found out at a young age, is people who care, don't care. Those who don't care, do care.

What i mean is, my best friends, my gf, even old class mates, they completely over looked it, sometimes even asking me questions about it (if i ever had the gutts to tell them) my best friend, got married and still asked me to be his best man, he doesn't talk about it, he doesnt pretend to understand it, and neither do i, and I don't try to flash everyone with it.

To me it is a mystery, and to you it is as well.

Stop worrying about what people think, and start worrying about yourself, do what you need to do to fill confident, if that is wear diapers, then by all means do it.

Onlookers don't always understand, and sometimes stare out of mystery and from your perspective it may seem like they are gawking.

Some people gawk, and some people are rude, but they don't understand and secondly they don't care to understand,

I have never been to a phychiatrist, that told me that my psuedo-fetish was an issue, it may cause other issues, but it in it self is not, and treating it like it is causes unnessary stress on both my loved ones and myself.

You incontinence, is not an issue, but how you handle it is.

It does not define you, but how you feel about it does.

Don't be defined by things out of your control.

You don't have to tell everyone, or anyone, but when you do, explain it as it is.

No one wants cancer, and sometimes people with cancer don't tell people because they don't want the pitty.

But sometimes it is easier to tell someone then to beat around the bush and constantly avoid certain topics, it causes unnecessary easy for both you and your friends.

You don't have to say "Hi I am Bob, and I wear diapers"

But you don't have to be aqward about hanging out long periods of time, and you don't have to explain anything when not asked.

If you shower reggulary and wear colone, then they only times that people won't want to be arround you, is when you don't even want to be around you.

If for what ever reason you don't care to change because of the hassle or you dont really fill anny need to (until a certain point) spite the smell, then that is a sign of depression, and you need mental help, because depression is very contagious, and no one wants to hang around depressed people.

TLDR

Do all you can do for your hygene

Do all you can do to make sure there is no additional stress

Be prepared to answer , how, when, why , where, what , etc about your needs

and if somsone judges you for that, you can attempt to help them understand the world and not be so close minded, or if you don't really know them, remember that ignorance is bliss, and it is not your fault nor their own they think the way they do about you because of it.

You are greater then your incontinence, and people rise above their own ignorance, you just have to give yourself and them a chance to do so.

Slomo said:
If you don't mind me asking, why do your cleanups take 30 minutes? I don't recall you saying you have mobility problems, do you?

I know for me, when I have a bowell mess to clean up I'm usually done in about 3 minutes. I will open my diaper up and lay it on the floor (mess and all). Next I start wet wiping until I'm clean, and throw each wipe on top of my open diaper. This part usually doesn't take more than a couple of minutes, even for the sticky spread out stuff.

Since my hands are a but dirty by then, I just take one last wipe and clean my hands some. Lather on some ointment, then fully wash my hands (or wipes again if I can't). After that I just roll up my diaper and toss it out then slap on a new diaper (which for just pee only changes often takes like 30 seconds).

No offense, I'm not trying to make it sound easy, or put you off in any way. I'm just honestly not sure why it takes that long. Even 10 minutes seems kind of long to me. Is there some big extra step I'm missing?

Whatever it is, I can definitely see why a 30 minute cleanup would be a big downer, especially having to do it all right after having just done it all. Maybe figuring out how to cut your time down will help.
Sorry I haven't specifically mentioned this but in some of my older posts I have. I do have some mobility issues..... It's a bit of a long story but really I know how long that 30 minutes is for me. It's just torture, at home the cleaning up and changing doesn't take too long though. Added to the fact that I do maybe what some people see as an ocd amount of cleaning, but with bowel incontinence that amount of cleaning I feel is needed.

Jonathan thanks..... Honestly I'm just trying to get done perspective these few days but my mind isn't exactly in the right place.
I'm usually very hygenic and clean most of the time but there are instances where I can't change asap so I do have precautions for stuff like the smell, like plastic pants and taking Nullo. Either way you're right.....I know what people think of me doesn't matter and for the most part it hasn't bothered me at least in this stage of my life. To be honest I myself don't talk about it much with anyone else except people close to me, even then it's not a common conversation. I'm just going to spend the next few weeks taking it easy....... I'm going to go to uni next fall, I need to be okay, I need to be able to handle myself......I never thought I'd be gone this far down......
Thank you for listening, your don't know how much just sitting here has helped just get things off my chest.......

This problem challenges us all to be able to let go of at least a small part of the judgmental crap that most of society has without even knowing it, and to find the true being of brilliant light, a light that nothing external can diminish in any way, that each of us truly is. How can some infants smile so sweetly, that when you look in their eyes, you know they are truly quite at peace? It's because they still remember who they are. They still remember that they are truly creatures of light.

I believe that our problem is really our inner challenge. Will we still be able to remember that despite anyone else's judgment of us, and despite whatever even we ourselves may sometimes think about ourselves regarding this, our deepest truest inner selves remains as bright as ever. Of that one fact I am sure (most of the time).

I try not to let anyone else's misunderstanding, or even my own which I may have learned from others along the way, be my reality, because it is unreal. Each of us has a core beauty that is beyond all of this, will always be real, and always remains. I try to remember this whenever I may have allowed myself to forget.

Last edited:
I caught your other post, and can certainly understand your needing every bit of that time now. I am saddened to hear all you went through, and still do, but it does sound like you have a handle on it. I guess all I can say is just try to not let it get you down so much.

It sounds like you're taking a semester off. Good idea in light of your exhaustion ( and depression ). I was never big on anti-depressives though I do understand that they are a huge help for the clinically depressed. I went through a stage where I became very depressed after my brother died. He was my business partner for over 20 years and was only 18 months older than me. We were very close and his loss (heart attack at the age of 46 ) hit me hard. I ended up selling the business and property which I had invested so much of my life in. When my doctor put me on Celexa, it just took the wind out of my sails. No lows but no highs either. I was like a zombie. I ended up going to Florida and living on my dad's boat for a year. ( 48' Sea Ray aft-cabin. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms with a washer/drier ) It gave me time to get my head together and spend time with my parents. It was exactly what I needed. It was hard enough dealing with my severe bowel urgency and IC. The loss of my brother was devastating. But I slowly came around. I know most people can't stop the world and get off to recover from a bad experience or an on-going problem like IC. But if you can, it really helps you put things in perspective. You are in just such a position. Stay with your parents and put school on hold for a semester. Maybe hit the local junior collage and survey ( attend a class at no cost and no grade or credit ) a class related to your intended major. If you haven't chosen a major, it's a good way to explore your interests and which way you want to go when you return to uni. The most important thing is to regain mental stability and a more positive outlook. See your doctor and discuss your sleep issues. Without proper sleep you will grow more irritable and exhausted. I had the same problems with sleep and my doctor put me on Ambian. That proved way to strong as I seemed to wake up "hung-over" and found it difficult to get going in the morning. I, like you, would get up early for my clean-up/change routine ( I would get up at 4:30 even though I didn't go to the office until 7 ) and when on the Ambian I was in a fog for the first 2 hours after getting up. I complained to my doctor and he switched me to 30 mg of Temazepam. It's nowhere near as harsh as Ambian but still helped me to fall asleep easy and get needed sleep. I also take 2 mg of Lorazepam ( Valium ) at night to ease any anxiety that might have built up during the day and help me slow down from what is usually a busy, hectic ( at least while I was still activly working ) day. The combination of the 2 helps me avoid restless nights. I also make sure the tv and computer are off 2 hours before bedtime. This is my reading and decompression time. I wake up like I did in my pre-IC days. Since retiring early I've been known to sleep in 'till 7 or 8. I might still wake up around 6ish when the bowel urge hits me but have not had a problem rolling over and getting another hour or 2 of sleep. Well rested I'm much better equiped to tackle a clean-up, shower and change. Seriously, see your doctor about the sleep issue. Trying to accomplish a (ocd type ) change when you're exhausted is a recipe for depression. There is no shame in getting the meds you need to help you function better. You know you wouldn't attempt to go a day without your diapers for protection. What makes you think you can get through a day without deep, rem cycle sleep? Just as important and yes, neccessary. So take your semester off. Relax. Get whatever's needed from your doctor for restfull sleep. Survey a class or 2 so your still intellectualy active ( but without any pressure ). Hit the library and pick out a few books for your designated reading time ( if you don't know what you want to read or don't have a few favorite authors, take a look at the New York Times best seller list. You can even google the list and look at past lists going back years ). I am always at my library ( in walking distance) and constantly reading the NY times book reviews (you can get those online too ). Now that you have the time, take advantage and recharge the batteries. And look up that therapist again. Once or twice a month with him or her will help keep your head in the game. Good luck, get some rest and quit stressing. You'll be back stronger than ever. I would be interested in knowing what your major is and what career path you are considering. You go girl.

Yeah, I did take the semester off, will be going back though and I'm really nervous. I'm handing to a uni so new place new people, it's not exactly my strong suit.

I'm getting a little more sleep now but mornings have been increasingly frustrating even though it is in reality normal morning for me. I want to deal with the clean ups alone but after i spend so much time on it by the time I go for breakfast some days my bladder lets go uncontrollably, other days it's letting go without me even noticing. I'm reluctant to go for cathing because of the pain and complications "down there". I've had one before and it didn't really work out with me. It's so annoying sometimes because when I'm just lying down or sitting I can sometimes feel my bladder leaking very slowly.

It feels like the stress of the heavy incontinence I had as a child has caught upto me. Wearing has become more embarrassing for me....i know I should accept it by now but it's not that easy..... When I go for swimming I use the wheelchair most of the time and if I have a bowel accident in the pool which totally sucks by the way because I have to get into the chair and sit in it >.< And that's not even a rare occurrence for me which just makes it worse.....

Anyway overall I'm not as worried all the time as I was the last week or so. I'm getting back to the me who can deal with the emotional stuff, it's just sometimes I have to let since steam off.

Is peeing constantly a sign of urinary incontinence and how can i induce it

StarWars7 said:
I don't know, but if you can't control it and you end up losing control without being able to make it to a toilet or barely make it then you might have a problem there.

I'm assuming you mean how you reduce it, and for that you'd have to see a doctor and see if there's anything wrong first.

StarWars7 said:

Asking to induce IC is not acceptable on adisc.

MommyandMattling said:
Asking to induce IC is not acceptable on adisc.
Did he mean reduce or induce, now that I think of it, unlikely typo

It sounded like he's wanting to induce incontinence via some easy shortcut.

It would be one thing to naturally achieve incontinence, the slow way, by reverse potty training. But actually inducing it via an external means, or quick way that could potentially be irreversable.... That's a big no no, and even has the potential to be life threatening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back