Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetshisbed

Incontinent and Enuretic
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
My diabetes has resulted in me being incontinent and enuretic. In other words I wet day and night without control. Has anyone else found themselves incontinent due to being diabetic.

My son is in the same boat.

My wife is diabetic, but still has full control. She knows it's just a matter of time though.

Out of curiosity - is the IC caused by the drugs you need to take to manage your diabetes or is it caused by the disease itself?

Mainly due to diabetic related neuropathy but one of the pills I take don't help. I was warned that but as they keep my sugar levels down and help with weight loss as I am already incontinent it isn't really a problem. They gave me pills to combat my incontinence but I can't cope with the side effects so rely on nappies or pads as the continence service insist on calling them.

ST50 has nailed it. My son however went way out of control while he was in college (away from home) and messed up a lot of things: continence, vision, kidneys, etc...

I have diabetes plus small fiber neuropathy from a rare autoimmune disorder. and sleep apnea and all them can cause incontinence.
So far i only have urinary urgency.

But don't tell my VA doctors because they think i am IC from the neuropathy

I am urge incontinent from Diabetes.
I have daytime incontinence that manifests as sudden urges with no time to control leaking and sometimes I just realize that my diaper is wet;
I also have regular night time incontinence...basically I wake up with a wet diaper every morning. If I don't wear a diaper I wake up in a wet bed.

Slomo said:
My wife is diabetic, but still has full control. She knows it's just a matter of time though.

That's not really accurate. Diabetes certainly does not always result in incontinence. Most diabetics do not become incontinent, but some do. It's one of many possible complications of poorly managed blood sugar. I'm also diabetic but my incon is not related to diabetes. I manage my diabetes with diet and exercise and keep my blood sugar in a very good range. No where near a majority of diabetics lose bladder control. Well managed diabetes should not lead to many serious complications. Unchecked diabetes certainly will lead to a whole slew of awful problems.

- - - Updated - - -

BabyDenise said:
Out of curiosity - is the IC caused by the drugs you need to take to manage your diabetes or is it caused by the disease itself?

usually the disease itself. uncontrolled blood sugar over the long term can cause nerve damage leading to neurogenic bladder. It's not entirely uncommon for diabetics to have bladder and even bowel problems but it's not a given.

Sadly the nest stage is having end stage renal failure which is where my wife has been for the last ten years. She's on her dialysis machine as I type this. We do home dialysis which is much better than going into the center to dialyze.

My son was a diabetic from the time he was three months. A bit over a year ago he finally got a kidney/pancreas transplant. It's amazing how well he's doing. For the first time in his life he's NOT diabetic. While there's still lingering injury from being out of control (lost his right foot), the change is dramatic. The real problem is keeping him on disability so medicaid will pay for his anti-rejection meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back