According to a recent study, majority of incontinence treatments deliver poor results

Status
Not open for further replies.

INTrePid

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Not entirely surprising, but I thought I'd post the article here.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/04/170404124636.htm

“Unfortunately we are not actually curing the condition in that many cases. Surgery aside, the results delivered are poor. And the problems are only going to get worse in the future because the population, as we know, is aging,” says Ian Milsom, Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics at the Sahlgrenska Academy and Head of the Gothenburg Continence Research Center (GCRC).

He and a group of researcher colleagues have together studied thousands of research articles and other scientific documentation written about different treatments of urinary and fecal incontinence in adults around the world, published between 2005 and 2015.

The sheer scope of the research makes this work unique. The researchers sifted through the mass of material using harmonized criteria and ultimately came up with percentages indicating how well or poorly different methods had worked. For the results to be considered successful, the individual must have been cured of incontinence three months after the treatment.

Yeah this is kind of like a well duh research study. Actually I'm kind of surprised thay say meds work 49 percent of the time. I thought it would be more like half of even that.

Yeah, this really isn't surprising to anyone I think. Unfortunately there's such a huge social stigma around the best methods of management.

a 49% success rate is still a major fail, the only ones benefiting from the meds are the drug companies and the doctors who get referral payments every time you try a new drug when the last one failed.

Diapers are an issue for some people who do not have to deal with incontinence issues but if they started to have to deal with what we do on a daily basis most would agree diapers are the best way to manage incontinence issues.

The medication they gave me never did any good and just had horrible side effects. I just rely on nappies snow.

Yeah and that's the one treatment option the article doesn't even mention. Diapers, which are probably about 99% effective.

This is pretty obvious to all of us who have already walked down that road, but I think the largest majority of the populace (and a few doctors too, I'm sure) still think of it as "there's treatments for that", without knowledge of how well it works. That said, I'm saving this article for anyone who says to me, "but aren't there pills for that?".

PlotTwist said:
This is pretty obvious to all of us who have already walked down that road, but I think the largest majority of the populace (and a few doctors too, I'm sure) still think of it as "there's treatments for that", without knowledge of how well it works. That said, I'm saving this article for anyone who says to me, "but aren't there pills for that?".

Yeah, gotta love the doctors who think, "Oh, we got you from constant trouble to where you only have accidents a few times a day." Yeah, the accidents may be fewer, but the side effects suck, and I still can't go without a diaper because the accidents still happen. I can spend less money on meds, still pay what I pay for diapers, and feel better overall if I go off the meds. Of course, they never see that as a viable option.

Here here to all comments

I have tried all the meds they can throw at me - none have worked / but my GP still
Insists he won't find diapers for me - just " try another month of pills" urghhh

SiriusPup said:
Here here to all comments

I have tried all the meds they can throw at me - none have worked / but my GP still
Insists he won't find diapers for me - just " try another month of pills" urghhh

Been there, done that. It sucks, but it's faster and easier to just take the pills. If instead you try and fight your doc on it, they just can't seem to move past it and will always want you to take more pills. Just rule them out as soon as you can so you can move on

AnalogRTO said:
Yeah, gotta love the doctors who think, "Oh, we got you from constant trouble to where you only have accidents a few times a day." Yeah, the accidents may be fewer, but the side effects suck, and I still can't go without a diaper because the accidents still happen. I can spend less money on meds, still pay what I pay for diapers, and feel better overall if I go off the meds. Of course, they never see that as a viable option.

This is so true. Like many others, I have tried the meds, still leaked, had the higher drug cost and had horrible side effects (I couldn't even sleep). The article shouldn't surprise anyone who is incontinent or knows someone who is.

Yep, I took all their damn pills, but only tried the first one. When I learned that anticholinergics harm your brain, I only pretended to take them. Looked up the most common side effects, and claimed that. They eventually ran out of drugs, and I am prescribed diapers. Of course also having 8 operations, culminating in cutting my sphincter kind of made the drugs a moot point. The only last option they try to throw at me now is to vet a belly bag with a nasty tube going in to my belly button. Hell no, I have severe omphaliphobia. No way no how! Diapers for life is fine by me, and hopefully no more surgeries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back