Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flow Control?

I don't drip constantly (yet) but I leak urine almost anytime I move, and if I'm sitting longer than five minutes I will usually begin to drip. Most of the time I feel a stream when I first stand up. The most I can “feel” myself urinating is when I climb stairs, each step is a little spurt. At night I tend to have slightly more control when laying still, but since I started wearing diapers during the day six months ago I don't exercise it much. I also have minor issues with IBS... if I don't use the toilet before bed I risk messing myself almost automatically the moment I wake up. There are also days where I'll change a wet diaper and notice I need a wipe or two, or even that I've messed a little bit (usually if this happens I feel it fairly quick and change immediately) but thankfully no issues with messing in my sleep. Hopefully it stays that way.

I have no control over my urine flow anymore, it's a constant drip. I can feel it spurts more during exercise and if I go from sitting or lying to standing I get the sudden flood sensation. As for bowel I'm starting to think I should move to a management programme as I can have an involuntary one when I wake up and exercise can push a bit out too.

I have urge incontinence. When an "urge" happens, I cannot control the fact that I will begin leaking urine unless I can make it to a toilet in a very short time. And once it starts, I will generally continue leaking until my bladder is more or less empty. However, I sometimes have some ability to slow down the rate of flow during the process of wetting. Slowing things down helps to prevent diaper leaks by not exceeding the rate at which my diaper can absorb liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanOtter View Post
    As for bowel I'm starting to think I should move to a management programme as I can have an involuntary one when I wake up and exercise can push a bit out too.
    I think I may soon be in the same boat. I only wear protection for urine incontinence, but I've had issues with IBS more frequently since I started wearing diapers during the day and giving up bladder control, specifically involuntary messing when I first wake up if I don't stick to a schedule in between evening and night changes. I lose urine when walking up or down stairs, and I've recently noticed small messes (which I'm usually able to clean up with one or two wipes) when I change after exercise, especially when I do crunches or sit-ups. At first I started exercising less because of it, but now I've gotten into the habit of exercising immediately after sitting on the toilet.... since my workout only takes fifteen minutes, it's one of the only times I'm able to get away with just wearing a pull-up. Did your involuntary bowel issues in the morning begin before or after you noticed yourself messing during exercise? Wondering if I should be worried about my IBS continuing to worsen along the same lines

Quote Originally Posted by inconsurferdude View Post
    I think I may soon be in the same boat. I only wear protection for urine incontinence, but I've had issues with IBS more frequently since I started wearing diapers during the day and giving up bladder control,

I have suffered from IBS in the past but my incontinence is linked to my ADHD, IBS just makes it worse but after the last flare up I had I looked at my diet and made a few changes. Thankfully it seems to have worked and I've not had anything like IBS since.
    It's interesting that you say 'giving up control' when you started wearing full time. I felt pretty similar. The decision to wear 24/7 was to help me deal with an increasing number of leaks and accidents but in doing it I almost immediately stopped trying to control my urine. It was almost as if the security of being in a diaper made me mentally give up and within a couple of months I was wetting whenever I felt the urge. A couple of years down the line and I've got no control.

Did your involuntary bowel issues in the morning begin before or after you noticed yourself messing during exercise? Wondering if I should be worried about my IBS continuing to worsen along the same lines
    I've been messing during exercise for over a year now, it's never a lot but it's enough to make me take precautions. In the gym I wear a full diaper and keep my workouts to under an hour which seems to work well as a management solution. My main concern has been playing rugby when I only wear a pull up to keep the bulk down. This last season I've used peristeen plugs when I've played and they've been good, so I'll probably stick with them. I want to start running properly again but I'm not sure what's going to be the best solution for that one.

Involuntary morning accidents are a more recent occurrence, last four or so months. I've also noticed that stairs can make me leak too.

for me it depdens on how my back feels... some days none at all other days I could probably go with panties... but if I start leaking is pretty much a done deal with very minimal ability to stop or throttle any sort of controll as I lose mobility the ic is going to get worse I can pretty much be ok in pullups but even they are not enough at times

I can slow down my flow but not stop it. And maybe slow it down by like 30% at best. My urge incon is pretty severs so when my bladder starts contracting it gushes really hard. Within a few seconds I can bear down and try to sqeeze it off, and that's when I can get my 20-30% flow rate reduction. Often I don't really bother trying, unless i'm like standing in a room giving a presentation at work or something. Even though I trust my diapers and haven't had any bad leaks since wearing them, I'm still always a bit scared of a flood resulting in a leak.