Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canada LegalizesMarijuana

Default Canada LegalizesMarijuana

Today our Canadian government has introduced legislation to legalize marijuana. It will set federal laws around the production, sale, distribution and possession of the drug.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mari...bill-1.4069178

For myself, as a health conscious, long distance runner, I am completely supportive of the move to legalize weed. Police forces spend between 2 to 3 billion annually around enforcement over, what most people would agree, is a recreational drug. It can leave people with a criminal record for a misdemeanour that prevents them from getting employment or housing. I believe there will come a time when we see treating possession of marijuana as a crime in the same way we look back at the prohibition of alcohol.

Under the proposed legislation, the federal government establishes the framework of legalization, but the provinces have the responsibility to enforce it. The Criminal Code will be amended to allow police to administer a saliva test for impaired driving the same way they can ask the driver to take a breathalyzer test. There are also limits of how much of the drug an individual can legally possess.

* A person must be 18 years of age to possess it. The individual provinces have the option to raise the age limit above eighteen.

* It is illegal to sell to minors. A conviction could result in a 14 year prison sentence.

*. An individual person can possess no more than 30 grams of the substance

*. Adults can possess no more than 4 plants per household.

* Distribution and methods of sale will be determined by each province, such as pot stores, pharmacies, or government outlets.

I do have reservations over some of the specifics of this bill, however, I think legalization is long overdue. The black market has preyed on addicting youth and making a profit off them, and this should help reduce that. It is the intent of the government to regulate the substance and create a tax revenue which would be used to create new treatment programs for addictions to hard drugs.

Thoughts?

They should stepup and legalize all drugs in some way, once you legalize the drug so it's pure, it's a lot safer in the long run, plus if you legalize it you can tax it and make profit off it.

Obviously things like methamphetamine would require something like a "safe jab" zone but in the long run, purer drugs are safer as there not cut with crazy stuff, if the drug is pure, it's safer in the long run, plus crime will go down.

It's about time people legalize marijuana surprisingly Australia is going to eventually step in that direction, but we still don't have same sex marriage, so...

I wish the U. S. would do the same thing. There are a number of medicines derived from cannabis that would improve both the health and the quality of life for many people. One such drug treats children with Epilepsy. Another drug is effective in treating chronic pain. It has no hallucinatory properties, is not habit forming and you can't overdose on it.

Trumps new drug lord wants to increase arrests for those possessing marijuana, and for those who aren't dealers, he wants to put them into mental institution/prisons, as was stated today by the Washington Post so that they can be "cured". Sound familiar? What amazes me is that Americans vote and elect these old, ancient white men to The House and the Senate, just so they can make everyone miserable.

I don't think making it ok for everyone to use is a good idea. I will agree that there are all the benefits that you stated however, I think that this will lead to more drug activity than there already is. It may not harm and cause addiction to the degree of say heroin but it still causes harm nonetheless. In my opinion drug dealers should be jailed because they are directly enabling addictions. However, I do not think that people who have done the drug should be sent to jail. I think we need a humane approach to this and it should never go on a criminal record unless you do something like say killing someone while driving. If they are caught with possession I think it would be better for them to go through therapy and treatment for addiction. Sometimes, though not all the time, people take drugs because it is a coping mechanism so I can understand why. So perhaps instead we should legalize it for medical facilities that treat addiction so that people who start on the path can have a safe place to do it while they get treated.

Edit: I forgot that it may have some medical benefits. Medical marijuana should also be used at the discretion of the doctor/pharmacist. I would have read up on how much credibility these treatments from weed actually have. I know there is anecdotal evidence, but is it scientifically accurate and safe? Could we take the chemical that is helping the patient and use that instead to try and avoid addiction.
    Last edited by InstalockingHanso; 14-Apr-2017 at 03:33. Reason: Forgot some things

Awesome! It's about time it was legalized. I'm sick of this stupid War on Drugs and locking people up for non-violent drug offenses, especially when that drug is less harmful than both alcohol and tobacco. Go Canada!

Quote Originally Posted by InstalockingHanso View Post
    I don't think making it ok for everyone to use is a good idea.
    Says the guy with a fat spliff in his avatar!

But legalising something doesn't mean that it's "ok" for anyone to use. It just means that there are no criminal sanctions for doing so.

I think that this will lead to more drug activity than there already is.
    With the right policies, this needn't be the case. Portugal legalised drugs over 15 years ago, and this was a great success. They now have one of the lowest drug-related death rates, and the lowest consumption of NPS (new psychoactive substances) of any country for which records exist.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10301780.html

Synthetic cannabis has become quite popular amongst certain groups in the UK, and has caused a number of deaths, and left others with brain damage. With chemists in China and India churning out a never-ending supply of untested psychoactive powders, the genie is out of the bottle. It's far better that people use cannabis, over some untested (and unknown) potentially-lethal chemical.

Edit: I forgot that it may have some medical benefits. Medical marijuana should also be used at the discretion of the doctor/pharmacist. I would have read up on how much credibility these treatments from weed actually have. I know there is anecdotal evidence, but is it scientifically accurate and safe? Could we take the chemical that is helping the patient and use that instead to try and avoid addiction.
    There is very little evidence that cannabis is useful medically, except in a small handful of cases. The "medical argument" is really just a decoy promoted by people who want to smoke weed recreationally. And the people who prescribe cannabis aren't typically genuine doctors. Much like in the days of prohibition, if you wanted some booze, you could pay a dodgy doctor to give you a prescription for medical brandy or whisky.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Thoughts?
    Sounds pretty good to me.

Although I think 4 plants per household is a bit low. Four full-sized plants should be enough for any household! But if you're crap at looking after plants, I can imagine you'd want to sprout a few seedlings to see which ones grow best, and if you're living in a house with six other growers... well... the "4 plant limit" doesn't give much room for manoeuvrer.

I do have reservations over some of the specifics of this bill, however, I think legalization is long overdue. The black market has preyed on addicting youth and making a profit off them, and this should help reduce that.
    I agree. Hopefully the law will also ensure that commercial weed is grown to quality standards, where harmful fertilisers and chemicals are prohibited, and THC/CBD levels are accurately measured to inform the user.

It is the intent of the government to regulate the substance and create a tax revenue which would be used to create new treatment programs for addictions to hard drugs.
    Why only hard drugs? Soft drug addictions cause people huge problems. So often the problem isn't taken seriously. Why should a drugs counsellor care about someone who drinks two bottles of vodka and smokes 20g of weed every day, when there's a heroin addict who could overdose any minute?

It's great that the tax raised will help fight addiction, but... why only if the addiction is to a different substance than is being taxed? It seems a bit unfair.

Overall, though, that's pretty awesome. The police should have more time to investigate real crimes now.

Today our Canadian government has introduced legislation to legalize marijuana. It will set federal laws around the production, sale, distribution and possession of the drug.
    Good! We'll build a bridge (or a really long tunnel, being sure to pass through the Dakotas, just to piss off liberals and Indian wannabes...) instead of a wall and let you and the Mexicans work it out together.

For myself, as a health conscious, long distance runner, I am completely supportive of the move to legalize weed.
    Really? Seriously? Do you never run outside, where Mr. Toad is careening around with a splif in one hand, a cell phone in the other, pumping Toots
    out the open window along with clouds of purple smoke? The roads are dangerous enough without adding a population with reaction times measured by sundial.

I suppose its the free range magic smoke as opposed to the evil, greedy, corporate smoke in people's lungs that makes the whole thing palatable to liberals.

Police forces spend between 2 to 3 billion annually around enforcement over, what most people would agree, is a recreational drug. It can leave people with a criminal record for a misdemeanour that prevents them from getting employment or housing. I believe there will come a time when we see treating possession of marijuana as a crime in the same way we look back at the prohibition of alcohol.
    Far better that people can legally, chemically remove what remains of their ambition and motivation, leaving them free lay about all day and fall asleep with the stove on, burning down the public housing they live in. Survivors of the fire will be homeless, providing employment security for Starrunner.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I wish the U. S. would do the same thing. There are a number of medicines derived from cannabis that would improve both the health and the quality of life for many people. One such drug treats children with Epilepsy. Another drug is effective in treating chronic pain. It has no hallucinatory properties, is not habit forming and you can't overdose on it.
    1. According to NORML (the organisation for stoners, if you can call a group based on pot 'organized'). A classic illustration of the old saw "When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

2. Self-medication is always a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    1. According to NORML (the organisation for stoners, if you can call a group based on pot 'organized'). A classic illustration of the old saw "When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

2. Self-medication is always a great idea.
    These are all drugs developed by pharmaceutical companies. Like all medications, patients would get prescriptions through their doctors. This isn't new news. This information has been around for a long time. As for hammer and nail, I don't get it, nor the rest of your comments, which don't seem to be on subject at all.

I think the restrictions are a touch tight, but it's certainly significant progress. I'd like to see them revisit the up to 14 years in prison thing. That seems a bit excessive. 18 isn't bad for age, 21 seems to be the popular number here in the states. Not a fan of possession limits, but it's better than the current structure. 4 plants seems a bit light, but again, better than current. Asked to support it right now, I'd likely say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    These are all drugs developed by pharmaceutical companies. Like all medications, patients would get prescriptions through their doctors. This isn't new news. This information has been around for a long time. As for hammer and nail, I don't get it, nor the rest of your comments, which don't seem to be on subject at all.
    In the DPRI we have 'medical marijuana'. Like a lot of drugs, you have to get a 'doctor's prescription', and like these other drugs, there's plenty of doctor shopping and other shenanigans.

To explain the hammer in search of a nail: You have something, or there is something you want to have, or want to be legal, and you search for excuses that make it sound like a really good idea. Often belief is stretched to the breaking point by the person or persons trying to rationalise their position. Think back to all the reasons your teenage children gave you for having their own cars. Medical marijuana is like that. The real objective behind these excuses is legal marijuana.