Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxious

Default Anxious

I hate this feeling. My senses are going wild trying to location the reason. Everything seems fine, but why do I feel like I'm going to be attacked. I need to calm down. I need to control this problem. This and my constant depression need to F'ing stop. They only end up fueling my anger. Just for my info how much is the average for the standard therapist visit. My mom is now suggestion the same.

My therapist charges $100 per session without insurance, although as she practices privately she is also somewhat open to negotiation if finances are a problem. I'm not really sure what the average or typical rate would be, but I thought I'd contribute my lone data point.

I suffer severe anxiety and depression myself. Re anxiety, I can get so worked up that I'm literally shaking so badly I can't even type. Usually I know the reason(s), though, I just tend to over-react and worry too much. With respect to my recent threads, I certainly feel as if I'm about to be attacked if I find myself in a hospital setting -- which makes sense because it's happened. Has something analogous happened to you before? What sort of attack do you feel is forthcoming -- physical, verbal, financial, slander of your character...?

If it's this debilitating for you, a single session with a therapist may be enough to at least get you a prescription to moderate the symptoms, though of course the root cause of the problem is what really needs to be addressed sooner or later.

Hang in there. *hugs*

Hey, KryanAshford,
    I know you've been in a pretty dark place lately, and I'm really glad you're taking some steps towards counselling. When everything else has failed, and you're in a never-ending cycle of anxiety, depression, and anger, it's time to consider getting professional help.

My suggestion would be to contact your doctor for a referral and to discuss all your symptoms, both the physical and mental health challenges. In addition to a referral, the doctor may be able to prescribe some medication in the interim to help you deal with your current symptoms until you're able to see a therapist.

Hugs, friend. I hope you'll follow through on this. You need some relief.

Just going to add here, do you have health insurance or Medicaid? Either should lessen the expense.

The clinic where I see my therapist is a ''Federally Qualified Health Center'' which offers a sliding-fee scale that discounts the cost for lower-income people without insurance. Provided you're in the US, you might want to investigate to see if there's a similar clinic that offers mental-health services near you.

My job gives me insurance, but it's useless. It doesn't really cover anything. It's there to just say I have insurance.

On a new note does anyone know how to control a feeling for adventure? I get this almost every week. I have this feeling like I'm meant to be doing something exciting or notable. I ask other people what's their greatest achievement is. Most say being a parent, but I don't see the importance of it. Most people can be parents, so why do people is that as such a great thing. I'm an uncle and I honestly don't get much out of it. I love my nephews and nieces, but I see them mostly as a drain. (Energy wise and income wise.) Personally if I want kids. I wouldn't want them till I feel stable mentally, and financially before I allow it to happen. Plus I need someone I truly adore before I would be willing to reproduce. I have friends who had kids while they were still in high school. I think they're morons, but what can you do.

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by KryanAshford View Post
    On a new note does anyone know how to control a feeling for adventure? I get this almost every week. I have this feeling like I'm meant to be doing something exciting or notable.
    I use to have that issue, but I honestly don't anymore. I used to feel like the world was so boring and felt like I wanted to do something more. Something exciting or notable, as you put it.
    Truthfully, it wasn't till someone pointed out that my life already is full of events and circumstances that most wouldn't ever experience at all. When I thought about it after that, I realised they are right. Even if I am looking for something more out of life, "less boring", my life is already considerably less boring than most.

I think just about everyone experiences this feeling of wanting to do more. To feel like they should be doing something exciting. I really don't know how that feeling stopped for me, but I have a feeling it has to do with acceptence. At this point in my life, I would just be happy to have things be less eventful, and just have more stability. I would like to just feel relaxed for once not having to worry about every little thing. To have a point where, I have a decent job that pays the bills. I can just play the games I want to play after work. Do things I want to do. Buy things now and then that I want. To not be in constant fear of whether or not tomorrow will be the breaking point that sends me over cliff. To actually know my physical health is fine and that I have my mental health under control.

Most people can be parents, so why do people is that as such a great thing.
    Probably because it's simple and they know once they are done, a part of them will continue on. Remember, as a speciies technically reproduction is one of our evolutionary instincts. It might be hard to understand it now, but I think people who typically have a kid, would consider parenting to be thier greatest achievment.

I'm an uncle and I honestly don't get much out of it. I love my nephews and nieces, but I see them mostly as a drain. (Energy wise and income wise.)
    Ya, I think that is quite a bit different. They are not your kids, so it's not the same feeling at all.

Personally if I want kids. I wouldn't want them till I feel stable mentally, and financially before I allow it to happen. Plus I need someone I truly adore before I would be willing to reproduce. I have friends who had kids while they were still in high school. I think they're morons, but what can you do.
    Yep, I feel exactly the same way lol XD.

Just fought it off again. Man this sucks. It started again after I stopped wearing again. That and a mix of being aimless. Still looking for someone (Therapist) I haven't had much luck. My hometown is a sad little dust ball. Our hospital sends people away to other places an hour away. I'm okay. I'm okay. (Stressing myself out)

So I decided to give up on the video game designer idea. I know I've said this before, but I need a job where I'm not monitor so heavily, somewhere where I mostly work on my own. Little to no social interaction. I gave up on the idea of making or inventing things. It's just not possible.

As for the whole "Your life is some special" I don't want to be hurtful, but if you do the numbers. Someone somewhere and sometime had lived a very similar or exactly life. Even a random number generator hits the same number twice. Only a few people get to be truly special, and I KNOW I SHOULD BE ONE. I'm not some normal human. I'm better than that. I know my God complex is flaring up.

Seriously I hate this subject. I've had the problem for over a decade. I know dozens of wrong answers, so where the HECK is the right one

Quote Originally Posted by KryanAshford View Post
    Just fought it off again. Man this sucks. It started again after I stopped wearing again. That and a mix of being aimless. Still looking for someone (Therapist) I haven't had much luck. My hometown is a sad little dust ball. Our hospital sends people away to other places an hour away. I'm okay. I'm okay. (Stressing myself out)

So I decided to give up on the video game designer idea. I know I've said this before, but I need a job where I'm not monitor so heavily, somewhere where I mostly work on my own. Little to no social interaction. I gave up on the idea of making or inventing things. It's just not possible.

As for the whole "Your life is some special" I don't want to be hurtful, but if you do the numbers. Someone somewhere and sometime had lived a very similar or exactly life. Even a random number generator hits the same number twice. Only a few people get to be truly special, and I KNOW I SHOULD BE ONE. I'm not some normal human. I'm better than that. I know my God complex is flaring up.

Seriously I hate this subject. I've had the problem for over a decade. I know dozens of wrong answers, so where the HECK is the right one
    I know what it's like to feel directionless. When I was younger, I felt I was capable of doing so much more than the work I was doing. I spent a decade working in the government and I hated it. I hated my life. I went back and forth between trying to 'fit in' but often feeling I was on a different planet and wanting something more for myself. This is where an important decision has to be made. You can choose to seek an undefined goal which you hope will bring happiness or you can dedicate yourself to the work you're doing and exceed the expections of upper management with a new energy, enthusiasm, and commitment. Either option is valid. The option of finding more fulfilling work that reflects your talents and capabilities can bring a lifetime of happiness, but you have to reach out for it, it doesn't come looking at you. It requires planning, narrowing down your best skills and greatest interests, determining the steps you need to take, and following through on a plan to get there.

I can understand why it feels so overwhelming. Throughout your posts, you have identified a multitude of problems and obstacles that have occurred throughout your life: parental abuse, low self-esteem, relationships, anger and depression. If you get held back in one of these areas, then moving ahead in other areas can be difficult. For myself, it wasn't until I got out of an abusive home that I was able to work on my own self-esteem and begin to have the confidence to take some chances and work towards a better future. It took time to narrow down the options, being denied admission to college, taking a night course, volunteer work, before I was finally accepted when I re-applied to college a second time. It was a long process with limited funds, but I learned so much on the way, along with the unexpected detours, all of which was valuable learning, and contributed to the person I am today.

For me to move forward and make those decisions, I first had to take a step back and put all the past abuse behind me. I had to deal with depression, anger and a mistrust of people. It took time to be away from my abusive father and I wasn't able to do it alone. It took some therapy and facing my past, and learning to let it go. Because what is important is not what was done to you, but where you are right now and where you want to go from here.

I think you know this as well, because you've stated you have been looking for a therapist. This is excellent news, and I would like to suggest that you make this a primary goal. After a decade of feeling depressed, it's time to try a different path. I would suggest getting in touch with your doctor. Perhaps they may be able to make a good referral based on knowing your situation and the services available in your community. They may also know of professionals who have reduced rates or sliding scale fees if your insurance policy doesn't cover it (but do read your policy thoroughly first, you may be surprised what it covers).

My feeling is that you are dealing with a lot of issues, and they all seem to be coming at you all at once. You need to pick one of those issues and commit to tackling it. Just commit to an area that has been holding you back and face it head on. And then take some small steps in addressing it. I think depression and dealing with your past has probably been a significant barrier and would seem to be the best place to start. It can also help put a support network in place to help you take the next steps in your journey.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 18-Apr-2017 at 03:15.