Can anyone explain this pacifier related question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommycombs

Est. Contributor
I'm fairly new to using a paci. I got a few to enhance my experiences, not thinking I was going to really take to them, but I do like them. But I've noticed something odd, I often get a quick quivering movement in my jaw and tongue while sucking on it. I've noticed this before with suckers, and obvious sexual jokes aside, I'm wondering is this perhaps a remnant of the infant sucking mechanism or is something else going on? Does this happen to anyone else?

I have had a paci in while but it possible to have that sensation. I would think

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Tommycombs said:
I'm fairly new to using a paci. I got a few to enhance my experiences, not thinking I was going to really take to them, but I do like them. But I've noticed something odd, I often get a quick quivering movement in my jaw and tongue while sucking on it. I've noticed this before with suckers, and obvious sexual jokes aside, I'm wondering is this perhaps a remnant of the infant sucking mechanism or is something else going on? Does this happen to anyone else?

There's a name for this but I forget it at the moment. Many people get this at the dentist when the dentist is holding their jaw open, pressing downward in order to drill a tooth. When I had a root canal, the doctor used a mouth dam, a rubber devise which opened my jaw to an uncomfortable amount. After an hour of that, my jaw began to quiver uncontrollably. I had to go to the bathroom by then, so I took a break for a few minutes. My jaw stopped shaking and we were able to continue, but it was a very uncomfortable feeling.

Not all pacifiers are made equal. Many of the cheaper nipples are crappy silicone balloons. A proper NUK style pacifier nipple is vented at the base and air can be sucked in or removed so it conforms to your mouth. As a result, the cheaper ones can be uncomfortable for many people. I solved it by putting 2 tiny pinholes on the sides near the guard. Now it inflates or deflates in response to my sucking, so it fits properly. If you're having issues, make sure yours is not a sealed balloon.

NovaDL said:
Not all pacifiers are made equal. Many of the cheaper nipples are crappy silicone balloons. A proper NUK style pacifier nipple is vented at the base and air can be sucked in or removed so it conforms to your mouth. As a result, the cheaper ones can be uncomfortable for many people. I solved it by putting 2 tiny pinholes on the sides near the guard. Now it inflates or deflates in response to my sucking, so it fits properly. If you're having issues, make sure yours is not a sealed balloon.
Possibly. I use an adult paci that fits and works nicely. But I have some baby ones that obviously are a bit harder to use. I'll see if they cause the same thing.

I get it too. It's normal I think.

The speed sucking only happens when I try to sleep with one in my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back