Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sean Spicer- Hitler was no Assad!

Default Sean Spicer- Hitler was no Assad!

Is it time for Sean Spicer to resign or be fired (oh please say yes!). The man is Press Secretary for the President yet he continuously puts his foot in his mouth and has little credibility left.

Yesterday when speaking to reporters on Assad's use of chemical weapons, Spicer attempted to compare Assad to Hitler.
    Spicer claimed that Assad was even worse than Hitler, because Hitler “didn’t even sink to using chemical weapons." Apparently the millions of Jews who were gassed in the concentration camps don't count?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/sean-sp...pons-1.4066206

I think no matter where you stand on the political spectrum, making public statements with comparisons to Hitler are bound to backfire on you and get you off your message.

But Spicer took it further and couldn't even articulate his position, for which he spent the remainder of the day clarifying and apologizing for his comments.

We didn’t use chemical weapons in World War II. You know, you had someone as despicable as Hitler who didn’t even sink to using chemical weapons. So you have to, if you’re Russia, ask yourself: ‘Is this a country that you, and a regime, that you want to align yourself with?’”

As reporters shook their head in disbelief and asked him to clarify, he went on to say “He was not using gas on his own people in the same way that Assad is doing,” adding that Hitler “brought them into the Holocaust centers,” apparently referring to the gas chambers.

The Ann Frank Center for Mutual Respect condemned Spicer for engaging in Holocaust denial as the most offensive form of fake news.

Spicer has gone from buffoonish, like calling to Trump's Inauguration being 'the largest attended inauguration in history,' referring to our Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau as "Joe Trudeau" when Trudeau visited Trump in Washington, to downright incompetence. The role of the Press Secretary is to clearly convey the White House message, not derail it. Clear, nuanced communication is required, while Spicer continually bumbles through another day of proving he is not up to this job.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 12-Apr-2017 at 16:48.

How is that comment bad? We (mostly) all agree Hitler was bad, and now he is saying Assad is even worse. Do you actually think Assad isn't that bad?

So Assad gasses a bunch of his citizens, and you think Sean Spicer should be fired. Oh please? Yeah, I'll give you an Oh Please, and raise you another 50 Tomahawks.

<Thinking back to a day some 30+ years ago when Saint Ronald sent the F-111's screaming over Qhaddafi's palace at low level. He swore off WMD's shortly thereafter>

Sean Spicer blatantly getting basic shit wrong about the Holocaust during Passover is pathetic it's not about if it was that big of a deal, he's embarrassing everyone. The press secretary for the most powerful man on the earth shouldn't be fucking up like this. But there's been a trend under this administration of belittling the Holocaust. Maybe the Bannon influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    How is that comment bad? We (mostly) all agree Hitler was bad, and now he is saying Assad is even worse. Do you actually think Assad isn't that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    So Assad gasses a bunch of his citizens, and you think Sean Spicer should be fired. Oh please? Yeah, I'll give you an Oh Please, and raise you another 50 Tomahawks.

<Thinking back to a day some 30+ years ago when Saint Ronald sent the F-111's screaming over Qhaddafi's palace at low level. He swore off WMD's shortly thereafter>
    Like Trump, Spicer either ignores the facts or provides his own alternative facts.

Assad is a brutal dictator whose regime committed genocidal war crimes on Syrians, but Hitler’s use of gas chambers to commit genocide against millions of Jews, including “his own people,” German Jews, was obviously an abuse of chemical weapons as well.

But Spicer’s offensive and inaccurate comments got worse. "He (Hitler) brought them into the Holocaust centers, I understand that. But not in the way that Bashar al-Assad used them where he went into towns, dropped them down, into the middle of towns.”

Apparently, Spicer thinks it’s OK to whitewash history and call Nazi concentration camps, where millions of Jews died, “Holocaust centers.” He also seems unaware of how Nazis rounded up and isolated Jews in ghettos, stealing their businesses, homes and possessions. Yet the Trump administration swears it is trying really hard to stay away from anti-Semitic rhetoric.

Unlike Trump, Spicer apologized when he was proven wrong and stated “I made a mistake; there’s no other way to say it. I got into a topic that I shouldn’t have, and I screwed up.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/12/b...-comments.html

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    Are you kidding me?! It shows that Spicer is completely incapable of doing his job! He should be responsible for managing the public impression of the Whitehouse administration.

Instead, he's demonstrating his ignorance (and contempt for) history and trying to weave his own "false news" propaganda into everything he says.

He's fooling no one. Yet that's supposed to be his job.

I think this came about because Republicans, and alt-right news pundits have been comparing anyone who disagrees with them as Hitler or in some way, related to the Hitler regime. It was only a mater of time before it blew up in one of their faces. What really stood out to me was Spicer's comment, "Hitler didn't use chemical weapons on his own people," inferring that anyone who wasn't white wasn't German, German born Jews thus not being German. So can we imply that here in the U. S., anyone who isn't descended from Western Europe isn't a real American? It seemed like a nasty Freudian slip.

It seems pretty obvious that what was being referred to was chemical warfare. The holocaust wasn't a a war, it was a genocide. Of course, it's ridiculous to call someone "worse than Hitler" based solely off their warfare methods, but trying to portray the comment as outright holocaust denial is incredibly disingenuous. It was a careless and poorly thought out statement for sure, but the media are the ones who chose to interpret it as unfavorably as possible and peddle that twisted interpretation to the public, so it seems pretty clear they're the ones derailing things with "alternate facts".

First of all: Don't really agree your average dictator / war criminal with Hitler. It's in most cases out of any proportion.
    Secondly, he was right. Hitler never used, to my knowledge, chemical weapons during combat operations. Of course, everyone knows the Nazis used gas chambers to kill millions of jews, political enemies, homosexuals, sinti/roma, disabled and so on. There is quiet a difference. Not that it makes murdering people in the gas chamber any less worse but you can't accuse him that he got this statement wrong. You can accuse him of the fact that his comparison is disproportional and stupid.
    Generally speaking, any US representative should get down from his high f*ing horse. Not long ago the US executed minors, used gas chambers (still an option in some states). if you look up the gas chamber article on wikipedia you will somehow notice that they mention Nazi Germany, North Korea and, oh, the USA as potential users of the gas chamber for humans. How f*ed up is that, putting criminals, maybe innocent people, in a gas chamber, restrain them and let them breath their own f*ing death.
    And again, I said this in another thread, using chemical weapons is somehow objected as a really really bad and cunning thing. I can see why people think it's bad because it's a somewhat fearsome way to die in a combat. But I don't really see the difference between being blown up or maybe just half blown up, looking at my arms and legs scattered all over the place and living for a few minutes or inhaling gas, coughing, I don't know, and then die a painful or not so painful death. To me this all seems equally f*ed up.
    This whole discussion in the public right now is so dumb in so many ways.

Good god, get over the political correctness. Press conference faux paux aside, I think you'll find Jews generally and Israeli's specifically are more comfortable with the Donald than his predecessor.

Tell you what, since we're going to crucify people for mentioning Hitler, how about a 'prisoner exchange'... You can fire Sean Spencer if I can lose Dick Durbin:

Edit: Now that I think about it, who pays attention to a press secretary anyway, other than the assigned media cabal? Seems to me like its just another Inside Washington circle jerk.