Ruh-oh I have a rash

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrinkleMyJimmies

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I recently tried going 24/7 for a week for the first time. I really liked it :biggrin: but...I now have a pretty obvious diaper rash. It's not sore or itchy but my booty looks ugly :frown: I've been using baby powder and a barrier cream and showering 1-2 times per day but still got rash ugh. I only wear wet diapers for any length of time, on the couple of occasions I have tried messing I've changed pretty much instantly. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Am I just not used to wearing? Should I try not wearing at night?

CrinkleMyJimmies said:
I recently tried going 24/7 for a week for the first time. I really liked it :biggrin: but...I now have a pretty obvious diaper rash. It's not sore or itchy but my booty looks ugly :frown: I've been using baby powder and a barrier cream and showering 1-2 times per day but still got rash ugh. I only wear wet diapers for any length of time, on the couple of occasions I have tried messing I've changed pretty much instantly. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Am I just not used to wearing? Should I try not wearing at night?

Your skin is just not used to it. IF you wear for long periods enough then your skin will adapt. That would lilely take a while though (years even).

Airing out is also a must at least once or twice a day. I typically lie under a fan to dry my skin out. It takes maybe two minutes this way. Without a fan, twenty minutes at least.

Once your skin is dried out, apply some cream. It needs to be the kind that fully absorbs into your skin, so as to heal the rash. Next, apply some ointment (with zinc) to act as a barrier to prevent it from getting worse. Powder can also help when you diaper up too, but I find it isn't as necessary as both cream and ointment.

Reactions: Jdp and Hotdog55
Annoyingly I found my last rash was due to being allergic to a particular nappy and have put those aside.

Most of the time some neat lavender oil can cure nappy rash if it's purely bacterial otherwise can you swap to another brand for a bit?

Pretty hard to pinpoint if it's a particular brand I'm allergic to since I've been using a mixture of abdl brands and cheaper landstore bought stuff.

I second the "your skin just isn't used to it" comment. Also, after things settle down, you may still find a persistent change in condition. For example, I have a fairly constant battle with pimples on the sides of my hips, held in check only by very liberal use of talc. I'll also get them under my butt cheeks where the leg gathers wrap around, which also requires heavy powdering to keep (somewhat) under control. But then again I have fairly sensitive skin. The average person doesn't have to deal with this level of skin irritation.

If you can get some bepanthin and go without for a day or 2 or only use nappies you know you are absolutely used to. When the rash goes try to wear the same brand for a few days (3-4) and then swap to see if any of them trigger for you.

Of course it might just have been bad luck rash or sensitive skin.

On the flip side has anyone ever tried to treat nappy rash with natural yoghurt? Understand it helps get yeast infections under control.

bambinod said:
I second the "your skin just isn't used to it" comment.
That is most likely it. My skin likes routine. Any change in my skincare routine typically breaks me out at first, but that doesn't mean that something isn't good for me longer term. I don't think it's an allergy to a particular product, because it's not inflamed and itchy.

CrinkleMyJimmies said:
That is most likely it. My skin likes routine. Any change in my skincare routine typically breaks me out at first, but that doesn't mean that something isn't good for me longer term. I don't think it's an allergy to a particular product, because it's not inflamed and itchy.

Very glad to hear it!

And of course nappies long term is the best thing for all of us :)

Look for a diaper rash cream that has calamine powder in it. Two that come to mind are anti-monkey butt (they make an ointment and powder). And Calmoseptine, this stuff is thick, but good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been24/7 for over 20 years due to severe bowel urgency after surgery. Do what works best. For me I use Desitin ointment and never have rashes. It's expensive but still better than a rash.

I found that after a while my skin adjusted and I could stop using the ointment

Remember its also important to give your bum some "air time" even if it isn't days, an hour on a pad to let it dry is very important to stoping rashes and odors, let it air out so it can dry off. Powder can also help but make sure its one your skin doesn't object to.

I used to have to apply zinc cream on my skin every time I used nappies. Also, talc very heavily.
Now my skin got used to it, and I use potato starch (it's more common and cheaper where I live than maizena or other kind of corn starch) for my skin to keep dry. I used to have problems on the sides of my hips the most, but I learned how to not tie the nappy on too tight and that helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back