Not open for further replies.

SabuInu

Unsure lil Pupper
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if there are any good real-time strategy games with base building out there which are fun to play, maybe with a friend.

Games I enjoyed so far are the Command & Conquer games and a few others like Rise of Nations and Warcraft 3.

I tried Dawn of War, Anno 2070, Starcraft and some older games but they didn't really float my boat...think I played Anno for only two hours or so.

Do you know any good ones maybe released in 2016 or recently which are worth looking at?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Sincerely,
Sabu

You said you tried the old starcraft, but have you tried the new starcraft 2?

Company of Heroes 2 is by far my favorite RTS and has some degree of base building, but you might like the fact that the game highly rewards players who build fortifications (Sandbags, barbed wire, mines, tank traps, emplacements etc.) out on the battlefield. Two factions' strength lies in being able to build a base or massive network of fortifications wherever you want on the map.

CoH1 is quite good too.

It might be helpful to explain what you did and did not like about each of those games; I rate the original StarCraft as much fun (having spent some thousands of hours playing it) and it most definitely has base-building/resource management.

Traemo said:
It might be helpful to explain what you did and did not like about each of those games; I rate the original StarCraft as much fun (having spent some thousands of hours playing it) and it most definitely has base-building/resource management.

About Starcraft...only tried the first one, it just doesn't work for me, I think it was somewhat to fast paced for me...I was unable to defeat one computer enemy...and got super frustrated by that - maybe it's too much micromanagement (?) with the units.

Command & Conquer was more my thing, the last one I've played was Red Alert 3 and I've had very much fun playing together with two friends, PVP at 4am sooo awesome^^

Maybe I expect way to much from games :(

Check out the Total War (TW) series. They are enormous games and lend themselves to a slower pace with methodical tactics vs spam rushes like StarCraft. I'm currently playing through TW: Rome 2 and it's fantastic. There are a myriad of different factions and each had their advantages/disadvantages. All of them are a blast to play though.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Warzone 2100 is nice. And free.
Campaign, multiplayer battles, single player battles, big tech tree, design your own units, control individual units (or you could in the playstation version... which I rented once... long ago. not always useful, but a fun little feature.) and other stuff
The downsides of the game are that it's a little old, units kinda get stuck sometimes, and the mission time limits can be annoying.

https://wz2100.net/

Fenrir said:
Check out the Total War (TW) series. They are enormous games and lend themselves to a slower pace with methodical tactics vs spam rushes like StarCraft. I'm currently playing through TW: Rome 2 and it's fantastic. There are a myriad of different factions and each had their advantages/disadvantages. All of them are a blast to play though.

The Total War series might be good, that's true...but that's nothing for me :(
I would rather have just a hand full of units, dunno why, Cossacks for example works for me, it has base building and massive amount of units and I totally adore that game(s).

Thank you!

SabuInu said:
The Total War series might be good, that's true...but that's nothing for me :(
I would rather have just a hand full of units, dunno why, Cossacks for example works for me, it has base building and massive amount of units and I totally adore that game(s).

Thank you!
You're very welcome. :)

Age of Mythology: The Titans! I've been playing it since I was six and it never gets old. They have the extended edition on steam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supreme Commander series is really good but if you're a newcomer I highly suggest playing the 2nd one as it's a lot less complex. You get a really big tech tree and really bad ass super weapons

ShippoFox said:
Warzone 2100 is nice. And free.
Campaign, multiplayer battles, single player battles, big tech tree, design your own units, control individual units (or you could in the playstation version... which I rented once... long ago. not always useful, but a fun little feature.) and other stuff
The downsides of the game are that it's a little old, units kinda get stuck sometimes, and the mission time limits can be annoying.
https://wz2100.net/

Sorry for being late on the answer, had some issues the lately with my PC...
Watched a few let's play episodes about it and it's to old for my tastes (not saying it's a bad game), I really wanted something new...do you know "Earth 2150: The Moon Project"? It looks somewhat similar to Warzone, you have 3 different factions, research, weather effects like rain and meteor showers. Might be something for you (But not Earth 2160, thats not a good follow up on Earth 2150)

lalabran said:
Age of Mythology: The Titans! I've been playing it since I was six and it never gets old. They have the extended edition on steam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnowBlitz said:
Supreme Commander series is really good but if you're a newcomer I highly suggest playing the 2nd one as it's a lot less complex. You get a really big tech tree and really bad ass super weapons

Both good recommentations and I am really sorry to say 'no, thanks' even to those games.

Don't want to be rude or unthankful to anyone here, maybe I just want too much or my expectations are way to high, what I miss in almost all games the last years is this 'wow this is amazing/awesome' moments - you might know that when you start a new game for the first time and just want more and more...I just don't have that moment.

Thank you guys.

Sincerely,
Sabu

SabuInu said:
Watched a few let's play episodes about it and it's to old for my tastes (not saying it's a bad game), I really wanted something new...do you know "Earth 2150: The Moon Project"? It looks somewhat similar to Warzone, you have 3 different factions, research, weather effects like rain and meteor showers. Might be something for you (But not Earth 2160, thats not a good follow up on Earth 2150)

Both good recommentations and I am really sorry to say 'no, thanks' even to those games.

Don't want to be rude or unthankful to anyone here, maybe I just want too much or my expectations are way to high, what I miss in almost all games the last years is this 'wow this is amazing/awesome' moments - you might know that when you start a new game for the first time and just want more and more...I just don't have that moment.

Thank you guys.

Sincerely,
Sabu

Well I do hope you find the strategy game you're after eventually. If you ever need any other recommendations hit me up in a PM I'll throw out some more.

Although not strictly base building, this game is a real time strategy game in a way

Rimworld?

SabuInu said:

That does look very similar. Maybe I'll give it a try someday if it goes on sale. It's pretty cheap now, but I already have lots of games to play. :sweatdrop:

MommyandMattling said:
Although not strictly base building, this game is a real time strategy game in a way

Rimworld?

It's currently on my Steam follow-list :)

SabuInu said:
It's currently on my Steam follow-list :)

If you like it, then you should try Dwarf Fortress (with a graphical tile set, unless you're used to ascii roguelikes ) Rimworld was inspired by it.

It's very in-depth. It definitely takes patience to figure out how to play, but it's amazing once you do! (I almost gave up on it after a bit, but I'm very glad I kept trying) And it's free too. Just.... Expect to lose a lot.

However.... maybe you should play Rimworld first. I haven't played it yet, but I don't think it's as complicated to figure out as DF.

The thing that convinced me to try rimworld, and hopefully someday DF (everyone says its wonderful)

was reading the steam reviews of rimworld, and how intricate the stories that generate from the game play itself are.

If you find yourself with a couple minutes of free time, amuse yourself by reading a couple of them

ShippoFox said:
If you like it, then you should try Dwarf Fortress (with a graphical tile set, unless you're used to ascii roguelikes ) Rimworld was inspired by it.

It's very in-depth. It definitely takes patience to figure out how to play, but it's amazing once you do! (I almost gave up on it after a bit, but I'm very glad I kept trying) And it's free too. Just.... Expect to lose a lot.

However.... maybe you should play Rimworld first. I haven't played it yet, but I don't think it's as complicated to figure out as DF.

I am not very patient^^'

Age of Empires 2 is always pretty good. It does have base building, but it's probably not as complex as in other games. It's still a good time, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back