Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an RTS with base building

Default Looking for an RTS with base building

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if there are any good real-time strategy games with base building out there which are fun to play, maybe with a friend.

Games I enjoyed so far are the Command & Conquer games and a few others like Rise of Nations and Warcraft 3.

I tried Dawn of War, Anno 2070, Starcraft and some older games but they didn't really float my boat...think I played Anno for only two hours or so.

Do you know any good ones maybe released in 2016 or recently which are worth looking at?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Sincerely,
    Sabu

You said you tried the old starcraft, but have you tried the new starcraft 2?

Company of Heroes 2 is by far my favorite RTS and has some degree of base building, but you might like the fact that the game highly rewards players who build fortifications (Sandbags, barbed wire, mines, tank traps, emplacements etc.) out on the battlefield. Two factions' strength lies in being able to build a base or massive network of fortifications wherever you want on the map.

CoH1 is quite good too.

It might be helpful to explain what you did and did not like about each of those games; I rate the original StarCraft as much fun (having spent some thousands of hours playing it) and it most definitely has base-building/resource management.

Quote Originally Posted by Traemo View Post
    It might be helpful to explain what you did and did not like about each of those games; I rate the original StarCraft as much fun (having spent some thousands of hours playing it) and it most definitely has base-building/resource management.
    About Starcraft...only tried the first one, it just doesn't work for me, I think it was somewhat to fast paced for me...I was unable to defeat one computer enemy...and got super frustrated by that - maybe it's too much micromanagement (?) with the units.

Command & Conquer was more my thing, the last one I've played was Red Alert 3 and I've had very much fun playing together with two friends, PVP at 4am sooo awesome^^

Maybe I expect way to much from games

Check out the Total War (TW) series. They are enormous games and lend themselves to a slower pace with methodical tactics vs spam rushes like StarCraft. I'm currently playing through TW: Rome 2 and it's fantastic. There are a myriad of different factions and each had their advantages/disadvantages. All of them are a blast to play though.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fenrir; 14-Apr-2017 at 20:54.

Warzone 2100 is nice. And free.
    Campaign, multiplayer battles, single player battles, big tech tree, design your own units, control individual units (or you could in the playstation version... which I rented once... long ago. not always useful, but a fun little feature.) and other stuff
    The downsides of the game are that it's a little old, units kinda get stuck sometimes, and the mission time limits can be annoying.

https://wz2100.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    Check out the Total War (TW) series. They are enormous games and lend themselves to a slower pace with methodical tactics vs spam rushes like StarCraft. I'm currently playing through TW: Rome 2 and it's fantastic. There are a myriad of different factions and each had their advantages/disadvantages. All of them are a blast to play though.

The Total War series might be good, that's true...but that's nothing for me
    I would rather have just a hand full of units, dunno why, Cossacks for example works for me, it has base building and massive amount of units and I totally adore that game(s).

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by SabuInu View Post
    The Total War series might be good, that's true...but that's nothing for me
    I would rather have just a hand full of units, dunno why, Cossacks for example works for me, it has base building and massive amount of units and I totally adore that game(s).

Thank you!
    You're very welcome.

Age of Mythology: The Titans! I've been playing it since I was six and it never gets old. They have the extended edition on steam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk