Top 5 things you wish people knew about IC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpAzpieSweeTot

Daddy's girl through and through! Understood?
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
1. If you are wetting or messing your pants against your will, that's IC, with or without a diagnosed reason. People often experience it before they get their respective fancy diagnoses.

2. There are severity levels! Not everyone needs diapers. Some people only need them sometimes. I've seen on here, granted, not in the IC section, but someone with mild IC posted, asking people's thoughts on him or her wearing for a trip, and the response was, "Well, you're IC. Aren't you?"

The person felt so pounced on, he or she apologized all over himself or herself, saying "I mean I have a weak bladder," and promised to change the profile, and I thought, "Well, honey, if it's causing unwillfully wet pants, then you've IC, caused by bladder weakness."

All IC people wear? That's why that aisle is full of belted undergarments, LBL pads, liners, male guards, pad and pant systems, pull-ups, boosters, diapers, underpads, and probably some I'm forgetting, because if you're IC, you'd better damn well be diapered?!

3. Functional IC is IC, too!

4. No one actually wants it. It can hurt!

5. As with most atypicalities, if you've met one IC person, you've met one IC person.

What are everyone else's top 5?

Last edited:
I am not IC but I enjoy seeing discussions like this to help educate and dispel misconceptions.

Incontinence DOES happen to people of all ages. You're as old as you are, and never "too young to be experiancing that, it must be something else" crap.

Diapers are very much the most common treatement option for incontinence. You don't need pills and surgery just so you can avoid diapers.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:

4. No one actually wants it. It can hurt!

Except the people who come on here every so often asking how to make themselves incontinent...

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
Except the people who come on here every so often asking how to make themselves incontinent...

That's what I'm trying to say. They don't actually want it. They just think they do.

Last edited:
Reactions: AJFan2020
IC is frequently a sign of other health problems , rather than itself a disease , if only babies wear diapers I am the biggest ugliest baby you have ever seen , that there are more IC women than people will ever know , due to there short urethra and being the baby makers ( this goes to the OP'S severity) , more people are "happy" with diapers then all of the anti cholinergic medications combined , that urologists need to be trained a patient in diapers is not a failure of there education or there skills , so don't be afraid to use them or prescribe them .and for the corporate purchasing agents, if you carried even one brand of effective quality diaper they would sell ,not every patient can or will wear a cheap pull up( you don't have to carry ever brand of diaper made, but one decent one would be great , for those that get caught short well traveling or don't want to "hump" a suitcase full around with them) .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

1. Not everyone wearing diapers has mental deficiency. People often think that if a person wearing diapers isn't in a wheelchair they must be mentally challenged.
2.People who are incontinent are different. Everyone is different, diapers are no different then glasses.
3. "Improvements" Incontinence product producers make are not convient as they often require new experimentation.
4. People wearing diapers who aren't in nursing homes are trying to pretend to be babies. Not all of them are.
5. Its irritating to see people saying they want help learning how to mess themselves. It's a major and painful inconvenience, literally pain in the butt.

Reactions: AJFan2020
Slomo said:
Incontinence DOES happen to people of all ages. You're as old as you are, and never "too young to be experiancing that, it must be something else" crap.

Diapers are very much the most common treatement option for incontinence. You don't need pills and surgery just so you can avoid diapers.

The too young shit is just that, bullshit. None of the reasons are specifically tied to age. Some become more likely at older ages as a side effect, but NONE of the reasons for incontinence are unique or specific to old age.

1. Younger, non-disabled people are sometimes incontinent, as well as the groups of people you might more obviously associate it with.

2. Incontinence isn't an illness in itself, it's a symptom, there are a number of types and many things can cause it.

3. Not everyone with incontinence can get away with a thin, discreet pad or even the pull up underwear they advertise on TV... some adults do need to wear a nappy, including some I referred to in point 1.

4. Adult nappies are not generally obvious, you probably walk past people wearing them all the time without noticing!

5. Incontinent people can have normal and fulfilling lives with the appropriate protection, even if that is a genuine adult nappy.

Again, not incontinent myself but my DL interests have led me to plenty of research on the topic!

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
That's what I'm trying to say. They don't actually want it. They just think they do.

While in general, I think you're spot on, we've seen a few members here who claim to prefer incontinence (bedwetting seems the most common) after they have either practiced and weakened themselves or had it thrust upon them by some health circumstance. It's really not my bag, baby, but never underestimate the ability of people to confound expectations, particularly reasonable ones.

Trevor said:
While in general, I think you're spot on, we've seen a few members here who claim to prefer incontinence (bedwetting seems the most common) after they have either practiced and weakened themselves or had it thrust upon them by some health circumstance. It's really not my bag, baby, but never underestimate the ability of people to confound expectations, particularly reasonable ones.

There are different levels and types of incontinence. I have been and still somewhat am urge incontinent. Those urges are painful for me, and the flooding that follows makes it difficult for even the thickest diapers to handle it. This I do not want.

However, I have been seeking surgeries to make me functionally incontinent where I'll dribble all the time without even feeling it- meaning no pain and no flooding. This absolutely do want. (Escpecially given the alternative).

Trevor said:

I would trade my intermittent fecal incontinence for full urinary incontinence in a heartbeat.

I was a diapered bedwetter into my early teens. I was so glad when I became dry at night. However, some ab/dl behavoir started to interest me. Never obsessive or compulsive but with other still active bedwetters in the house diapers were everywhere. I didn't indulge often but when I did it was intense. Then in my 30's i had a few hospitalizations for serious diverticulitis flares. A week with NOTHING by mouth with a course of cipro. After the 2nd flare the doctors feared a perforation and warned of the grave danger of sepsis. They also said one of these times I wouldn't be so lucky and would end up with an emergency colostomy and another surgery down the road to hook me back up after I healed. I decided to have the surgery electively. As usual, there were complications and for some reason they couldn't explain I started to go into kidney failure. They were afraid to operate again so I ended up in the ICU and put in an induced coma. When I was brought out of the induced coma I ended up on the surgical ward, extremely weak and you guessed it, in a diaper. I was so weak I couldn't even feed myself once I was allowed food. But the nurses took excellent care of me and never made me selfconscious when changing my diaper. It was weird getting fed, changed and given bed baths. It took a few weeks but I was sent home, still needing the diapers. The doctors said it would be temporary and would clear up on it's own. They said it was a rare condition that presented in only a few patients post operatively. I was surprised at all the complcations for such a miner bowel resection. They only removed 1' of my lower colon. I had a scar from my pubic area to my lower chest. Rehab was painful. My mobility was very limited. And I had intense urgency when I had to have a BM that I was for all practical purposes incontinent. The worst part was all the BM's were like water and very uncomfortable. My healing took a while but the exterme urgency persisted. I complained to the doctors and they said to give it time. It was suggested that I use a bulk producing fiber supplement to stop the constant loose stool. I experimented with Metamucil and finally had sucess with 3 to 4 extra large doses a day. Unfortunately, it did nothing to help with the urgency and it increased frquency and horror of all horrors, extremely increased volume. I was still greatfull for semi-firm BM's but loading my diapers all day long was exhausting. The times I did try to get to the bathroom were mostly complete disasters. Not only did I still have to clean myself but also the bathroom. I resigned myself to depending on diapers and began seeing other doctors, none of who had reasonable answers. A colostomy was suggested by several but after exstensive research the notion was discarded.So here I am over 20 years later and still having 3 to 5 bowel accidents a day. I tried enemas but they gave me at best 5 hours of relief. When absolutely necessary, I'll use loperamide when in large social gaterings or flying but that results in an extremely messy period when it wears off. So when I read about how others want to be bowel incontinent I scratch my head in amazement. They have no clue of how exhauting and inconvenient it can be. I have to take special precautions with skin care. I use Desitin ointment with zinc oxide to prevent rashes, I use Nullo deoderant pills to prevent odor and air my skin out on a daily basis. Changing a loaded diaper in public? They have no idea. It became such a nightmare for me that i just use heavier protection and live with a load ( or 2 ) in my diapers until I decide to head home for a proper change and shower. So, for the typical ab/dl who wants to be IC, think hard about what you're wishing for. Any thrill I used to get wearing diapers for fun is mostly gone. I would do just about anything to once again have that choice.

jack3295 said:
I was a diapered bedwetter into my early teens. I was so glad when I became dry at night. However, some ab/dl behavoir started to interest me. Never obsessive or compulsive but with other still active bedwetters in the house diapers were everywhere. I didn't indulge often but when I did it was intense. Then in my 30's i had a few hospitalizations for serious diverticulitis flares. A week with NOTHING by mouth with a course of cipro. After the 2nd flare the doctors feared a perforation and warned of the grave danger of sepsis. They also said one of these times I wouldn't be so lucky and would end up with an emergency colostomy and another surgery down the road to hook me back up after I healed. I decided to have the surgery electively. As usual, there were complications and for some reason they couldn't explain I started to go into kidney failure. They were afraid to operate again so I ended up in the ICU and put in an induced coma. When I was brought out of the induced coma I ended up on the surgical ward, extremely weak and you guessed it, in a diaper. I was so weak I couldn't even feed myself once I was allowed food. But the nurses took excellent care of me and never made me selfconscious when changing my diaper. It was weird getting fed, changed and given bed baths. It took a few weeks but I was sent home, still needing the diapers. The doctors said it would be temporary and would clear up on it's own. They said it was a rare condition that presented in only a few patients post operatively. I was surprised at all the complcations for such a miner bowel resection. They only removed 1' of my lower colon. I had a scar from my pubic area to my lower chest. Rehab was painful. My mobility was very limited. And I had intense urgency when I had to have a BM that I was for all practical purposes incontinent. The worst part was all the BM's were like water and very uncomfortable. My healing took a while but the exterme urgency persisted. I complained to the doctors and they said to give it time. It was suggested that I use a bulk producing fiber supplement to stop the constant loose stool. I experimented with Metamucil and finally had sucess with 3 to 4 extra large doses a day. Unfortunately, it did nothing to help with the urgency and it increased frquency and horror of all horrors, extremely increased volume. I was still greatfull for semi-firm BM's but loading my diapers all day long was exhausting. The times I did try to get to the bathroom were mostly complete disasters. Not only did I still have to clean myself but also the bathroom. I resigned myself to depending on diapers and began seeing other doctors, none of who had reasonable answers. A colostomy was suggested by several but after exstensive research the notion was discarded.So here I am over 20 years later and still having 3 to 5 bowel accidents a day. I tried enemas but they gave me at best 5 hours of relief. When absolutely necessary, I'll use loperamide when in large social gaterings or flying but that results in an extremely messy period when it wears off. So when I read about how others want to be bowel incontinent I scratch my head in amazement. They have no clue of how exhauting and inconvenient it can be. I have to take special precautions with skin care. I use Desitin ointment with zinc oxide to prevent rashes, I use Nullo deoderant pills to prevent odor and air my skin out on a daily basis. Changing a loaded diaper in public? They have no idea. It became such a nightmare for me that i just use heavier protection and live with a load ( or 2 ) in my diapers until I decide to head home for a proper change and shower. So, for the typical ab/dl who wants to be IC, think hard about what you're wishing for. Any thrill I used to get wearing diapers for fun is mostly gone. I would do just about anything to once again have that choice.

Yeah I get that level of bowell incontinence would be horrible. Much worse than urinary incontinence for sure. Now if it was something that happened only overnight or just once a day, that might be different.

I myself am just "weakened" back there. 99% of the time I'm just fine. Every now and then though I just can't hold it in (usually from holding too long, or diareah). I find this level of bowel incontinence isn't bad at all, and sometimes can be a huge relief or even messy turn on during diaper play.

Just like with urinary incontinence, there are varying degrees of severity. I'm sure anyone who thinks they might want to be incontinent, urinary and/or bowell, they are thinking it will be the lighter degree.

1. It's not something that effects my life as much as someone might think; I've been incontinent for years and on a daily basis I spend probably the same amount of time in the bathroom (probably less) as other people and carry a bag with me everywhere I go (like many people)
2. I'm really conscious about smell, so I drink a lot of water, which means I probably wet more than most people. It seems counter-intuitve, but it's the most practical way I've found to deal with being incontinent. Smell always becomes noticeable, and lots of water and shaving everything regularly helps prevent it more than plastic pants (although the plastic-backed Attends I wear contain odor better than other more, expensive cloth-backed diapers)
3. A lot of people on these threads say that it's possible to be discrete, but I've been in several situations where my pull-ups and diapers are way more obvious than I thought. Letting friends know is a huge relief, and I've never been able to keep it a secret for very long
4. Relationships are the most difficult part
5. Walking around without a diaper or pull-up for a little while feels like walking around without ankle weights, it's the only time I really think about how much my padding is a burden. When I'm in a diaper (which is always, starting late last year) I actually think about it less.

I am a unicorn - I 'successfully' untrained, meaning I went from continent to incontinent on purpose.

Don't do this.

You may have solidly decided to untrain, but you will change. By untraining, you're betting that your feelings about untraining won't change, and that's an incredibly foolish bet to make.

It's worth considering that you don't necessarily experience the positives and negatives of untraining at the same time, which may skew your ability to compare them. Like, you know what? I still enjoy the things that made me decide to untrain in the first place. I get a thrill from waking up wet. I love that my collection of AB/DL and otherwise diaper-friendly stuff is bigger than most people can probably dream of. But I still feel a little bit sick in the pit of my stomach every time I'm obliged to out my incontinence to someone. I still feel regret every time I have to turn down a performance opportunity because I wouldn't be able to conceal my diapered state well enough or wouldn't logistically be able to deal with diaper changes without outing myself to a bunch of gossiping strangers. I wasn't mature enough to consider these things until well after the point when I couldn't turn back.

Top 5 things I wish people knew about incontinence?

1. Incontinence can, and usually is, a "1-100" problem; it can affect people at any age, and it is definitely not an "old-age" problem. I am currently 49, and I've been incontinent since 2014.

2. Just because I wear diapers does not mean that I have an obsession or fetish for them. That being said, I find that wearing diapers does fulfill an emotional need for me, and I do find them very comfortable, as well as functional.

3. Wearing a diaper is just like slipping a pair of underwear on; you are not ashamed or embarrassed to wear underwear, so why should I feel ashamed or embarrassed about wearing a diaper?

4. Incontinence exists in several different types and degrees of severity. For example, I have urinary incontinence, but I still use the bathroom to have a BM. So, incontinence must be understood on an individual basis, as it does not affect people in a universal way.

5. People with incontinence, just like any other disability, can, and do, lead normal, independent, successful lives. Never judge a person on basis of incontinence or any other disability, look at people for what they can do - their talents, skills, and abilities - not by their diagnoses or labels that they may have regarding their medical conditions.

Slomo said:
You don't need pills and surgery just so you can avoid diapers.

Thanks! Actually pills and surgery may have side effects which are worse then diapers.

Kaliborio said:
I am a unicorn - I 'successfully' untrained, meaning I went from continent to incontinent on purpose.

Don't do this.

You may have solidly decided to untrain, but you will change. By untraining, you're betting that your feelings about untraining won't change, and that's an incredibly foolish bet to make.

It's worth considering that you don't necessarily experience the positives and negatives of untraining at the same time, which may skew your ability to compare them. Like, you know what? I still enjoy the things that made me decide to untrain in the first place. I get a thrill from waking up wet. I love that my collection of AB/DL and otherwise diaper-friendly stuff is bigger than most people can probably dream of. But I still feel a little bit sick in the pit of my stomach every time I'm obliged to out my incontinence to someone. I still feel regret every time I have to turn down a performance opportunity because I wouldn't be able to conceal my diapered state well enough or wouldn't logistically be able to deal with diaper changes without outing myself to a bunch of gossiping strangers. I wasn't mature enough to consider these things until well after the point when I couldn't turn back.

Off topic, but... Actually, reverse potty training is the best way to go. First, it takes many months if not a full year to fully unpotty train. Most people will easily experience most travel/social situations during this time- which will give them plenty of time to stop.

Second, if like you say their minds change, even afterward untraining, it actually isn't that hard to just re-potty train. If you were able to do it as a toddler, you can still do it as an adult (barring any other complications)

If you personally regret it that much, then why don't you just potty train yourself again?

rusalka said:
Thanks! Actually pills and surgery may have side effects which are worse then diapers.
Totally agree. I had a choice of taking a chance at managing with pills with a very good chance of wrecking my liver. Ooooor simply by diapers and adapt. The latter was easily the better choice for me.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back