Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 things you wish people knew about IC?

Question Top 5 things you wish people knew about IC?

1. If you are wetting or messing your pants against your will, that's IC, with or without a diagnosed reason. People often experience it before they get their respective fancy diagnoses.

2. There are severity levels! Not everyone needs diapers. Some people only need them sometimes. I've seen on here, granted, not in the IC section, but someone with mild IC posted, asking people's thoughts on him or her wearing for a trip, and the response was, "Well, you're IC. Aren't you?"

The person felt so pounced on, he or she apologized all over himself or herself, saying "I mean I have a weak bladder," and promised to change the profile, and I thought, "Well, honey, if it's causing unwillfully wet pants, then you've IC, caused by bladder weakness."

All IC people wear? That's why that aisle is full of belted undergarments, LBL pads, liners, male guards, pad and pant systems, pull-ups, boosters, diapers, underpads, and probably some I'm forgetting, because if you're IC, you'd better damn well be diapered?!

3. Functional IC is IC, too!

4. No one actually wants it. It can hurt!

5. As with most atypicalities, if you've met one IC person, you've met one IC person.

What are everyone else's top 5?
    Last edited by SpAzpieSweeTot; 10-Apr-2017 at 18:04.

I am not IC but I enjoy seeing discussions like this to help educate and dispel misconceptions.

Incontinence DOES happen to people of all ages. You're as old as you are, and never "too young to be experiancing that, it must be something else" crap.

Diapers are very much the most common treatement option for incontinence. You don't need pills and surgery just so you can avoid diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by SpAzpieSweeTot View Post

4. No one actually wants it. It can hurt!

Except the people who come on here every so often asking how to make themselves incontinent...

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaWolfNagihiko View Post
    Except the people who come on here every so often asking how to make themselves incontinent...
    That's what I'm trying to say. They don't actually want it. They just think they do.
    Last edited by SpAzpieSweeTot; 10-Apr-2017 at 18:08.

IC is frequently a sign of other health problems , rather than itself a disease , if only babies wear diapers I am the biggest ugliest baby you have ever seen , that there are more IC women than people will ever know , due to there short urethra and being the baby makers ( this goes to the OP'S severity) , more people are "happy" with diapers then all of the anti cholinergic medications combined , that urologists need to be trained a patient in diapers is not a failure of there education or there skills , so don't be afraid to use them or prescribe them .and for the corporate purchasing agents, if you carried even one brand of effective quality diaper they would sell ,not every patient can or will wear a cheap pull up( you don't have to carry ever brand of diaper made, but one decent one would be great , for those that get caught short well traveling or don't want to "hump" a suitcase full around with them) .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

1. Not everyone wearing diapers has mental deficiency. People often think that if a person wearing diapers isn't in a wheelchair they must be mentally challenged.
    2.People who are incontinent are different. Everyone is different, diapers are no different then glasses.
    3. "Improvements" Incontinence product producers make are not convient as they often require new experimentation.
    4. People wearing diapers who aren't in nursing homes are trying to pretend to be babies. Not all of them are.
    5. Its irritating to see people saying they want help learning how to mess themselves. It's a major and painful inconvenience, literally pain in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    Incontinence DOES happen to people of all ages. You're as old as you are, and never "too young to be experiancing that, it must be something else" crap.

Diapers are very much the most common treatement option for incontinence. You don't need pills and surgery just so you can avoid diapers.
    The too young shit is just that, bullshit. None of the reasons are specifically tied to age. Some become more likely at older ages as a side effect, but NONE of the reasons for incontinence are unique or specific to old age.

1. Younger, non-disabled people are sometimes incontinent, as well as the groups of people you might more obviously associate it with.

2. Incontinence isn't an illness in itself, it's a symptom, there are a number of types and many things can cause it.

3. Not everyone with incontinence can get away with a thin, discreet pad or even the pull up underwear they advertise on TV... some adults do need to wear a nappy, including some I referred to in point 1.

4. Adult nappies are not generally obvious, you probably walk past people wearing them all the time without noticing!

5. Incontinent people can have normal and fulfilling lives with the appropriate protection, even if that is a genuine adult nappy.

Again, not incontinent myself but my DL interests have led me to plenty of research on the topic!

Quote Originally Posted by SpAzpieSweeTot View Post
    That's what I'm trying to say. They don't actually want it. They just think they do.
    While in general, I think you're spot on, we've seen a few members here who claim to prefer incontinence (bedwetting seems the most common) after they have either practiced and weakened themselves or had it thrust upon them by some health circumstance. It's really not my bag, baby, but never underestimate the ability of people to confound expectations, particularly reasonable ones.