New to cloth diapering advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlebabyb

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Hi i jst purchased this https://www.e-pleny.cz/Bambinex-ADULT-AIO-inkontinencni-plena-d780.htm?tab=description
all in one aldult diaper, this is my first cloth and i have no clue if im been honest it has a microfibe insert microfiber insert attached to it aswell , and ive washed it about 4 5 times but i do 1 wetting and it leaks the leak gaurds are nice and snug but it leaks i was wondering how i can stop it from leaking i purchased some bamboo inserts and that allowed me 1 heavy wetting without leaks wich i washed 4 times do i need to wash inserts more or do i need more inserts am i using the right ones the microfiber and bamboo are soaked after 1 wetting is this because i need yo wash them more to get more absorbancy out of the all help would be apricated and also if i roll a insert up and put it in will this help thank u

- - - Updated - - -

They also have double leak gaurds think there called gussets but could be wrong lol

My experience is limited but it matches what I've seen from other posters: all in one diapers are prone to leaks. They're a neat idea and sometimes they work but a secondary barrier pant is often needed, which ruins the point of the product. Maybe they'll get there one day but it seems like they aren't reliable yet.

Thank u trevor so am i best moving to terry nappys then and what would u recomend 4 a fold im looking for somthing very absorbant and not bothered about it been thick ( i love thick ) and wich inserts would u recomend for comfort absorbancey lol thanks trevor im such a newbie with cloth i didnt really like the idea of terry towling was looking for all in one but i truely want to experiance cloth lol

littlebabyb said:
Thank u trevor so am i best moving to terry nappys then and what would u recomend 4 a fold im looking for somthing very absorbant and not bothered about it been thick ( i love thick ) and wich inserts would u recomend for comfort absorbancey lol thanks trevor im such a newbie with cloth i didnt really like the idea of terry towling was looking for all in one but i truely want to experiance cloth lol

As I said, I'm no expert. These are the only cloth diapers I've worn extensively: http://www.fetware.com/velcro-closure-100-cotton-contour-diaper-p-34.html I see you're in the UK but if you're interested, perhaps you can find a similar product over there. I've tried more traditional cloth diapers with pins but I wasn't quite satisfied with the fit or the convenience. With the contour diapers, you'd want to look into boosters like this, as well: http://www.fetware.com/diaper-booster-100-cotton-p-35.html

I hope someone more knowledgeable than me on the subject will also have some input.

Well, you said you like thick, so I'd recommend you just stick with the cloth diapers and no boosters. Go with multiple layers, or better yet one that has multiple layers already sewn together with more material in the center. These are called prefolds, but don't let the name fool you, they still need to be folded then pinned on.

I prefer the leakmaster from adultclothdiapers.com, not sure what kind you'd have available in the UK though.

After that you will need a good diaper cover. Most prefer plastic pants or PUL pants. My favorite is the gary activewear pul pants at the same company. Again, not sure what you'd be able to get though.

littlebabyb said:
im such a newbie with cloth i didnt really like the idea of terry towling was looking for all in one but i truely want to experiance cloth lol
the cheapest way, and what i do, is to just buy a bathsheet from Asda; they're currently being sold for £4 to £5 (depending on store). as medium-weight towelling and folded in half, lengthways, they do for day and night use, but they will sag because of their length.

frost protection fleece will do as a liner (wash before use).

i use mini-bungees for fastening (gave up pins, yonks ago); i just use one across the front, but you can configure them any way you choose (the bungees tend to come in multi-packs). sharpening the ends of their hook into points helps with fixing, and bending the hook inward a bit will help avoid the chance of scratching yourself.

boosting is problematic because of the extra weight, not only of the material but of the extra fluid which can be held. that's why i tend not to bother. what i do do, though, is add some sort of fleece padding for comfort and to help the nappy keep it's shape. i've just recently got some cheap pillow protectors from Aldi (£3.99 for two) and, turned inside out and with the tab cut open, they add a comfy padding as well as acting as a 'quick away' layer (positioned between the nappy and the frost protection fleece). so far, i'm happy with them, but i only tend to use them with my single-layer heavyweight nappies.

plastic pants can be had from various places, but i usually go with IncontinenceShop and get either the Gary plastic pants or the Drylife Basics; the latter are noisier, but they do seem to withstand creams better.
with pants, size up, always: sizing and cuts tend to be crap, especially when it comes to leg-holes, and there is often no allowance for the bulk of a traditional nappy. if you buy a size too large, it's easy to reduce them to fit better. and, ideally, the elastications of the pants shouldn't leave any red marks or indents on your skin. the plastic pants are there to act as a barrier, not a container (that's the nappy's job; if you get leaks, your nappy's too small for the job).

don't let your nappy become drippingly sodden; change when wet.

Last edited:
I use Leakmaster night weight, pre-fold gauze cloth diapers and Leakmaster plastic pants. You'll get a fair amount of bulk from the night weight. You have to pin these. I buy size small as I have a 32" waist. It gives me enough cloth to pin the corners without having to fold them. There are a number of videos on You Tube demonstratng an angel wing fold with a slightly larger pre-fold.

You can wash the cloth diaper with detergent in your washing machine, but don't launder the plastic pants. I rinse mine out in the shower. You can put PUL plastic pants in the washing machine, but plastic pants can never go in a dryer. I air dry mine on plastic coat hangers.

Hey now,
I use cloth pull-up diapers from Kins ( model 10700) and they work great. I use a disposable as a "diaper liner" to keep poop off the cloth diaper and make laundry easier. Pin on or velcro are just to hard. The pull-ups are great. Not so good for public changes but I avoid those at all costs.

I almost allays use disposables but I have read that when washing cloth diapers is to not use a fabric softener in the wash and drying , it seems to limit the absorbency

DracoAmericanus said:
I almost allays use disposables but I have read that when washing cloth diapers is to not use a fabric softener in the wash and drying , it seems to limit the absorbency

This and bleach should not be used too often as it can reduce the useful life of the diaper.

littlebabyb said:
Thank u trevor so am i best moving to terry nappys then and what would u recomend 4 a fold im looking for somthing very absorbant and not bothered about it been thick ( i love thick ) and wich inserts would u recomend for comfort absorbancey lol thanks trevor im such a newbie with
Best baby clothes buy online i didnt really like the idea of terry towling was looking for all in one but i truely want to experiance cloth lol

Hello littlebabyb,

Can you tell me which type of cloths are good for kids in which they are more comfortable??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back