AB Universe going downhill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Abu is doing fine. Speaking of tapes/landing panels, it would be great to have diapers with velcro, like Magnifico's.

klo555 said:
These are all temporary problems. We now have the two warehouses - so we can take on more stock. We now have a solid plan for tapes moving forward, and we are working with multiple factories to ramp up production globally. Just growing pains.

This is great to hear.

I just recently tried some ABU products (Preschools and SDKs) and they were absolutely amazing!

Llayden said:
Just received this e-mail from them. Here it is in case you haven't seen it:

We have had some ongoing complaints since January regarding the quality of the tapes on our 4-tape model products.

In late February, we identified the source of the problem on Medium Simple™, Space®, LittlePawz®, Cushies® and Super Dry Kids™ as using a new version of a standard tape model that was released by 3M in late September. Quality control within 3M and within our team identified no problems, even with tension testing at random intervals during manufacturing. Our customers are the real test, and these ongoing complaints have prompted us to make changes.

With regard to Preschool®, we identified that the tapes used were actually incompatible with the different style of landing zone. We immediately switched to a different style of tape manufactured by another major company that is clear instead of having a white base. After extensive testing, we’re happy to say that the clear tapes used in conjunction with the Preschool® diapers are free of defect and are very secure in real world use.

Due to the above issues, we are going to be doing a sale to clear the defective tape inventory to make way for new inventory that has been manufactured and is in transit to our warehouses. To be clear, we believe we have identified the most prone sections of the batches within our warehouses and have reserved these for this sale.

Thanks for passing on that info. that would explain them having almost no stock currently.

klo555 said:
Downhill? No, That's a little bit extreme. Quite the opposite actually.

We're re-tooling right now for all new tapes across the board, and we need to blow out the old stock (hence the current sale). Manufacturing is behind where it needs to be on a global scale to meet demand, and we're also trying to ramp up. We are literally unable to keep production rates going fast enough to meet demand, and while it's a good problem to have, we get these sorts of complaints where people wonder what's going on.

These are all temporary problems. We now have the two warehouses - so we can take on more stock. We now have a solid plan for tapes moving forward, and we are working with multiple factories to ramp up production globally. Just growing pains.

-Casey, ABU.

Thanks for responding Casey. Perhaps my wording was a bit extreme. I was aware of you guys having some issues with your tapes but was not aware that thats why y'all have been out of stock of a lot of things. Seeing how often you all have been out of stock lately (at least when its time for me to restock) had me questioning what was going on. Again thanks for responding and clearing some things up.

DprEffect said:
Thanks for passing on that info. that would explain them having almost no stock currently.

Thanks for responding Casey. Perhaps my wording was a bit extreme. I was aware of you guys having some issues with your tapes but was not aware that thats why y'all have been out of stock of a lot of things. Seeing how often you all have been out of stock lately (at least when its time for me to restock) had me questioning what was going on. Again thanks for responding and clearing some things up.

You are always welcome to send me a PM on this site, email me personally or call us before speculating that we're going downhill due to things you are questioning... These sorts of rumors can be extrordinarily damaging to businesses. Just my $.02.

-Casey

klo555 said:
These sorts of rumors can be extrordinarily damaging to businesses. Just my $.02.

If you keep everyone updated as soon as you can, threads like this one and "bad image" shouldn't happen. I guess not everyone wants information on everything, but it sure makes a difference on how your business may be seen.

As for myself, I wasn't aware of the production issues on small sizes, other then it being delayed. I wouldn't have minded if I read as simple as an official "why it's being delayed" tweet about it (or maybe I could suggest a more frequent and detailed newsletter for that purpose, that could also be read on the website). I'm just glad they're out now, and btw, good job on those! Looking forward to the littlepawz and simples!

I love ABU and wish you the best for the future!

Last edited:
ABU has been nothing but open about any problem they have had throughout. Communication is not an issue unless we count individual awareness, which shouldn't necessarily be counted because of their great customer service and quick and humble response through social media. Casey has been on reddit and here to discuss problems, obstacles and challenges his company has faced. Because of their openness I absolutely believe that they are working in our (the customer's) best interest.

True, they did have a tape problem this year and inventory is currently preventing some from achieving their dreams of a mega stash. But they are expanding and providing information during their transition. I wouldn't worry too much about them because of their pro-active interaction.

I am not a rep for them but I am an avid customer who was treated fairly and who raised concerns about their product before. They have consistently responded fairly and openly about any questions raised and for that I count myself a loyal customer. I have to admit that I am less concerned about their lack of inventory and more concerned about their product capability--which they have addressed and (presumably) rectified with their current sale and incoming stock.

Tykables is also never in stock. Bambino is also never in stock. This is nothing new.

klo555 said:
You are always welcome to send me a PM on this site, email me personally or call us before speculating that we're going downhill due to things you are questioning... These sorts of rumors can be extrordinarily damaging to businesses. Just my $.02.

-Casey

I don't how what i said would be considered "starting a rumor". If voicing things i've noticed lately (In-Stock issues with mediums) is spreading a rumor in your eyes i will say that was never my intentions. Every time ive gone to order the mediums have been out of stock for what i was going to order. I just stated something i noticed and voiced my frustration like many other people here have done for other diapers and diaper companies. If this is more about the title like i said I did admit to the fact that it was an extreme statement but at the same time was more of a question, not a statement. I will pm you next time i have questions or concerns from here on out.

TeeKay said:
If you keep everyone updated as soon as you can, threads like this one and "bad image" shouldn't happen. I guess not everyone wants information on everything, but it sure makes a difference on how your business may be seen.

As for myself, I wasn't aware of the production issues on small sizes, other then it being delayed. I wouldn't have minded if I read as simple as an official "why it's being delayed" tweet about it (or maybe I could suggest a more frequent and detailed newsletter for that purpose, that could also be read on the website). I'm just glad they're out now, and btw, good job on those! Looking forward to the littlepawz and simples!

I love ABU and wish you the best for the future!

This tread wouldnt even exist if that was the case. I check this site daily. If someone had been posted about the current situation i never would have made this tread, not saying though that its their responsibility to do so it would have just helped clear things up. I dont have them added on social media for the reason of friends and family so if something was posted there i wouldnt have seen it since i rarely check their social media pages. I like the idea though of a occasional newsletter either being posted here or on the ABU site its a good idea.

I'm happy to see that they are a company willing to step up and own up to issues that happen to their products. Most companies would try and sweep a QC issue under the rug, and if it was cheaper to produce a defective product they would keep it. Not the issue with ABUniverse, not only did they own up to issues we've noticed, but they put in the time to discover and pinpoint the real cause. Instead of trying to take advantage of the customer by selling a defective product at full price, they reduced it. They're a small business with a community who can have a large demand, after reading about this, I think I am more inclined to order products from them once I have a proper living situation, than from anyone else, since ABU was willing to step up to the plate when it came to problems. I am wondering though, when we might be able to expect an update on their rumored pull up...

DprEffect said:
I don't how what i said would be considered "starting a rumor". If voicing things i've noticed lately (In-Stock issues with mediums) is spreading a rumor in your eyes i will say that was never my intentions. Every time ive gone to order the mediums have been out of stock for what i was going to order. I just stated something i noticed and voiced my frustration like many other people here have done for other diapers and diaper companies. If this is more about the title like i said I did admit to the fact that it was an extreme statement but at the same time was more of a question, not a statement. I will pm you next time i have questions or concerns from here on out.

This tread wouldnt even exist if that was the case. I check this site daily. If someone had been posted about the current situation i never would have made this tread, not saying though that its their responsibility to do so it would have just helped clear things up. I dont have them added on social media for the reason of friends and family so if something was posted there i wouldnt have seen it since i rarely check their social media pages. I like the idea though of a occasional newsletter either being posted here or on the ABU site its a good idea.

Just so we're on the same page, I'm not upset, frustrated (except by ABU's own problems), or anything by this thread. Open conversation is great, and my organization needs to be questioned and held accountable - this helps us get better.

My objective is to be as transparent as possible - however, there is a reality that I (and my team) can't be in all places at once. The rumor I was speaking to was really the title of the thread. I've definitely been talking about these items on some very large groups on Telegram, Reddit, Twitter, our support system, etc.. We waited until we were 100% sure we had all of the facts in place, and a plan in place before we made the announcement that we were going to be discounting the defective stock and basically turning over ALL inventory (which is quite the challenge to catch ALL the old versions).

We're learning. None of these dialogs go to waste. My only request is that if someone who cares about the success of our organization, in the future, can take the time to reach out to me personally before speculating if we're going downhill. I'll give you the full rundown and then maybe realize that I should go make a post in XYZ forum and give a bit more detail.

Anyways, we're not going anywhere. ABU is the career of many individuals that have sold their souls to me. ;)

klo555 said:
Anyways, we're not going anywhere. ABU is the career of many individuals that have sold their souls to me. ;)

It may be evil, but I'm happy to hear this! ^_^

DLChad34 said:
I have noticed that on some the product I order from Abu lately the tapes aren't sticking to the tape landing zones. Even had tapes separate from the diapers so yeah I think that it's bad

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yup! I've ordered two cases and both had the tape issues. I won't order from them again unless they fix it. The best ones out there are dry 24/7, they stand behind their product. I know from personal experience. Have been buying the for a few years now. My other go to is the Northshore supreme! Those are top notch too. I wish their tapes were a little wider but I've had no issues.

Abu is in the process of fixing the issue of weak tapes and such I'm still going to order from them because they have better products . It's just part of the process of growing as a company for such a niche market

Beloney said:
Yup! I've ordered two cases and both had the tape issues. I won't order from them again unless they fix it. The best ones out there are dry 24/7, they stand behind their product. I know from personal experience. Have been buying the for a few years now. My other go to is the Northshore supreme! Those are top notch too. I wish their tapes were a little wider but I've had no issues.
Abu us in the process of fixing the problem or problems with there products weak tapes and such [emoji2] . I will still order from them because they have the better products for such a niche market. They are growing and it's all part of the process.

They are having that massive Tape the Tape sale to rid of old tapes so hats good they are using new supplier and reading our concerns.

They're working on the problem. I will continue to order from them because their diapers are the best in my opinion and I have had good experiences with customer service. I don't think they're going down hill. I think they're doing their very best to get things back to normal ASAP.

Even Dry 24/7 had a batch or two that had issues with tapes, what works great in a controlled. test lab may not work well when customers use the diapers on a daily basis. AB Universe has recognized the issue and has openly informed its customer base there is an issue and is actively working on a solution

the header of the thread should be changed adding (Problem found being fixed) or something similar as some users may not read the thread just the head line and that will stay in their mind if any one recommends they try a AB universe diaper.

AB universe is standing behind their product and whats to keep the quality of the product in place

We can't reasonably expect a very high amount of quality control in such an inexpensive, disposable product. It's not like a TV or a car. Yes, QC issues are annoying, but when you consider the QC investment per piece there's quite a difference. That $300 TV maybe got $4 of QC. (most of which went to pay off the units that failed final testing at the end of the line and were sent to a remanufacturer for repair or were recycled) But on a $2 product, you're paying for maybe 3 cents of QC, and you get what you pay for.

ABU is not going downhill, they just hit a small bump in the road. I was happy to see the sale and have not had a tape issue with my most recent batch of medium simples. I did have tape issues with my previous order, but was glad to see how quickly they responded to it. We need to support these people that are working hard to give us good products. ABU is still my go to diaper.

I just order a case of Space Diapers in the tape the tape sale and bought a roll printed duct tape...no worries, I am looking forward to receiving my order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back