Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "There aren't gays in africa"

Default "There aren't gays in africa"

This is kind of a click bait title (unintentionally) (insert country where homosexuality is illegal) but I over heard a conversation yesterday that really made me want to face palm.

What this person said kind of blew my mind, not as in wow that's world changing, I mean wow, are you stupid?? Anyways.

The person was going on about, "If Australia stood up and made transgender and gay illegal" (not even bothering to understand the differences) that they will change and straighten up like they do in Africa and Muslim countries, eh wtf (than obviously going on about how it's a lifestyle choice (all the usual homophobic / trans-phobic crap that people spew) than get this right, said ah lesbians are cool, but not gays... cause they had something happen when they were younger... what??

Not only doesn't that work, if a country is giving out a death peantly for something as silly as your sexuality obviously you're going to be scared to death and hiding for your life, obviously your not going to see people being publicly gay or expressing that at all.

Sorry but I don't understand how people can even think like that logically, if you make something like sexuality illegal, it doesn't go away, I know a lot of people won't agree with me, but laws do not change nature, and people seem to fucking not understand that simple aspect. Laws like this are as stupid as making it illegal for sunsets to occur.

When it comes to gay rights some countries are worse than others, but the major problem with first world countries are people trying to push us a step backwards and than destroying everything people have stood up for.

I don't get it, countries like Australia and the United States are known for "massive developments in technology" (such as health care, radio, wifi etc) yet we have people wanting to literally take us back to a time where gays will be killed, jailed etc.

I don't really care when people sprout nonsense like this, but when people in power do it, personally it grinds my gears, because misinformation is very dangerous" I don't care too much about politics, but I hate it when idiots take us two steps backwards.

I think the place we need to be is that even if it was simply a lifestyle choice, no one would care. If it got so popular that maintaining the population was a problem, then it would be the time to address it as a society (with incentives) but I don't see that as a problem. Most people are heterosexual enough that you couldn't entice them into it. I believe the reverse is also true.

Ironically, there is an article in today's Washington Post about an 85 year old medical director of John Hopkins Medical Center who stopped sex assignment surgery back in the 1970s. John Hopkins MC has changed their position and now will perform the surgery because of DNA evidence that can influence how one identifies their gender or sexual (male/female) preference. The evidence has been around for years but it was today the JHMC made the decision to reverse their policy, stating that having feelings related to sexual identity or sexual preference is not a mental illness nor a psychological causality, but a biological one.

You should have asked your friend for proof to support his opinion. There's plenty of evidence to support your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Ironically, there is an article in today's Washington Post about an 85 year old medical director of John Hopkins Medical Center who stopped sex assignment surgery back in the 1970s. John Hopkins MC has changed their position and now will perform the surgery because of DNA evidence that can influence how one identifies their gender or sexual (male/female) preference. The evidence has been around for years but it was today the JHMC made the decision to reverse their policy, stating that having feelings related to sexual identity or sexual preference is not a mental illness nor a psychological causality, but a biological one.

You should have asked your friend for proof to support his opinion. There's plenty of evidence to support your opinion.
    Any proof they would of provided would be "flawed" logically, if they say nonsense like, if you make being gay illegal like they do in africa and that it works, they need there head checked. :P at that point you know the person is going to be bias and will provide some alex jones article to prove what they say.

Lets say my physics teacher (in year 11) made fun of him.

Quite true. It's a jerk statement to make in the first place. It's sad that there are still many people who are bigoted and ill informed about almost everything.

Default Into the light, a shadow must be cast...

People, afraid of their own shadow... may tend to kill the person next to them, for it... This shadow, is logical yet, not particularly, addressable...

It, is not us, that they fear, it is not us, that they seek compensation from... It is, their shadow and yet, we are, from that, the tangible ones, to be attacked...

The irony is - if they, would only turn-around; they would be facing the warmth and brightness, of the light... their shadows, would be of no further trouble... We, would be no further, a target...

Pity, those that fear their shadows... not, those of us, who face the light...

Step back - far enough behind them, that their shadow, is not cast upon us...

Be well, be strong,
    -Marka

You should take this idiot someplace to get stoned, and I am not talking about cannabis , we should have locking aramid diapers to keep these fools out of the gene pools!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

This person is not only horrible, but also just wrong. There are absolutely LGBT folks in Africa and the Middle East. They're all just closeted due to the backwards homophobic laws put in place by religious fundamentalists. And despite what this person wants, neither Australia or the United States is going to be like any of those African/Middle Eastern countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsmax View Post
    This person is not only horrible, but also just wrong. There are absolutely LGBT folks in Africa and the Middle East. They're all just closeted due to the backwards homophobic laws put in place by religious fundamentalists. And despite what this person wants, neither Australia or the United States is going to be like any of those African/Middle Eastern countries.
    That's the problem with there thinking, they think like this.

A. I think being gay is a choice.
    B. I Don't see anyone being gay in middle eastern countries.
    C. IF B is true, than A is true.

Obviously in reality, you don't see homosexuals / lesbians in those countries obviously due to them being closeted, not because "they can't choose" or that being gay is a "western invention".... etc..

I'm pretty sure the explanation for there thinking is "confirmation bias", if someone believes in God and sees something odd happen, they say god did it, etc. (without looking at all the possible options) I think a lot of humans have the flaw. our brains are used to seeing patterns I guess.

If someone thinks the world is flat, or that 9/11 was done by the government, obviously there going to look at crap like Alex Jones, and than that's going to confirm there distorted world view, I think the same kind of thing is happening in this case.

Schools don't really teach people how to think, which sucks, half the people I've met at my school couldn't even tell fact from fiction, literally.

Or they cherry pick information or ignore factual faults in such information, etc.

I'm not trying to interject a political note or hijack the thread, but Dan Rather noted some weeks ago that Trump triumphed precisely because of what Binary wrote: Voters were unable to distinguish fact from fiction. I imagine there were more than a few Hillary Clinton supporters who fell victim to the same challenge and voted for Trump or a third-party candidate.

'Confirmation bias' is just a polite way of saying that someone has denied the existence of alternative explanations. Close-mindedness is what it is; with the wide availability of divergent opinions today, people who are blinded by the fear of what they might see can find 'confirmation bias' for almost any point of view.