Status
Not open for further replies.

ollienappied

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hi Everyone

Really hope you can advise as i have a couple holiday related questions about my incontinence issues for a upcoming holiday to Orlando in International Drive florida.
Im suffer with double incontinence and wear nappies 24/7 using the most absorbant possible (currently tena slip active maxi Large)
Normally never a problem as i have only ever been away short haul to eurpoe (im from the uk) and can just cope with taking a couple of packets of 22.
This is my first time coming to the states and longest time* on holiday ever (2 weeks) so my question is rather than taking about 4-5 packets away with me is there anywhere in that area or away at all getting nappies/diapers out there? Somthing with maximum absorption also needs to be pe backed not cloth, im not bothered about thickness or noise just relability!
My other question is about disposal in the hotel, when i have bee to spain i have been able to leave them in a taped bin liner in the bathroom of the hotel room and they have always been taken by housekeeping.
Do i need to inform the hotel (as slighly embarrassed) would they provided a bin? Or* should i just do as i have done before?
Finaly (sorry to be a pain) if out in restaurants and bars will i be able to safely change in the toilets/restrooms?

Sorry if the questions sound daft but want to be prepared.

Many Thanks
Ollie

You should try ordering one to the hotel you're staying at, I haven't tried this but it's been suggested before when I had a similar post. Maybe look into that option.

What I have done at a hotel is let them know to empty the bin everyday, that's it, no need to mention anything. If you're​ a bedwetting you might want to take your own plastic mattress cover, at least that's what I have done.

Depends on the restaurant, but for the most part I've found most of their toilets are not really that easy to change in, but it's manageable.

I have a question though, do international flights have handicap bathrooms? I've heard of those but just want to know... For the most part I've only been on interstate flights and end up unable to change immediately because there bathrooms are so small.... It's not really a pleasent experience >.<

there are medical supply stores in that area as it has an older populations they do generally stock diapers.

Thanks for geting back to me, I was thinking about ordering some to be delivered to the hotel but is that allowed? Would i need the room number im staying in or just my name with the hotels address. Not sure yet what to do on the plane as the longest flight ive been on before was about 3 hour's and just about managed, got to say didnt think of that. At night usually uses plastic pants over and touch wood never have let me down yet!

Im staying kind of near idrive so not sure if you can recommend anywhere nearby or a short taxi drive away, can you recommend and good nappy/diaper that is very absorbant (maybe having a few drinks out!) thats plastic/pe i aways get a rash with cloth like material.

Mia in the recently revised air carriers act renewal , several things added were more disabled accesible toilets on planes and in cabin wheelchair securement , so there will be more friendly toilets coming.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

If not getting them delivered to the hotel is possible, you can address the delivery to a nearby UPS Store or FedEx Office. The products available in 99% of stores are terrible. Bringing large amounts of anything on board a plane is really expensive. I'd suggest to find a website in the USA to purchase from and plan it to be there when you get there. As for what kind of products you need, you can visit XPMedical.com, Amazon carries plenty of different brands. If you want to try ABDL diapers available in the states, go for that if you wish.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

rennecfox said:
there are medical supply stores in that area as it has an older populations they do generally stock diapers.

I think I recall someone posting a while back as well about a store in the Orlando area that sold higher quality diapers such as Abena, ComfiDry, etcetera as well. Anyone remember that, or may I be confusing it with another Florida city?

I've ordered to be delivered to my hotel in the states many times. Never a problem. Just email the hotel in advance to confirm and let the supplier know when you arrive. I have used LLMedico - great service but as you would expect there are many suppliers. Be aware that the Tena slips in the US are not the same (and I believe not as good) as in the U.K. I have used Confi Dry24/7 - good but not subtle. There are plenty of alternatives out there. US toilets are not great but you will make do. Have a great time T3ddy

I am in a similar situation and will be spending three weeks in Colorado the first time since I became dependant on nappies 24/7

Thanks everyone for your messages, i may somehow ask the hotel about having them sent there otherwise if you have them sent to a local ups or FedEx store how easy is that would i need to contact the store prior to ordering them? Is there any top brands you would personaly recommend?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi again what are the confi dry 24/7 like, would you recommend them? Are they reliable/comfy, Do they hold quite a bit?

Some of our US contributors are probably best to take you through the options but from personal experience I think that Confidry 24/7 are quite up to the job both for daytime and night time use. Mia should be able to help you on their suitability for those managing double incontinence but they do have quite high leg guards that should make them suitable.

I'm a big fan of Tena in the U.K. (Ultima cloth backed for evening lounging and night time away from home and Active Maxi for daytime wear) but I just don't think they produce them to the same quality in the US. Noting that you are AB there are other more playful options out there ABU etc ... but I have not tried them. T3ddy

Hi again, I love the tena and most the time are great for the double inco (althought think they have got thinner) the main brands are heard in the us are confi dry 24/7, attends, tena (but not heard great reports compared to the uk version) depends and i think one called atn (maybe wrong) i do like some of the abs ones at home but i think while away i really want the pattern seen. (Also they can cost a fortune for the the amount you get, even thought they are great!)

Hey there Ollie!

Before I even go and say anything about your IC, I want to make one thing clear.

Welcome to the United States!!!!

Yes, this country has it's problems. Yes, we have crazy people that live here. Heck, we have crazy people that run the country and have for many years. We're not perfect. But I hope if you have any preconceived notions about coming here, you'll put them aside. Because there are so many of us that love our country, and love it even more when people from around the world come, visit us, and find out that we are a warm, friendly and nutty bunch. Not just what you see on the telly and in the tabloid rags.

Now then onto your question. First - the flight. I'm guessing you're coming over via BA, Virgin or Thomas Cook as they fly direct from UK to Orlando. If you're on BA or Virgin, you should be in fine shape. Both of them fly the big, widebody planes. BA's 777's have a forward restroom between the aisles that has a moveable partition, turning it into a double size restroom. However, even the single restrooms in the center of the plane are spacious by airplane standards and you should be OK to change. Virgin's 747s have the same between premium economy and economy if I remember correctly. If you're flying Thomas Cook, well you're going to have a problem. Their 757's have small restrooms that will make life very tough. Prepare accordingly.

When you get here. Order some nappies and have them shipped to your hotel. As long as you have a confirmed reservation I highly doubt that your hotel will not accommodate, for the simple reason that most will fear an enterprising lawyer's wrath on filing a lawsuit for violating the Americans with Disabilities Act. If they do and give you some long winded explanation, there are companies in Orlando that deliver medical supplies to hotels(!) due to the tremendous number of visitors Orlando sees each year.

While you're here: If you're headed to the theme parks (Disney, Universal), let them know in advance. They deal with medical/disability issues every day and will go to great lengths to assist you in having a pleasant trip.

Hope some of this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and as far as our brands - I really, really like Confidry 24/7. They are available from a lot of places, fit is good, and they are well suited to heavy inco (both #1 and #2). I think you'll be very happy with them.

Hi ProudPaddedBro

Thank you for the Welcome! Still a little time to go but Mega excited! And just want to prepare early.
Not sure if its bad but flying with Thomas Cook, although theres a rumour there replacing some of their old feet in summer which may be good. Thinking of getting them delivered to the hotel now may take one packet out with me and and order the rest day one with the intenition of asking the hotel if i can get a large package delivered (do you think they would accept that?) Defiantly will be going to Universal and was also looking at Kennedy space centre. May see if i can get a sample of 24/7 prior to going, can you recommend best places to order from.
Many thanks Ollie

Orlando huh. Disney world? I've been there diapered a number of times. Bring you're diapers with you in a backpack. The park security will search all bags, but they do not care about diapers.

As for getting your diapers there, you have options!

1. Take them with you on the flight. As long as you pack a separate bag with only medical supplies, you can check them for free.

2. Order them online and have them delivered to your hotel. Yes, they will hold a delivery box for you as long as you let them know before hand. Some hotels "might" charge a very small fee for a half or full case, but most every time this will still be worth saving on the hassle transporting them.

I highly recommend Confidry 24/7. They tend to run a little larger than most other diapers, so take this into account if/when you order them. They are a bit thicker than most other diapers too though, but their performance and longevity make up for it. Another good brand to consider is Northshore Supreme. The start off thin but stiff, though swell up almost as much as, and perform just as good as, a confidry will.

3. Do some online research before you leave, and find a medical supply store near your hotel. Florida has a lot of older people so medical store are usually no more than a few miles away. Most will carry half-decent, plastic backed, diapers that are maybe on par with the Molicare, Abena L3, or Tena. Stay away from anything cloth backed in a US store. The are nowhere near as good as UK/EU brands. Oh, and stay away from adult diapers sold in food stores or pharmacies, they are even worse.

ollienappied said:
Hi ProudPaddedBro

Thank you for the Welcome! Still a little time to go but Mega excited! And just want to prepare early.
Not sure if its bad but flying with Thomas Cook, although theres a rumour there replacing some of their old feet in summer which may be good. Thinking of getting them delivered to the hotel now may take one packet out with me and and order the rest day one with the intenition of asking the hotel if i can get a large package delivered (do you think they would accept that?) Defiantly will be going to Universal and was also looking at Kennedy space centre. May see if i can get a sample of 24/7 prior to going, can you recommend best places to order from.
Many thanks Ollie

Like I said, to my knowledge their entire fleet is still 757's, which have very cramped restrooms. Plan accordingly.

I also think you'll be just fine with having them shipped to the hotel. Call, let them know you're from UK and need a package delivered there, and at worst them may charge you $20 or $30 USD to store.

Kennedy is a terrific outing. It's a US Government facility so it will absolutely have accessible bathrooms. Plan on taking some supplies with you as there is a lot of walking to be done there, as well as needing to stay hydrated in the hot Florida sun. If you've never experienced humid heat before, be aware that you will be drinking LOTS to stay hydrated.

I order my 24/7's from Northshore in the US. I think ABDL factory is your best bet in Europe. Would absolutely recommend you try them back home so it's a non-issue stateside.

Email the hotel and let them know you're having a package delivered, and to please hold it for your arrival. You might incur a small charge "for storage," but I doubt it. You might also want to tell the front desk that your room will not require changing every day, unless you don't mind housekeeping seeing plastic pants drying in the bathroom. And, unless you bring your own, they'll bee more than happy to put a plastic sheet on the bed - just in case ... .

Thanks for all the really helpfull advise, I Defantly think i will email the hotel prior to going, do you think it worth asking for a large bin in the room for the used nappys or just put them in a large bin liner, will house keeping take them?

I also say Welcome to the United States of America.
You will never catch me on a twin engine plane going overseas PERIOD ! 3-4 engines are a MUST! And Avoid the A-380. DC-10/MD-11 or 747 or A-340 for me.
If you get a high capacity diaper such as the Dry -24-7 or X-Plus L-4 you should not need a change until your destination Those suckers will hold about a gallon so you should have not a worry. If you change in the Airport like I do your good till you arrive in the USA. I use the diaper changing family room at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport end of Pier F under the Hotel Mecure fresh one for Westbound and dumping a realllyy soaked one on the eastbound flight. Once arrival in the USA happens find the nearest restroom and perform your change at that point. Then you will be ready for Customs and immigration inspections and baggage claim if you checked bags.
Once you arrive at Hotel check in get your pre ordered boxes of Diapers and schlepp them up to your room drop everything in the bathroom first do a bed bug inspection of your room check seams of mattress and lift mattress check the box spring too the headboard and any chairs or fabric luggage racks. once room is satisfactory take care of organizing your room to your liking after that get the shuttle to take you to nearest grocery store and gather your supplies you need for the stay like soda, snacks, whatnot -- HINT this is the time to ask for extra plastic shopping bags to use as diaper disposal bags. I usually grab a decent amount if you do not use them once you check out take them home or leave at front desk they can use them without a doubt. If they wont take you to store ask for about 20 plastic laundry bags they are a second option too. Each AM take your days used diapers place them in that shopping bag you got earlier and seek out the nearest trash can outside of your room usually at elevator or in the parking lot. This way the housekeepers do not have to deal with your trash. enjoy your vacation and do not forget to check in with your countries embassy while here so they can account for your whereabouts in case you need them . Also remember the date on your return ticket and do not forget to pay the lady liberty on your way out.

Also when you are flying home if you want to take some diapers home with you ! Because of the Americans with Disabilities Act load a bag up with the diapers you want to take home , don't put anything but medical supplies and check the bag the airline will not charge you for it if you declare it's a medical bag.

Enjoy your trip and welcome to the US we are a lot nicer than our president makes us appear .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back