Not open for further replies.

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
driver gets out of his wrecked car at 2l45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIk_SrIQxns

Definitely padded.

Hadn't considered that before, but some of those drivers are out on the track for 3+ hours with their car getting occasional pitstops but not the drivers!

I've always heard they just wet their fire suit

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

bigbluehusky said:
I've always heard they just wet their fire suit

Yep. This was in the USA Today just a few weeks ago.
USA Today article on NASCAR and the awkward question

I would imagine that they probably don't wear diapers due to the heat. Considering the interior of most of these cars is well above 100 degrees, wearing one would be dang uncomfortable.

Last edited:
If anything they might wear a pullup or cloth backed diaper. In that heat no plastic backed diapers.

Its a know fact that nascar drivers ware.

May or may not be padded. Lots of racing suits have fire-resistant padding which that very well could be causing the illusion. But being on track combined with drinking lots of water to stay hydrated during that time (I know at least F1 have water drink systems in the cars, not sure about NASCAR though) it would make sense that some would have a little absorbency.

ProudPaddedBro said:
Yep. This was in the USA Today just a few weeks ago.
http://http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/02/nascar-drivers-bathroom-dale-earnhardt-jr-joey-logano-brad-keselowski-daytona-500-daytona-international-speedway

I would imagine that they probably don't wear diapers due to the heat. Considering the interior of most of these cars is well above 100 degrees, wearing one would be dang uncomfortable.

It is at first but you get used to it. Not so much just the diaper, but the heat in general. I live in Florida, and used to work long days in the summer heat. It took me about a year, but eventually my body didn't react to the heat with gallons of sweat. And subsequently my diaper wasn't uncomfortable either.

It is true though, most racecar drivers do not use diapers, opting instead to sit in a dank and wet suit or even dehydrate themselves. Bladder retention is also a problem for a lot of them too.

While all the conversation about why a driver wouldn't be wearing makes total sense -- damn if his rear end doesn't look very much padded. I guess I could be some sort of suit underneath or whatever. But that is also exactly what my butt looks like with a diaper on it it as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a few race car drivers a bit, including a couple in Nascar, and basically the extreme heat of the car causes them to basically sweat so much that it is not an issue unless the driver is ill. Urine is very rarely an issue for that reason and additionally in many levels they do not have the ability to drink water during the race. Under caution in Nascar if the car is serviced they may give the driver some ice to cool down, but due to the closed face helmet and the cooling system and other considerations, it is not very practical to drink anything. The drivers fire suit includes a thick fireproof material additionally they wear special underwear (top and bottom) that is also fireproof. Also NASCAR drivers and those in other major racing series have trainers and dietitians that are in charge of making sure the driver eats and drinks appropriately and consideration is taken to ensure they do not need to visit the restroom during an event. They would not be able to wear diapers also because it would pose a fire safety hazard, also the polymers that are present in "SAP" would be ineffective due to the excessive heat (the heat inside a stockcar on a hot day can get up to 160 F), the polymers do not work properly over a certain temperature. So in short, wearing one would be pointless. In open wheel racing though where it does not get as hot it may be possible, but in NASCAR and other stockcars and similar cars it is not feasible. I don't know any drivers that do not drive stockcars though so I can't speak about that really.

no definite there, the suits they were can give that illusion because of insulation.

INCONTAL said:
Its a know fact that nascar drivers ware.

Actually, they don't really need to worry about having to go during races because the temperatures in their cars are usually high enough that their bodies consequently expel liquids through sweat. But some drivers have admitted to simply wetting their firesuits if the need arises.

handsomestallion said:
But some drivers have admitted to simply wetting their firesuits if the need arises.
Which ones are those? I'd like to know, I can ask them myself either directly or indirectly depending on who they are...
But as far as I know, the only occasion I know of is the one time Tony Stewart had to change his firesuit after he won a race at Sears Point. I am not saying they wouldn't go, but it is very unlikely anyone would have to go during a race unless they were sick or something, and if they are sick enough they usually have a relief driver get in the car after the 1st pit stop.

Hate to dissapojnt you. Race car drivers do not wear. Its true that the car is well over 100 degrees. They sweat out so much they loose 5 to 10 pounds per race. I worked in NASCAR for a few years.

Neither do fighter pilots. They have relief tubes. If they have a number 2 accident they just toss out the flightsuit and hit the shower. I have flown many non bathroom planes

After Montoya hit the jet dryer at Daytona and caused a huge fire they stopped all the drivers on the backstretch because there was no way around. They had many of the drivers on camera lining up at a set of porta-potties in the infield. Doubt they would do that if they were wearing a diaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okmis said:
Which ones are those? I'd like to know, I can ask them myself either directly or indirectly depending on who they are...
But as far as I know, the only occasion I know of is the one time Tony Stewart had to change his firesuit after he won a race at Sears Point. I am not saying they wouldn't go, but it is very unlikely anyone would have to go during a race unless they were sick or something, and if they are sick enough they usually have a relief driver get in the car after the 1st pit stop.

That USA Today article I linked to earlier - Dale Earnhardt Jr. went on record saying he wets his firesuit once or twice a season.

ChrisKrinkle said:
Hate to dissapojnt you. Race car drivers do not wear. Its true that the car is well over 100 degrees. They sweat out so much they loose 5 to 10 pounds per race. I worked in NASCAR for a few years.

Neither do fighter pilots. They have relief tubes. If they have a number 2 accident they just toss out the flightsuit and hit the shower. I have flown many non bathroom planes

Not fighter pilots, but bomber pilots and many other long-range pilots do wear a diaper quite more often than you'd think.

ProudPaddedBro said:
That USA Today article I linked to earlier - Dale Earnhardt Jr. went on record saying he wets his firesuit once or twice a season.
...At any rate I direct messaged some Nascar drivers that follow me on Twitter and on the condition of anonymity they told me the only time there ever is an issue is when races have long rain delays or something like that and even then, they usually loose 10+ pounds a race due to perspiration. Of the 7 drivers that responded, 5 never had an issue, 1 said it happend once every 5 years or so and 1 said they had it happen once. So it seems to be something that happens very rarely, but in most cases it is not ever an issue apparently.

Last edited:
Slomo said:
Not fighter pilots, but bomber pilots and many other long-range pilots do wear a diaper quite more often than you'd think.
A relative of mine was a bomber pilot and no one in his group ever did according to him. What era did the guys fly that you knew, maybe they flew in a different era?

Found this in the article that was linked
while the frequency of having to use the bathroom during a race varies from driver to driver, for most, it’s more like once or twice a career.
So this supports the info I got, which was it pretty much is a non-issue.
Anyways never mind about the link.

okmis said:
A relative of mine was a bomber pilot and no one in his group ever did according to him. What era did the guys fly that you knew, maybe they flew in a different era?

It was about 20 years ago. I was working the flight deck equipment and saw P3 (sub hunter) pilots retuning a few times with obviosly swelled diapers.

Also managed to walk through their locker room once and saw a package of depends left out for the pilots. (Keep in mind 20 years ago depends didn't suck). I asked one guy about it and he said they sometimes have to use them for the long haul flights, and that bomber pilots had it worse.

Curious thoug, what does your relative say he did when needing to pee? I have heard they often peed in bottle. Maybe that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back