Status
Not open for further replies.

ABdei

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Anyone have a place or a spreadsheet somewhere that lists an estimated price per diaper. Insurance is trying to help me find the most premium absorbent.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

XP Medical has it for the various brands they sell, look under the diaper reviews.

The true cost of an IC product is in the frequency of changes. Everyone's needs are different because everyone voids at different frequency and volume. Also, time that can be spent in a super absorbent product is greatly dependent on the users environment, activity level, skin durability, and so on. It is hard to nail down the actual cost per diaper with all those variables.

I used to use only cheap products, such as the original Depend and equivalent brands. Those products were only good for about one void and, depending on my fluid intake, I could use upwards of 7-8 during the day alone. I would go through 2 at night if I could wakeup after my first void, otherwise wet sheets. A Super Premium (ABU Simple) can last me an entire day. It might even be able to last from overnight and throughout the next day. But that is an exceptionally long time to remain in a product. A Regular Premium (NorthShore Supreme) can get me through a day with three changes, one in the morning, one in the evening, and one before bed.

Each one of these products has a window of use that maximizes their efficiency and cost per product. If I know that I am going to be on the move a lot, and that changing when wet is more important that maximum absorbency it wouldn't make sense to use a Super or even Regular Premium. The cheapies become more cost effective. If it will be a normal day I will stick with regular premiums as they can give me excellent absorbency and minimze changes. They can be used to the full potential. If it will be a lazy day with no responsibilities or activities planned outside the home I will opt for a Super Premium at bed time and probably won't have to change until the next evening. I'll change and take a shower before dinner time and use a cheapie before using a premium for bed.

The short answer is "No". Most likely not. Everybody has different factors and needs that can wildly throw off the equations. However, the best possible solution is to have at least a couple of products of different capacity to adapt to different needs from day to day. If you know that you would have a need for a Regular or Super Premium from time to time try and get them approved due to the higher initial cost.

Llayden said:
The true cost of an IC product is in the frequency of changes. Everyone's needs are different because everyone voids at different frequency and volume. Also, time that can be spent in a super absorbent product is greatly dependent on the users environment, activity level, skin durability, and so on. It is hard to nail down the actual cost per diaper with all those variables.

I used to use only cheap products, such as the original Depend and equivalent brands. Those products were only good for about one void and, depending on my fluid intake, I could use upwards of 7-8 during the day alone. I would go through 2 at night if I could wakeup after my first void, otherwise wet sheets. A Super Premium (ABU Simple) can last me an entire day. It might even be able to last from overnight and throughout the next day. But that is an exceptionally long time to remain in a product. A Regular Premium (NorthShore Supreme) can get me through a day with three changes, one in the morning, one in the evening, and one before bed.

Each one of these products has a window of use that maximizes their efficiency and cost per product. If I know that I am going to be on the move a lot, and that changing when wet is more important that maximum absorbency it wouldn't make sense to use a Super or even Regular Premium. The cheapies become more cost effective. If it will be a normal day I will stick with regular premiums as they can give me excellent absorbency and minimze changes. They can be used to the full potential. If it will be a lazy day with no responsibilities or activities planned outside the home I will opt for a Super Premium at bed time and probably won't have to change until the next evening. I'll change and take a shower before dinner time and use a cheapie before using a premium for bed.

The short answer is "No". Most likely not. Everybody has different factors and needs that can wildly throw off the equations. However, the best possible solution is to have at least a couple of products of different capacity to adapt to different needs from day to day. If you know that you would have a need for a Regular or Super Premium from time to time try and get them approved due to the higher initial cost.
What I meant was price per diaper listing average. Example. Say there is 60 diapers in a case and the case costs 72 dollars.
72÷60=1.20. Price per diaper is $1.20. This way I can calculate my daily expense. I normally wear 4 tranquility atn per Day so 4×1.20. 4.80 a day/144 a month.

I was just wondering if someone had an average ppd alrwady typed out like xp medical does...Guess I'll just do the research and make a spreadsheet.

SEE! This is the point we are trying to make. Take confidry for example. They cost $1.63 each. Expensive right- not! Now if you can get by with just 4 ATN per day (which you're badly dehydrated by the way), then you can easily get by with just 2 confidry per day at that same level of hydration. At a total cost of $3.27. Stop wasting your money. Stop looking at just the cost per diaper. You need to look at the cost per day, or you're just throwing your money away with each extra change.

I said 4 as an example

ABdei said:
I said 4 as an example

Yeah, I got that. And a Confidry can very easily hold twice that of an ATN. Actually quite a lot more, but I was being conservative- as an example. Regardless, you still sound dehydrated though.

What insurance is actually doing is letting you find the cheapest diaper you will accept ,rarely does a single diaper work for a person's needs through the entire day in an average week, however I have never seen insurance pay for more than 1 brand at a time ,choose the highest absorbency they will pay for ,but also remember the fit of the product needs to be looked at as well, if the cut of a chosen product doesn't work for you that's simple , you don't use it , but don't just price shop , wear each brand and see what gives you best fit and protection, a diaper you don't trust , is a diaper that causes you to lead your life differently and that's a cost that can't be measured.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

A vendor I found is actually adjusting the price for the insurance. I am allowed 200 diapers a month. But if I can find a better premium absorbent and get away with 150 of those, they can write off the 150 as 200. Leaving room for better quality.

Yeah it does, but it also makes you an accomplice to insurance fraud , and Lord knows thieves hate competition , so the insurance company will come after you if they ever get wind of it .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Llayden said:

Well said and very well written.

Couple of minor points. I wouldn't say 'true cost' per se when it comes to frequency, but without factoring it in any attempt to calculate a cost is incomplete. I think what you were trying to state is that only after you factor in the time component do you get an actual, usable budget. So maybe ABdei your question should be (or answer to your insurance company should be) cost per day versus cost per diaper.

While I agree with Llayden that a perfect calculation is impossible, I think if we collectively put our heads together we might be able to produce something. At the very least, if it helps our full time IC bretheren receive better care, I'm for it.

Sidebar - My job is intimately tied into dealing with insurance carriers. At the end of the day, what they want is not necessarily the cheapest option, but most cost effective. As many people don't bother to justify why a decision is made, that's where problems begin. Building a spreadsheet like this with good, hard data could make a huge difference. Like Llayden pointed out, wearing ABU Simples when Walgreens brand will do is a waste. I also wonder to Tetra's point - if you could justify two brands and show with proof why it would be cheaper, I bet they would go for it.

Llayden said:

Very accurate description of what dealing with this is like. Depending on who you talk to, the way you deal with this will change. A urologist would likely refuse to let you wear a diaper until they've gone through every possible way of fixing things. A dermatologist will swear you need to change after every wetting. Some will swear you aren't drinking enough water through the day because you don't need to change that often. The truth through all of it is you do what works best for you.

I wear very high capacity diapers myself. I wear one for daytime, and one at night. I don't need​more than that, and my skin never has an issue. I'm not dehydrated, I'm not leaking, and people rarely know I have a diaper on. I spend between $1.80 and $2.00 per diaper, but I only need two per day as opposed to the cheaper diapers (at $1.20 per diaper I was going through five to six a day and having leaks at night).

What will work for me won't work for a different person.

Slomo said:
SEE! This is the point we are trying to make. Take confidry for example. They cost $1.63 each. Expensive right- not! Now if you can get by with just 4 ATN per day (which you're badly dehydrated by the way), then you can easily get by with just 2 confidry per day at that same level of hydration. At a total cost of $3.27. Stop wasting your money. Stop looking at just the cost per diaper. You need to look at the cost per day, or you're just throwing your money away with each extra change.

Problem is he is dealing with insurance, and having personally worked with insurance they can be pretty dumb sometimes regarding stuff like this, especially with diapers. They have a mindset of "A bird is a bird is a bird" and think that all "birds" can get the job of flying done. But as we know, a hawk flies better than a turkey. Insurance just goes "Well the turkey is cheaper so that's the best deal".

In their policies and what not it is just generally "diapers" and no special categorization beyond that, so policy wise they think that any diaper will get the job done, thus the cheapest per unit will save the most money. Their policies generally don't even consider that certain types will go through more units in a day than others.

With a lot of the insurance you can argue the point of "Less daily changes means less monthly cost" till the cows come home, but they are restricted by their shortsighted policies that you have to go with the cheapest per unit or stay under a per unit pricing range.

---

For example the other day someone posted about a store that carried Rearz in New York in the ABDL section. I ended up inquiring with them, they said that the only diaper that they could dispense under insurance were some lightweight Tena pull-ups meant for stress incontinence. Didn't matter that I have urge fecal incontinence. According to my insurance a cloth backed minimal absorption pull-up without leak guards will handle a full diarrhea bowel movement. Yeah... when pigs fly perhaps.

You guys are right, insurance companies are incredibly short sighted. You can still always appeal, though I get that doesn't always work.

And finding a vendor willing to sell a product at an adjusted price for insurance companies isn't insurance fraud. In fact, in the commercial building industry we call this "or equal". The intended product is still being delivered, it gets the same job done, and at a same overall price the vendor/owner has agreed to along with the contracting insurance company.

It is totally acceptable to adjust unit quantity prices so long as the original service is being carried out at the same total cost, and with no actual change to the services or products rendered. Now it would be fraud if they charged more and delivered less (or none at all), but that is not the case here.

I would recommend the OP go with them, and get the diapers he needs. Especially given what would be delivered clearly has better quality to them than what was originally specified by his insurance company.

Slomo said:
You guys are right, insurance companies are incredibly short sighted. You can still always appeal, though I get that doesn't always work.

And finding a vendor willing to sell a product at an adjusted price for insurance companies isn't insurance fraud. In fact, in the commercial building industry we call this "or equal". The intended product is still being delivered, it gets the same job done, and at a same overall price the vendor/owner has agreed to along with the contracting insurance company.

It is totally acceptable to adjust unit quantity prices so long as the original service is being carried out at the same total cost, and with no actual change to the services or products rendered. Now it would be fraud if they charged more and delivered less (or none at all), but that is not the case here.

I would recommend the OP go with them, and get the diapers he needs. Especially given what would be delivered clearly has better quality to them than what was originally specified by his insurance company.
Oh I did. We worked out 3 abena l4 per day being cheaper that 6ish coviden with booster.

ABdei said:
Oh I did. We worked out 3 abena l4 per day being cheaper that 6ish coviden with booster.

Huzzah! That, my friend, is a sweet victory! I am glad that your company was willing to listen to your sound reasoning and helped you get into a better product for your needs. That does not seem to happen very often, as others here have shared.

ClickyKeys said:
...But as we know, a hawk flies better than a turkey.
...when pigs fly perhaps.

You've failed to define the system or environment. I guarantee you I can get a turkey to obtain better flight than a hawk naturally, I can also ensure the flight of a pig with minor adjustments to it's superstructure. :)

Figured it out with my provider. We found a way to get what I need. I'm getting tena stretch with a tranquility pad for the day, and an Abena M4 for nights. Insurance approved, no "insurance scam" just a good provider who negotiated with insurance about costs. It came out way cheaper for them instead of doing 6-7 cheap diapers a day. We saved them 3.25 a day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back