Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid things I Hate.

Default Stupid things I Hate.

(edited, I edited it so it results more to do with job hunting) (and less about what I said before.) (title should now be stupid things I hate about the job marketplace)

I hate with job hunting that a lot of people ask for impossible to meet criteria such as must have 5 years experience in office 2016, or that you must have a bachelor degree in (X) when all that is required is a certificate or diploma to do such task.

For example if I wanted a job as a server admin, I would need.
    1. 5 Years experience.
    2. Bachelor degree in computer science.
    3. 5 years experience in office 2016

I hate some job requirements as there insane, why do they demand such impossible to meat standards and make it so hard for people like me to get a job anywhere?

Internet job hunting is stupid, reason being is 1500+ people already applied for the same job, and you know just as well as I Do, mr been in the work place for 40 years with 4 PHDs is going to get the job.

References for example some places need 2 previous employees as your reference, eh I thought this was a no experience job?

entry level jobs with "impossible to meet entry requirements" yeah while we are at it, why not add.

Must know how to turn water into wine while we are at it.

It's so screwed that the job market is so stuffed up.
    Last edited by LittleJess; 02-Apr-2017 at 08:19. Reason: changed it so it's more aimed at the job market, than personal things.

Quote Originally Posted by Binary View Post
    For example if I wanted a job as a server admin, I would need.
    1. 5 Years experience.
    2. Bachelor degree in computer science.
    3. 5 years experience in office 2016
    Waitaminute... isn't it impossible for anyone to have 5 years' experience with Office 2016 until at least 2021? o.O

I don't want to be a downer here but. . . making a thread solely dedicated to things that in your opinion you don't like, will probably only result in people adding you to their list of things they dislike. Like not to be rude or whatever but if you're going to make a topic about "Stupid Things I hate" you should really make it a blog post.

Because we all know that there are some people on here that can't contain themselves and this thread is only goign to turn into some sort of shitstorm like: "I hate people who make Stupid Threads About Stupid Things I don't like" And everyone is just going to get all offended and no one will be happy and then the mods will come along and close the thread. Many negative reps will be had and we'll all feel sorry later for posting about things we don't like.

That said I do agree with one thing you said: I don't understand what Politics has to do with the new toaster I just bought. Or why Anti-X-Political-Party comments are really necessary on startrek videos on youtube. . .

Quote Originally Posted by AddyShadows View Post
    I don't want to be a downer here but. . . making a thread solely dedicated to things that in your opinion you don't like, will probably only result in people adding you to their list of things they dislike. Like not to be rude or whatever but if you're going to make a topic about "Stupid Things I hate" you should really make it a blog post.

Because we all know that there are some people on here that can't contain themselves and this thread is only goign to turn into some sort of shitstorm like: "I hate people who make Stupid Threads About Stupid Things I don't like" And everyone is just going to get all offended and no one will be happy and then the mods will come along and close the thread. Many negative reps will be had and we'll all feel sorry later for posting about things we don't like.

That said I do agree with one thing you said: I don't understand what Politics has to do with the new toaster I just bought. Or why Anti-X-Political-Party comments are really necessary on startrek videos on youtube. . .
    I Updated it so it's more of a thread directed at the job market. (was drunk when I Posted this) and realized it could a "thread war".

When .NET came out there were jobs that required 5 years experience in it. What is happening is that the people in HR have no understanding of technology. So when a manager says he wants someone at a particular experience level and they should know x,y, and z. They convert it to the requirements you see without considering that their spec is unattainable. In the above case if the manager had specified Microsoft Office instead of Office 16 (or possible the latest version of Office) to the "oblivious to reality" group in HR, the job wouldn't require an impossibility.

There are all too many jobs that require a bachelors degree, not for the knowledge gained, but for proof that the applicant can complete a 4 year long task. I teach at a two year technical college and most of our computer graduates have more hands on and practical experience than someone who got a CS degree from a theory-oriented university, but getting that known requires convincing managers that someone we graduate can hit the ground running much faster than the 4 year kid.

There is another difference between our school (and those like it) and the "big" schools, our instructors all have years of industry experience (in my case over 35 years) and understand what the "real" world is like. This differentiates us from the professors who have never really "worked" for a living, just lock-stepped through BS, MS, to Phd.

You may want to see if there are associate level programs available in your area (try to get one from a public institution, the costs are usually 1/3 to 1/5 of the private institutions). Again, there is no known cure for HR stupidity and in this day of using computer programs to cull the applicants, that is a problem.

My expertise is in programming and databases and I've seen students who can ace a test and not code their way out of a paper bag with a sharp knife) and also the reverse, students who just get the idea of how to tell the beast how to do things, but freeze on tests. I'd hire the second in a minute (and they get A's from me, since I discount tests as much as I can). By the way, someone in that second group rarely succeed in university, since the BS programs tend to over-emphasize theory over practice, after all theory is what the professors are good at).

Sorry if I got carried away, but you ran into one of my pet issues.

MarchinBunny

Ya there are some pretty stupid job requirements out there. I, honestly, haaaaate it.
    See I do sort of get why they would want someone with experience as it saves them time from having to train them. Someone with experience is likely to already know the work environment well. While someone just out of college with no experience, they may know how to do things, but in practice on the job it's a very different thing. However, I think they go too far sometimes. Training someone really isn't the end of the world. XD

Quote Originally Posted by AddyShadows View Post

This post is just fantastic. +1
    It does make me curious on what the unedited post was like.

Quote Originally Posted by MarchinBunny View Post

This post is just fantastic. +1
    It does make me curious on what the unedited post was like.
    Thank you kindly.

And to answer your question: His original post wasn't that bad, but we all know that some people just honestly can't contain themselves.

I my self went to a technical collage rather then a normal university, one guy I know is going for a masters in electrical engineering and he has told me that they have never spent time in a lab really working with electronics and that surprised me,(I also instantly understood then why he could not get an AM radio to work) one place I worked at hired an electrical engineer that did not know what a heat sink was so I totally understand your frustration.
    On the other side of things you can have too much experience, I have been in electronics now for 20 some of years and places won't consider you as they may think you are set in your ways or want too much money for the given job, Now a days you need to make a new resume for a given job at one company and rewrite it for another company, it can be quite a huge mess