Has this happened to you? Temporary change in bowel habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack3295

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Even with the severe bowel urgency I experience, I'm usually pretty regular. I use a bulk producing fiber supplement to keep things "firm" on the advise of my doctor. It has worked amazingly well over the years after I had been having loose BM's. I also occasionally use loperamide when I know I will be out for a significant period of time. Without the loperamide I can expect 3 to 4 (or more)fairly solid BM's a day. All with such urgency there is little chance of getting to a bathroom in time. Last Monday I was going out to eat with some family members to celebrate a birthday. I had taken my usual 4 doses of Metamucil during the day and thought it would be prudent to take a couple loperamide in the afternoon to slow things down and prevent an accidental BM during dinner. This worked remarkedly well and I got through the evening without an accident. Yesterday was also uneventful save for a morning BM. But the rest of the day there was nothing. Aside from some bloating ( I guess from the loperamide), I had no other events. I was a bit uncomfortable from the bloating and was constipated, a rare occurence for me. So in an effort to relieve some of the discomfort I took 5 doses of Metamucil through out the day. By bedtime I was still quite uncomfortable but figured a good nights sleep and I would be back to normal this morning. Yikes! With the effects of the loperamide worn off and a digestive track full of yesterdays fiber intake along with the back-up caused by the loperamide, I awoke with a stronger than usual urgency. Knowing a rush to the bathroom would be futile I willingly succumbed to the painful urge and proceeded to load my diaper. The relief was instant but I was alarmed at the enormous volume (even for me). I was still quite groggy from the sleep aid I use so I stayed in bed. My diaper was wet but not saturated and the huge load in my diaper didn't keep me awake long. However, 20 minutes latter I was awakened by another urge and had an equally large BM. This pattern continued for the next hour. I was to exhausted to get up and change though I know I should have. I finally got up to start the coffee and had another huge BM. It was now evident that a change was much needed as my diaper was alarmingly full.My night diaper is a 24/7 as a "diaper liner" under a pull-up cloth diaper with plastic pants. I had another BM while the coffee brewed and was now in the messiest diaper I think I've ever had. The clean-up was horrible as the load went from back to front.I changed as quickly as I could for fear of another BM. After my shower I quickly re-diapered and went to get some coffee. Sure enough, after a few hours I had 2 more extremely large BM's. The fequency and volume was something I had rarely experienced. I cancelled the day's plans as I was afraid of what still was in me. While I've had good success with loperamide I've never had such a reaction to it before. I don't use it regularly but find it helpful at times.I didn't think I could have that much stool in me. The only blessing was that it wasn't loose stool. Now that would have been a complete disaster.

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192
jack3295 said:
Even with the severe bowel urgency I experience, I'm usually pretty regular. I use a bulk producing fiber supplement to keep things "firm" on the advise...

I hope you're doing okay after that experience, unfortunately I've had very similar increase in accidents. My stool is naturally 'firm' up to a certain extent so loose stool had never been a problem for me, and I don't really take any medication other than Nullo occasionally,
But there were times when I would have large accidents which would totally overwhelm me >.<
Wasn't pleasent at all. And usually this can last for a few days or even a week at times where every accident would be larger than usual or more frequent. It really affected my mornings because I almost always have a bowel accident in the night and I don't get woken up, so early nothing when I wake up to a brief which is soaked and full after a BM the clean up is hell.
I've been to the doctors a few times during those days and didn't really find anything physically wrong and thought it was stress, and it seemed like it was. But it was kind of a vicious cycle where the accidents themselves would cause stress which would make it worse. This can happen if i go out for a dinner or something and eat more than usual, obviously.... But yeah, and the wetting can sometimes just make it worse,
Either way just relax and take it easy, I would always manage to get back to a manageable routine without being stressed all the time about changing and cleaning up, taking so many showers just because it feels better.

Hope you get better !

Hi Mia, I know what you mean about stress. With me I don't think it's stress as much as it is anxiety. I'm used to a wet, soiled diaper. But you get used to how your body works and pretty much know what to expect. And then something like this happens. It's not so much what usually happens but when things go haywire and frequency and volume more than doubles. If I had been out of the house I would have freaked out. As it is, I'm back in a clean diaper and things seems to have settled down. It's pretty nice out so I'm going to give it another hour and then go down to the beach to inspect the pier to make certain all is ready to go and take the snow fence down. It was just such an anomally. I don't think I could live like that if it was the norm.

jack3295 said:
Hi Mia, I know what you mean about stress. With me I don't think it's stress as much as it is anxiety. I'm used to a wet, soiled diaper. But you get used to how your body works and pretty much know what to expect. And then something like this happens. It's not so much what usually happens but when things go haywire and frequency and volume more than doubles. If I had been out of the house I would have freaked out. As it is, I'm back in a clean diaper and things seems to have settled down. It's pretty nice out so I'm going to give it another hour and then go down to the beach to inspect the pier to make certain all is ready to go and take the snow fence down. It was just such an anomally. I don't think I could live like that if it was the norm.
Sometimes bowels can be really unpredictable.
Most of my bowel accidents don't really happen at a certain time or anything, it's not really predictable, but usually there's no change in amount or frequency unless there's some change in diet or as I mentioned earlier stress....
For example right now I'm visiting some relatives and we've been going out a few times and I'm getting really large bowl accidents in the night because I just wake up to find the brief really full of it...... Not really a pleasent situation. Luckily it didn't happen while I was out, which has happened before .......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back