Reducing the "Cringe" Mentality

Status
Not open for further replies.
TeddyBearCowboy said:
... and in The Incredibles, the statement by Violet as she shares the following, "Normal? What do you know about being normal?!! What does anyone in this family know about being normal?!! We act normal Mom, I want to BE normal!! The only normal one in this family is Jack Jack and he isn't even potty trained yet!!!"

And that brings up another related point, as we find out later that JackJack isn't "normal" either. I think the point there is "no one is normal". We're all different, in different ways.

I think the last thing I'd want anyone to call me is "normal".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH97lImrr0Q

Lately I've been so worried about trying to be normal myself. But who has the right to say what is normal? There is no barometer of normality with people actively guarding it. I think most of our society is weird as all get up. I seriously don't get our culture. Yet I'm the abnormal one.

Disclaimer: I am myself primarily a DL, and have been since as long as I can remember, not at all interested in the AB side of things, and diapers are not hugely sexual for me.

I completely understand and sympathize why some people cringe. Hell, I cringe too 99% of the time.

In my experience the 'loudest and most visible ABDLs outside of sites like this, the ones that the general public tends to see-- are downright creepy and give off serious 'crazy person' vibes. Not to mention, I'm not tone-deaf enough to not realize that it IS weird and hilarious to be wearing diapers, in the eyes of almost anyone that isn't ABDL. That's simply the nature of the beast.

For my part, I don't let it bug me. I neither need, nor care to pursue, some kind of acceptance by the general population. Diapers are a private thing to me (as they should be) and I'm completely content with that.

Dan09 said:
Disclaimer: I am myself primarily a DL, and have been since as long as I can remember, not at all interested in the AB side of things, and diapers are not hugely sexual for me.

I completely understand and sympathize why some people cringe. Hell, I cringe too 99% of the time.

In my experience the 'loudest and most visible ABDLs outside of sites like this, the ones that the general public tends to see-- are downright creepy and give off serious 'crazy person' vibes. Not to mention, I'm not tone-deaf enough to not realize that it IS weird and hilarious to be wearing diapers, in the eyes of almost anyone that isn't ABDL. That's simply the nature of the beast.

For my part, I don't let it bug me. I neither need, nor care to pursue, some kind of acceptance by the general population. Diapers are a private thing to me (as they should be) and I'm completely content with that.

I'm a DL too, and I have absolutely no problem with keeping it private. Personally, I think there are other issues should be kept private as well.
I kinda want to tell my mom, that I have a addiction of liking diapers, but it's more embarrassing than harmful. A whole lot less harmful than her addiction of cigarettes.

Since I'm going through my coming out and personal acceptance, I told myself something yesterday I'm going to try to keep repeating. I am not incontinent (thankfully) so I don't need diapers for that purpose. But I do NEED them. For psychological well being, comfort, sanity. So why should I feel shame for something I need? My new personal motto is "no shame, no guilt" or "pudor culpam" if you want a cool Latin way to say it.

Dan09 said:
In my experience the 'loudest and most visible ABDLs outside of sites like this, the ones that the general public tends to see-- are downright creepy and give off serious 'crazy person' vibes. Not to mention, I'm not tone-deaf enough to not realize that it IS weird and hilarious to be wearing diapers, in the eyes of almost anyone that isn't ABDL. That's simply the nature of the beast

This 100%. Forget any level of understanding. If we could somehow remove that 0.01% that makes us cringe too, then we'd probably be half as unpopular or misunderstood with society as a whole.

In my experience the 'loudest and most visible ABDLs outside of sites like this, the ones that the general public tends to see-- are downright creepy and give off serious 'crazy person' vibes.

Got to agree. Every community including adbl has its 'lolcows/horrorcows' - people with extremist and mentally unhinged behaviour that maybe represents only 0.01% of the community as a whole. However with abdl these are the ones that unfortunately seem to have entered the public consciousness. There are some I have seen featured on tv that clearly have mental and emotional problems that have nothing to do with abdl, but still it makes people associate abdl with that 'creepy crazy person' vibe.

The only people you need to be understood by are the people in your life. Society as a whole will not and honestly has no obligation to understand AB/DL - a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny demographic.

Want to reduce the cringe as much as possible? Present yourself as properly as you can to those you do present yourself to. Cringe isn't just reserved for people that wear diapers, it's for anyone that just seems weird. Don't want to be cringey? Don't look weird. Can't avoid looking weird? Then stop caring what other people think.

SuperRaiUniverse said:
The only people you need to be understood by are the people in your life. Society as a whole will not and honestly has no obligation to understand AB/DL - a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny demographic.

Want to reduce the cringe as much as possible? Present yourself as properly as you can to those you do present yourself to. Cringe isn't just reserved for people that wear diapers, it's for anyone that just seems weird. Don't want to be cringey? Don't look weird. Can't avoid looking weird? Then stop caring what other people think.

Well said and I agree with that, for now as our first step, but would add our own community needs to understand it as well. It really surprises me how misunderstood our own feeling are for so many here. As such, there would be no point in trying to get anyone else in society to understand it too.

And even if only 1 in 1000 are at least slightly abdl, then we are much more closer to mainstream than we are a tiny, tiny community.

bambinod said:
And that brings up another related point, as we find out later that JackJack isn't "normal" either. I think the point there is "no one is normal". We're all different, in different ways.

I think the last thing I'd want anyone to call me is "normal".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH97lImrr0Q

Normal is the measure of how comfortable society is with an individual. To be truly normal, one would have to be robot, and that isn't normal.

Reactions: PhillyPokora
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back