Office and Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

miapeters

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
So I've been dual booting for a while now, mainly to use office for assignments and whatnot, but I've been considering getting WPS office (kingsoft) for ease. Don't have to be moving between systems for stuff... It'll be more easier. I use referencing told and making formulas and stuff mainly on word which I'd like to keep using and I want it to be completely compatible with MS office so if I give a copy of a document to someone else it won't look all screwed up.
So is it worth it going for WPS or should I stick with MS office?

miapeters said:
So I've been dual booting for a while now, mainly to use office for assignments and whatnot, but I've been considering getting WPS office (kingsoft) for ease. Don't have to be moving between systems for stuff... It'll be more easier. I use referencing told and making formulas and stuff mainly on word which I'd like to keep using and I want it to be completely compatible with MS office so if I give a copy of a document to someone else it won't look all screwed up.
So is it worth it going for WPS or should I stick with MS office?

There's nothing that's fully compatible with MS Office. If you're using VBA or scripting, you're almost certainly likely to have problems. Anything that a vaguely "advanced" user might use probably won't work identically with MS Office.

The alternatives to MS Office work well if you're just creating basic documents, though.

If I remember right if you have office 365 there is a cloud version of office 2016 that would run on Linux. For what you wanting to do I would say you would almost have to stick with Microsoft office as any other office suite will convert weirdly and mess up your formatting when opening in word. If you don't want to dual boot you can always setup a virtual machine, some even have drag and drop support between both OS's. Unfortunately software support is still a major shortcoming at this time for Linux, there are tons of awesome open source software but much of it isn't 100% with it's closed source counterpart.

There is a cloud version of office, and you can run office 2010 under play on linux btw ;)

Maxx said:
I use Open Office (Libre Office in Ubuntu) and like it.

OpenOffice and LibreOffice are different projects. The latter forked from the former several years back.

I state what everyone else said. I've got MS Office at home and LibreOffice at colleage, and I finally bought a W10 tablet with MS Office as working with two different editors like MS Word and LO Writer is just a pain. Not really compatible.

As they said, if you're gonna make a basic use of Word I'll suggest using the limited online editor. Use a VM if you are not on the mood of dualboot.
Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back