Thread: new job but I already feel like I lost it

Default new job but I already feel like I lost it

this past week I had a job interview working remote customer support for computers and whatnot working part-time from home. This will actually be my first official job since graduating high school in 2011.. I have cerebral palsy and I'm wheelchair-bound 90% of the time so this could not be a better fit for me I absolutely see no reason why I would want to leave I can work from pretty much anywhere for some off things that I probably shouldn't have. As a certified computer engineer we are not salespeople.

I bluntly asked how idiot proof is remote system was only looking for a reference to some other software I have used like team viewer or V sphere and he took that as how badly can I fought with your company if you fire me.. I screwed up again and asked him why did he hire me instead of some other trained monkey trying to make a joke considering that most disabled people are forced into jobs simply for the sake of turnover with no clue as to what their doing so I wanted to see if there was anything special about with that comment.... he pretty much told me I was off of phone duty and only doing instant message tech support with some ticketing software granted I'm not trained as a call center operator by any means but I was still pretty offended

by start April 10 but my boss already mentioned that he was hiring me because he was getting a tax break and that he could get rid of me after 30 days if he saw fit I really want to prove that this guy that I know what I'm doing and not just another disabled guy with no idea as to what he's doing...

speaking of which I wrote this with Dragon to reacquaint myself with the GUI so I apologize if the language seems a little broken

Default You're hired!

Quote Originally Posted by goodnightmoon92 View Post
    this past week I had a job interview working remote customer support for computers and whatnot working part-time from home. This will actually be my first official job since graduating high school in 2011.. I have cerebral palsy and I'm wheelchair-bound 90% of the time so this could not be a better fit for me I absolutely see no reason why I would want to leave I can work from pretty much anywhere for some off things that I probably shouldn't have. As a certified computer engineer we are not salespeople.

I bluntly asked how idiot proof is remote system was only looking for a reference to some other software I have used like team viewer or V sphere and he took that as how badly can I fought with your company if you fire me.. I screwed up again and asked him why did he hire me instead of some other trained monkey trying to make a joke considering that most disabled people are forced into jobs simply for the sake of turnover with no clue as to what their doing so I wanted to see if there was anything special about with that comment.... he pretty much told me I was off of phone duty and only doing instant message tech support with some ticketing software granted I'm not trained as a call center operator by any means but I was still pretty offended

by start April 10 but my boss already mentioned that he was hiring me because he was getting a tax break and that he could get rid of me after 30 days if he saw fit I really want to prove that this guy that I know what I'm doing and not just another disabled guy with no idea as to what he's doing...

speaking of which I wrote this with Dragon to reacquaint myself with the GUI so I apologize if the language seems a little broken
    Okay, I am relieved to see that... 'Dragon' needs some help...

I don't have CP nor, am I wheel-chair bound (I'm not going to tell you, that I know, just how you feel)...

It seems to me, even though, you probably have experiential expectations, of how you'll be treated... You may have, come a crossed as too edgy or, overly offended in advance...

If, I may offer a suggestion - wait for people to offend you properly before, you get genuinely offended... there's enough people out there, that will genuinely offend you, it's not like you have to wait long...

Basically, it doesn't matter if, this guy is going to get "50, purple, vibrating, butt-plugs", to hire you... all you have to do is prove, that you are worth more as a good working employee; than you are, as an incentive voucher...

As your own signature proclaims "I am not disabled, i am differently abled. we all have strengths and we all have a weakness"

Show 'em your strengths 'baby'! Show 'em how you roll! *pardon the inadvertent wheel-chair pun*

Go kick some ass and, don't bother taking names...

Go to that job because, you were hired to...

Keep that job because, you bloody-well can and if, you leave that job... it's because you wanted to!

From one sort of DP to another... You got this!

Many blessings... be well, be confident, be strong,
    -Marka

thanks marka
    It's you - I should be thanking!

I would show them how good you are not what they think you are prove them wrong.
    Every one needs some job experience to move on to better jobs.
    You be the best person you can be.
    Your thoughts are your own its just wise not to say all your thinking be smarter then they are.
    who knows you may start your own company this is just a stepping stone and learning experience.
    best of luck.

I actually get your question about how "idiot proof" the software is. I also come from an IT background. Seems like a valid question to me, but I'm pretty hard to offend too :p.

If you are as good as you say you are (and I have no reason to doubt you, so I'm not!), just be you and handle that business. Rock it out and show them what productivity looks like. Set the bar for tickets solved.

You got this!

Having been a professional choir director and a public school teacher, I've always reminded myself to always at "professional". My son is a teacher and a football coach, and we've had that discussion as well, holding the bar high in what you say and do.

I think you can make a good comeback by doing your job well. If you're valuable to the company, you will have good job security. When I retired from my teaching job, my principle tried to talk me out of retiring. It's a good feeling. My church doesn't want me to retire from my directing job and that too feels good. Show your employer that you have something to offer and you'll be safe. Also, use that mental filter before you say things. Just imagine that you are the boss.

I agree. Show your skills and don't be satisfied with mediocre work results. For the future I recommend to act more diplomatic and choosing your words more wisely as well as developing a thicker skin. Most people who try to get to you will stop when they see you don't react to sublime insults.