Thread: "depression cycle"

Default "depression cycle"

I like to use the term "Cycle" in a very specific way, I've noticed that my mood cycles, I could go from feeling on top of this world, to depressed, to very depressed to the point I could kill myself, than a couple days later I'm on top of the world again.

Right Now I'm feeling quite happy, but I'm unsure how that lasts, but is this a really bad warning sign?

My depression could last a couple hours, days, weeks or months, I've only started to notice a change in my mood in the last couple days, I've been very depressed for the last month, longer than usual before a mood swing.

Generally I can go from feeling ok, or happy, and a couple hours later at night time, I'll want to kill myself worrying about a lot being so sad and feeling so hopeless.

Lets say these mood "cycles" are getting a lot more "stronger" It's like my "world view" changes based on my mood, the world could either be very horrible, terrible, or it could be an amazing place, all depending on my mind set.

In a way, happiness is kind of a delusion I don't know how people can be happy in a world full of suffering, death and pain, yet we are, I don't really see negative emotions as delusions because that's often reality, the world is a dark and terrifying place, but at the same time, but yeah, I don't know lol. I kind of see most emotions as some form of delusion, but we all experience them. They rule our minds, etc.

Not a doctor, but that matches, from what I recall, some of the criteria for actual Bipolar Mood Disorder; not that I expect you want to hear it, but that really needs to be evaluated by a mental health professional

I'm glad you're getting a respite from of those dark and dangerous depths of depression. From some of the recent blogs and threads I know how difficult it has been for you and that the risk of suicide is high.

As Traemo said, you can't self diagnose these symptoms nor should you try. Whether it's depression, Bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or something else, it is serious when you are frequently at the edge of committing suicide or living in a constant cycle of depression and anxiety. Depression,, for whatever its reason needs to be treated by a professional. One of things about cycles is that when things are going well, we tend to downplay the days and weeks preceding the good days. Rather than seek help, we cross our fingers and hope we will remain in a positive state of mind and that the negative feelings won't return. It's a gamble, and it doesn't pay off, simply because it perpetuates the cycle because the underlying cause remains untreated.

When you're suffering from depression, it can hit hard and it can also be one of the most difficult times to reach out for help. It can overwhelm you, and it may not seem evident or even possible to consider calling a helpline or going to the hospital. It leaves you in a dangerous place.

I think that the most important thing to remember about long term depression is that you will have good days and you will have bad days. There are times when we're "up" and times when we're "down." My advice is that you should not wait until you've reached the next crisis to seek help, because you may not have the energy or faith to believe it will make any difference. It's during the times like now, when you're experiencing a cycle of positive feelings, that you need to prepare a plan on how to cope when the cycle shifts and you're suffering with suicidal thoughts again. This is the time when you need to reach out to professional help, friends,, family, or colleagues to strategize and have a plan in place for the next time depression hits.

If you're feeling well, you want to use this time to decrease your access to methods of suicide and increase your access to support systems such as therapists, professionals, counsellors, friends or family. Use the time to get rid of anything you have been contemplating using to carry out the act such as knives, poisons, or ropes. Take this time to see your doctor and get yourself checked out for clinical depression or other underlying causes. Develop a core group of people you trust so you can ask them to help you find ways to get though the next crisis. Ask them to take any items that you may use to carry out the act or take you to the hospital, or even just have them stay with you for awhile.

When people are seriously depressed or suicidal, it is difficult to come up with reasons to stay alive. So if you're feeling well, write up a list of reasons that make your life worth living, or reasons why you should not commit suicide if you were to start thinking about it.

I'm glad you're experiencing some of the positive feelings in life. I know they have been in short supply recently. My hope is that you will see this time as an opportunity to reach out for help, and to develop a plan so that you can increase the number of these good days while reducing the days that cause so much pain and despair.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 29-Mar-2017 at 03:09.

Dude, seriously:Get some help now. I can't stress this enough that you obviously have serious mental problems you obviously won't seek professional help for.
    I too instantly thought about bipolarity too. But I'm in no way competent to tell you this. Even if I were an experienced psychiatrist with a comfy couch I wouldn't dare to come up with a diagnosis because of some forum post.
    We cannot help you, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by pampersguy View Post
    Dude, seriously:Get some help now. I can't stress this enough that you obviously have serious mental problems you obviously won't seek professional help for.
    I too instantly thought about bipolarity too. But I'm in no way competent to tell you this. Even if I were an experienced psychiatrist with a comfy couch I wouldn't dare to come up with a diagnosis because of some forum post.
    So, as you probably noticed, Binary is in an emotionally fragile state just now. When someone is feeling that way, it's important to keep in mind that sometimes the intended tone of a message doesn't come through in text. While I can't speak on Binary's behalf, there are a few things about your message that would have irked me had I been in Binary's place:

(1) She's not a dude.
    (2) "You obviously have serious mental health problems" can VERY easily be taken as an insult, even if it was not intended to be.
    (3) Not everyone has equal access to the kind of help and services a condition such as bipolar disorder would require. You're jumping to conclusions -- about Binary's character no less -- that are not as "obvious" as you may think. I'm sure you're trying to help, but the first step in helping is being respectful of the person you're trying to help. Give her some credit rather than put her on the defensive about what she has or has not tried and why. And finally this brings me to...
    (4) We CAN help, just not sufficiently. We can't be Binary's primary source of support for dealing with this issue, is what I think you meant. We, meaning the ADISC online community, cannot be enough to counter something as serious as this. But we do have significantly more than zero influence on it, I promise you.

I don't mean to get on your case... I just think that when someone is feeling emotionally volatile, and frequently suicidal, it's important to tread lightly. I know that when I'm feeling that way I am very hypersensitive, and it's easy to send me into a downward spiral with a poor choice of words. o.o

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphyre View Post
    So, as you probably noticed, Binary is in an emotionally fragile state just now. When someone is feeling that way, it's important to keep in mind that sometimes the intended tone of a message doesn't come through in text. While I can't speak on Binary's behalf, there are a few things about your message that would have irked me had I been in Binary's place:

(1) She's not a dude.
    (2) "You obviously have serious mental health problems" can VERY easily be taken as an insult, even if it was not intended to be.
    (3) Not everyone has equal access to the kind of help and services a condition such as bipolar disorder would require. You're jumping to conclusions -- about Binary's character no less -- that are not as "obvious" as you may think. I'm sure you're trying to help, but the first step in helping is being respectful of the person you're trying to help. Give her some credit rather than put her on the defensive about what she has or has not tried and why. And finally this brings me to...
    (4) We CAN help, just not sufficiently. We can't be Binary's primary source of support for dealing with this issue, is what I think you meant. We, meaning the ADISC online community, cannot be enough to counter something as serious as this. But we do have significantly more than zero influence on it, I promise you.

I don't mean to get on your case... I just think that when someone is feeling emotionally volatile, and frequently suicidal, it's important to tread lightly. I know that when I'm feeling that way I am very hypersensitive, and it's easy to send me into a downward spiral with a poor choice of words. o.o
    You don't get on my case, no offence taken.
    I partly agree with you, usually I would go easy on fragile people. And yes, usually some kind and warm words would be just the right thing. But not here, not in this case.
    As a community we have to draw the line between "we are helping" and "we help to postpone problems". You can calm someone down, of course. And things will seem a little brighter, yes.
    You can say nice things. But you have to say unambiguously that there is nothing we can do here and that you should seek professional help, if there is any.
    Maybe just think about whether you are really helping.

Quote Originally Posted by pampersguy View Post
    Pampersguy, nice post. I appreciate your frankness. This is one of the things that I find most difficult about being a member of ADISC... that helpless feeling when you know someone is really hurting. Far too often it's about suicide. People seem to be reluctant to get help even though there are resources out there. I understand your frustration.

The good thing is that they come here. They know and trust the people here and they know that they'll find support here. They also know that most of us can be perfectly frank. This forum has a long history of people speaking up when someone suggests doing something that might endanger themselves.

Depression is insidious. Getting through depression is a difficult thing to do especially it you don't have a physical support team around you. You are correct, she'll have to find her own way. In the end, all we can do is try to talk her down when she needs it and encouraging her to get help.
    Last edited by tickles51; 27-Mar-2017 at 20:16.

Default Aside commentary:

For the sake of contemplation; we might also - let each person decide for themselves, what they may be offended by... because, the risk of enabling, can be just as detrimental, as the risk of spiraling down...

While, I don't advocate brutal-honesty and, I do advocate for tact and diplomacy; sometimes, we really do require a sharp-poke, to suss us from our unhealthy lodging...

I think, that it goes a long ways - when our intent and our spirit, are clear... we are then likely forgiven, for our clumsiness and; no genuine harm is come...

I understand, the compelling needs and desires to protect the wounded; I also understand, that dressing wounds, is also painful... it beats the results of likeliness of severe infection when, otherwise left unattended or, only softly treated...

My best and, for now,
    -Marka

Quote Originally Posted by Binary View Post
    In a way, happiness is kind of a delusion I don't know how people can be happy in a world full of suffering, death and pain, yet we are, I don't really see negative emotions as delusions because that's often reality, the world is a dark and terrifying place, but at the same time, but yeah, I don't know lol. I kind of see most emotions as some form of delusion, but we all experience them. They rule our minds, etc.
    The Serenity Prayer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a46488ca7f63aa9e7d17377b79182bec.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	28998

Reinhold Niebuhr (1892–1971)
    Last edited by tickles51; 28-Mar-2017 at 14:28.

Binary, as other's have stated get to a professional. If you are having cycles of depression you should get on some medication. Do not give up if the first rounds of meds do not help, most of us with depression had to try several combinations before finding the ones that work. Be actively involved in your treatment, tell the doctor what's working and what's not. I've been dealing with depression for over 12 years, it is possible to stabilize the moods and enjoy life.