Diaper rash

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenexus

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Sorry to probably rehash a tried and tested topic!

I tend to find I get rashes on my sides (suppose it's where your trouser pockets are to pinpoint it - below the hips) when the warm weather kicks in. My bits and pieces are fine. My bum is too. It's literally my sides only. Red lumpy bumps that itch.

I've tried baby power to clear them but that usually doesn't do much. I've tried a yellowish nappy rash cream from the supermarket that's also a but useless. I've also tried Sudocrem. The only thing to clear it is airing out for a few days but that makes wearing diapers tricky as it instantly makes the problem come back unless it's completely cleared.

I do tend to wear plastic backed products as I have no faith in breathable ones staying put without constant refastening. Half tempted to get a pack of breathable diapers though to fall back on as a necessary evil.

Does anyone have a good tip to stop nappy rash appearing in the first place? Rather than treating the symptoms after the event does baby powder or creams actually prevent it appearing if I keep it up with every diaper replacement?

Can anyone recommend a particularly good breathable product…? Been a couple of years since I have up on the Tena breathable diapers and Molicare wasn't very good either. Nor was Lille.

I'm in the UK so any locally available product suggestions appreciated.

Thanks all :)

Nexus

I actually invested in LivDry briefs. Used with pad inserts they are the best cloth backed that stay. I suggest getting a sample from tye medical

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Thank you. Sadly they seem to be Stateside :(

Tye medical is but LivDry can be found otherwise

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I use Remedy Restore barrier cream , you put it on let it dry then tape up , it has dimethicone to protect and seal your skin from wetness and feces well still allowing it to breathe , it also has amino acid "building blocks" that promote skin health and new skin growth, it is petroleum free so it will not harm your plastic pants and is cloth diaper friendly , if you are IC ask a doctor for a script , insurance covers it .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Get a prescription for triple diaper cream. It works wonders.

Also, you need to air out every day regardless if you have a rash. I prefer to lay on my bed with my ceiling fan on high. It dries me out in just five minutes.

thenexus said:
Sorry to probably rehash a tried and tested topic!

I tend to find I get rashes on my sides (suppose it's where your trouser pockets are to pinpoint it - below the hips) when the warm weather kicks in. My bits and pieces are fine. My bum is too. It's literally my sides only. Red lumpy bumps that itch.

I've tried baby power to clear them but that usually doesn't do much. I've tried a yellowish nappy rash cream from the supermarket that's also a but useless. I've also tried Sudocrem. The only thing to clear it is airing out for a few days but that makes wearing diapers tricky as it instantly makes the problem come back unless it's completely cleared.

I do tend to wear plastic backed products as I have no faith in breathable ones staying put without constant refastening. Half tempted to get a pack of breathable diapers though to fall back on as a necessary evil.

Does anyone have a good tip to stop nappy rash appearing in the first place? Rather than treating the symptoms after the event does baby powder or creams actually prevent it appearing if I keep it up with every diaper replacement?

Can anyone recommend a particularly good breathable product…? Been a couple of years since I have up on the Tena breathable diapers and Molicare wasn't very good either. Nor was Lille.

I'm in the UK so any locally available product suggestions appreciated.

Thanks all :)

Nexus
I would suggest getting a good better cream to prevent any rashes on the future. I deal with bowel accidents as well and I change as soon as I can, immediately change after a bowel accident if possible, I've managed to avoid a rash for a long time, even during times I've been forced to wear a brief for extended time because of the lack of a place to clean up and change I've not gotten a rash.

Sometimes some people's skin can be more susceptible to rashes than other's.
If you don't deal with only urinary incontinence changing more frequently or just giving your skin time to breath is a good idea, Keeping the skin clean and dry.

Another thing to consider is how long you've been wearing diaper. When I first went 24/7 I got horribly bad rashes for like 2-3 years. Then eventually my skin adapted and ever since them I hardly ever get rashes any more.

I get very few rashes, though I wear premium diapers and change only a few times a day. Maybe my skin is tough? I do find that I'm more prone to rashes if I haven't shaved down there in more than a week: hair seems to hold the moisture, which causes problems. I rotate plastic-backed and cloth-backed diapers to allow my skin to breathe differently; that also seems to help. When there is any burning, though, I apply generous amounts of moisture barrier rash cream (normal stuff I buy at Walgreens) and it almost always goes away within a day.

Air to the derriere as often as possible , keep the hair trimmed short ,barrier cream and if you don't have to be diapered , hang out on a bed pad and just let the skin and hair dry out , it's kept my skin health up even when the rest of me is falling apart, one of my original "educators" in all things IC said as close to 1/4 of the time diapered in the air,will be protective and preventative.

I've been using A and D ointment as my barrier. I use it on my morning and bed time change. I also stay completely smooth by shaving every 2 to 3 days. I still get a little bit of a rash, but it's not too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barrier cream and changing often enough. Also eating the right things helps some

rennecfox said:
barrier cream and changing often enough. Also eating the right things helps some
I saw on the news last night that it's white asparagus season in Germany, they just can't get enough , I guess no one is diapered or no one has any olfactory senses left .

My Dermatologist told me I should use lotion, then powder, and finally a barrier cream where ever my skin is touched by my diaper. She also said I should change my diapers 4-6 times a day or more as needed. I wear 24/7 with plastic pants and have never had a rash.

You do realize the dermatologist is going to tell you "best practice" versus what goes on in the "trenches" , they can express optimal situation but don't have the first hand knowledge of living IC for many years. That's just my opinion and experience.

I also realize that my pcp and urologist have been reluctant at all to talk about any kind of regiment. If its not in a pill for me to take its not a go. Diapers are not to be talked about. On my summary chart for a visit, the urologist couldn't even mention diapers and reluctantly called them pullups. I only wear briefs and pants.

It was nice that the dermatologist was willing to talk to me about it, no judgements and let me know I was welcome to see her should I develop a rash.

Paddedfanny said:
I also realize that my pcp and urologist have been reluctant at all to talk about any kind of regiment. If its not in a pill for me to take its not a go. Diapers are not to be talked about. On my summary chart for a visit, the urologist couldn't even mention diapers and reluctantly called them pullups. I only wear briefs and pants.

It was nice that the dermatologist was willing to talk to me about it, no judgements and let me know I was welcome to see her should I develop a rash.

You need a different uro. I told mine from the outset that I was using diapers to control my IC and that I'd try any pills he suggested (to a point) but no surgical or other interventions, and that if pills didn't help, he needed to be comfortable with diapers because I would be. He was fine.

And nine months later...he was fine.

0408172248.jpg

I use Desitin ointment liberally. While this can be difficult to remove without a shower, it works extremely well. It's one of the reasons I wear a disposable as a liner under my cloth pull-up diaper as it is also difficult to remove from my cloth diaper in the laundry. It is zinc oxide based which is key. I've been using diapers for 20 years and rarely heve a rash. I would guess that having pretty tough skin also helps. It does make changing a bigger production and requires a shower but you do what you have to do. It's also very important to "dry out" frequently. I do so daily after a shower.

Jack the key to removing anything with zinc oxide , is a cloth or paper towel with a little mineral oil on it, stuff comes right off .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back