Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know if watchcartoonsonline is legal in the U.S.?

Default Does anyone know if watchcartoonsonline is legal in the U.S.?

so..last night I came up with a fun game, I listed 3 movies on pieces of paper, and had my friend pick one at random, which would then be the movie we watched.

I had been trying for quite a long time to find a site that streamed some of studio ghiblis films, however after an exhaustive search, I was not able to find ANYwhere, aside from watchcartoonsonline.eu.

so...perhaps i'm getting more paranoid as I get older, truth be told, up till now, I had always imagined the opposite...

does anyone know if this site is legal? I realize that legal advice on the internet is a bit iffy...

I've always held the belief close to me, that If it is too good to be true...chances are...

It's not legal for them to do the hosting of them, but to watch movies for free in the form of streaming videos as opposed to downloaded files isn't against the law on the consumer's end.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyandMattling View Post
    so..last night I came up with a fun game, I listed 3 movies on pieces of paper, and had my friend pick one at random, which would then be the movie we watched.

I had been trying for quite a long time to find a site that streamed some of studio ghiblis films, however after an exhaustive search, I was not able to find ANYwhere, aside from watchcartoonsonline.eu.

so...perhaps i'm getting more paranoid as I get older, truth be told, up till now, I had always imagined the opposite...

does anyone know if this site is legal? I realize that legal advice on the internet is a bit iffy...

I've always held the belief close to me, that If it is too good to be true...chances are...
    If the FBI notices, they'll put you in cuffs and you'll be off to the slammer, jokes aside unless they own the copyright I don't think it would be legal.

Whatever. Yes it is fully legal. In some countries it is fully legal to host most any kind of tv and/or cartoons. And in the US, it is also legal to access that content so long as you stream it without saving it to your computer or redistribute it.

I tend to frequent gogoanime.com more often myself. I also have amazon fire tv, with the kodi app loaded. It allows me to access tv and movies that are still playing on major networks or still in theatres. And yes, amazon fully supports kodi simply because it is legal and they can.

MarchinBunny

Ya, I wouldn't worry about it. You are not downloading it, and so there isn't any law they can get you on. What makes pirating against the law is that it's going against copyright since downloading it would have just created a new copy of which you are not allowed to do as you are not the copyright owner. Actually watching it without downloading it, isn't illegal other wise going to your friends house and watching a movie would be illegal as well.

As long as you are not copying anything, you are abiding by the law. However, the site owners .... not so much lmao. Not only are they copying but also distributing and if they run ads on the site, than that is even worse for them. XD

thanks for the replies everyone, I am still a bit nervous, as I have read a bit about the vagaries of "accessing licensed content" since reading everyone's replies.
    I came across this bit of information on quora, for whatever that is worth,

"it becomes illegal if the site providing the content doesn't have legal license to do so."

in the case of watchcartoonsonline. I highly doubt they have license to host even half the content that they have.

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by MommyandMattling View Post
    thanks for the replies everyone, I am still a bit nervous, as I have read a bit about the vagaries of "accessing licensed content" since reading everyone's replies.
    I came across this bit of information on quora, for whatever that is worth,

"it becomes illegal if the site providing the content doesn't have legal license to do so."

in the case of watchcartoonsonline. I highly doubt they have license to host even half the content that they have.
    You worry too much. It's only illegal for them. Not you.
    I have never once in the history of the internet heard anyone getting in trouble from watching something on a site that decided to provide it illegally. They can get in trouble, but not the watchers. How do you even expect them to go after every single user who possibly watched it?

Over here in the UK, distributing the material would be a criminal offence. And I believe that accessing it would be a civil matter.

There has been much debate about whether private viewing in the UK is actually legal. Some "experts" have said it is technically legal, whilst others claim it is definitely illegal. It's a bit of a grey area.

I wonder if the situation is similar in the US...?

I haven't had any issues using a similar site. I am not an attorney by any means, but I believe others in this thread are correct in that there is nothing illegal about streaming something from such a site.