Tykables story on Huffpost

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple thoughts:

I find it a little weird that Williams sort of singled out people on the autism spectrum as a separate category than other AB/DL's. Perhaps he was going for the fact that we might enjoy such activities in part because of autism, but yet at the same time, if you do that pretty much still makes you an AB/DL. Whether or not you apply the label is up to you.

Also, I think it's pretty inaccurate to say that ''most people in the community'' do not mess. I know it's not as popular as wetting but it's not that uncommon either. That paragraph just gives off the sentiment, to me anyway, that it's OK to like diapers and/or being a baby, but having a pee or scat fetish is weirder and grosser.

Tod sure is great, though, isn't he! :thumbsup:

I don't know. I think it could be realistically inferred from reading posts here that messing is less often a part of things. Even many IC people are bladder-only (like me). Is messing "weirder"? Well, that's up to your point of view. Is it "grosser"? I think, beyond the shadow of a doubt, yes. As a mom who had to clean I-don't-know-how-many shitty diapers, I can tell you I infinitely preferred the "just wet" kind.

What I took from the article was mostly positive. I mean it was a lengthy advertisement for Tykables on the front page of Huffpost, but at the same time, because Huffpost is not an ABDL site, it was also risky to do it for the store, as it could attract exactly the kind of people they say they are fortunate to have avoided. What I did like about it was the repeated emphasis that this is not about children at all, that in fact it's about the innocent age-play of being the children.

Someone ought to let Tykables know, though, that "Adult Baby Diaper Lovers" isn't a thing. There is a slash in there. Nobody here loves adult baby diapers. (At least I think​ nobody does.) The article did most definitely fail to create any distinction between the two separate groups within the community.

I actually agree with KimbaWolfNahihiko. Those two things stood out to me as just a little bit weird. I don't understand why being autistic became its own category in the community to him. It's almost like as if he was implying that those with Asperger's Syndrome have some sort of different need or feel then others who are AB/DL ... and im not too certain I understand where that comes from.

I also feel like it's going to possibly irritate some people who are autistic and not AB/DL. XD

Now as for the messing part, I also think it's a bit inaccurate with the way he said it. It's fine to be honest and say it's much less common, but it's still not uncommon if you know what I mean. If it was, we wouldn't have so many threads pop up on the matter XD.

Well, this certainly is one of the fairest and most realistic stories about us that I've seen to date. It does fall fallacy to the ABDL = Fetish misnomer, but that does reflect the generalised misunderstandings of society in general. At least the story went on to clarify being ABDL is NOT sexual towards children. Now if only they would further clarify that being ABDL is by definition- not sexual at all.....

Uuugh, I guess this just proves how much more we have to do as a community to clear up this misconception.

Slomo said:
Well, this certainly is one of the fairest and most realistic stories about us that I've seen to date. It does fall fallacy to the ABDL = Fetish misnomer, but that does reflect the generalised misunderstandings of society in general. At least the story went on to clarify being ABDL is NOT sexual towards children. Now if only they would further clarify that being ABDL is by definition- not sexual at all.....

Uuugh, I guess this just proves how much more we have to do as a community to clear up this misconception.

I don't think it's that much of a misconception as you put it though. Not all AB/DL are sexual, but to act like it being sexual has nothing to do with it at all is just entirely false. Espeically with the way you stated it. By definition? What dictionary do you use?

Slomo said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but AB/DL is in fact a Fetish. It's not a life style. It's a Fetish.

Maxx said:
Interesting. Have to look into exactly where that is. I mean, I know where Mt. Prospect is, but it strikes me as an odd place for this kind of store. Probably in one of their industrial parks. Can't picture it downtown or in one of the typical neighborhood strip malls.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd bet that's more a function of the reporter than the reportee. How often does the press actually get all the details right?
From the pictures I've seen online, it's right on an ordinary street. http://www.dailyherald.com/storyimage/DA/20160608/news/160608958/EP/1/3/EP-160608958.jpg&updated=201606082145&MaxW=800&maxH=800&noborder
MarchinBunny said:
I don't think it's that much of a misconception as you put it though. Not all AB/DL are sexual, but to act like it being sexual has nothing to do with it at all is just entirely false. Espeically with the way you stated it. By definition? What dictionary do you use?

I believe you and I have both debated with Slomo in the past that diaper lovers are usually sexually motivated, but he considers using the term to denote sexual attraction to diapers to be incorrect. While I disagree, I don't think there's going to be any changing his mindset.

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
I believe you and I have both debated with Slomo in the past that diaper lovers are usually sexually motivated, but he considers using the term to denote sexual attraction to diapers to be incorrect. While I disagree, I don't think there's going to be any changing his mindset.

Ya, I have as well. For the most part, he has ignored pretty much anything I have said on the matter. It's pretty weird if you ask me that he ignores the very group he is trying to speak for. Guess it is what it is. XD

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
I find it a little weird that Williams sort of singled out people on the autism spectrum as a separate category than other AB/DL's. Perhaps he was going for the fact that we might enjoy such activities in part because of autism, but yet at the same time, if you do that pretty much still makes you an AB/DL. Whether or not you apply the label is up to you.

I mainly seperate them because I do know many people who feel that as a whole the "AB" thing is sexual and for them it is not; so they do not see themselves as an AB. As a whole it was intended to separate out the fetish aspect that some have and the same activity can be non sexual. In our entier interview I did say that clearly not everyone who is Autistic would need or even like our products and may infact not help them at all, but for thoes who it does clearly can have a meaningful outcome. As it was said later in the interview, I could give you 1,000 different answers and reasons and still not get them all. It is an incredably personal thing for many people and the reason is not the point but the point is simply that it provides pleasure in some way and that is all that matters.

todaler said:
I mainly seperate them because I do know many people who feel that as a whole the "AB" thing is sexual and for them it is not; so they do not see themselves as an AB. As a whole it was intended to separate out the fetish aspect that some have and the same activity can be non sexual. In our entier interview I did say that clearly not everyone who is Autistic would need or even like our products and may infact not help them at all, but for thoes who it does clearly can have a meaningful outcome. As it was said later in the interview, I could give you 1,000 different answers and reasons and still not get them all. It is an incredably personal thing for many people and the reason is not the point but the point is simply that it provides pleasure in some way and that is all that matters.

I still think that is a bit of an odd way to seperate mainly because there are plenty who don't see it as sexual, still idenitfy as an AB and are not autistic XD. I mean it is what it is, thanks for explaining though. :3

I guess it's just one of those things like you said, it is an incredibly personal thing for many people.

MarchinBunny said:
I still think that is a bit of an odd way to seperate mainly because there are plenty who don't see it as sexual, still idenitfy as an AB and are not autistic XD. I mean it is what it is, thanks for explaining though. :3

I guess it's just one of those things like you said, it is an incredibly personal thing for many people.

We talked about it a few times, in a few ways, and that was the particular section that was posted. As you said, clearly there is no one answer and any answer you give will be wrong to a group no matter how small that may be. In the end of the day as long as you enjoy it, thats all that matters.

A lot of AB/DL people are not on the Autism Spectrum.
Anyway, I am Autistic.
I do mess as well as wet myself uncontrollably.
I am ashamed every day when I uncontrollably mess myself.

Probably the most even handed article yet about AB/DL/IC and the stuff that is associated with it. Well done Todaler!

I think it's interesting that someone has the guts to open an AB/DL, diaper related store to the general public. I also thought the story gave us a reasonably good portrayal. This doesn't happen often. It takes a long time for marginalized social minorities to gain general acceptance. It's places and events like this that move us forward even if it's just a little.

I thought that the article was really good and totally fair towards the ABDL community. Sure, I'd agree that the amount that mess is higher than implied in the article, but I feel like that's a minor issue in a really good article. Good job to both Tykables and the Huffington Post.

Todaler, it was indeed a very fair and even handed story. Thanks for it; I suspect that it will at least make some people realize that the AB/DL world is not one to be feared (even if it might still seem ultra bizarre). And the point about this not having anything to do with children was clearly made at least three different times.

It's interesting to read these posts and to realize that, even among ourselves, we don't seem to have a consensus about who and what we are. Oh, pretty much everyone agrees that the vast majority of ABs are not in it for sexual kicks; most are in it for other reasons including escaping the adult world and its responsibilities, being taken care of, reliving childhood, immersing in a Little world, etc. DLs, though, as your article makes clear, could be in it for fetishistic reasons or simply for the comfort factor of the diapers themselves (or as a part of their relationship to childhood without the rest of it). But we've seen the argument made here that the word "fetish" should never be applied to either AB or DL, which frankly defies both logic and reality, as a lot of people here and elsewhere openly discuss how they are turned on by diapers (the very definition of a fetish), and there is nothing wrong with that.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if you are or are not turned on by it, or if you are turned on sometimes but not always, or whatever. We all have far more in common than not, and the article made that clear as well. Whether we are AB, DL, or IC without a hint of either one, we're here because we wear diapers for some reason. Tykables clearly wants to position itself as a go-to brand for people like us and wants to make adults wearing diapers seem less unacceptable to the general public. I don't get the comments on Huffpost for some reason, but I'm sure there are a ton of nasty ones. Change takes time, but it is a start.

I thought that was a strong article. The bit about pulling out autism as a separate category has already been discussed, but I'd also defend todaler that if his perspective as the person actually dealing with clients is that those people seem to consist of a bit of a different category in his mind, it's fair for him to say that. At any rate, it doesn't detract from the rest of the article, which I think is clearly written, pretty easy to understand, and hits some nice points for understanding the community (insofar as we understand ourselves, at any rate).

kerry said:
Honestly, it doesn't matter if you are or are not turned on by it, or if you are turned on sometimes but not always, or whatever. We all have far more in common than not, and the article made that clear as well. Whether we are AB, DL, or IC without a hint of either one, we're here because we wear diapers for some reason. Tykables clearly wants to position itself as a go-to brand for people like us and wants to make adults wearing diapers seem less unacceptable to the general public. I don't get the comments on Huffpost for some reason, but I'm sure there are a ton of nasty ones. Change takes time, but it is a start.

You can see the comments by clicking on the little speech bubble on the left side below the social media sharing buttons. It's actually a pretty meh comment discussion though. Everybody was like "eh that's fine" with a couple people criticizing the fact that it was apparently a slow news day or that it was listed under "Queer Voices" which...eh, let's not go there. I'm fine with it being published and it's close enough as far as overall category.

kerry said:
Change takes time,

Most changes are only a minute or so though, unless your diaper has really been through its paces. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back