Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7 steps forward 3 steps back

Default 7 steps forward 3 steps back

(A little play on the original saying but more relevant to me personally) I really am doing a horrible job at keeping my emotions in check at least today. I can't get past an employee who has no power over me forcing me to clock in when I've been using time sheets for months. I got so angry I don't know how I kept along with his insanity. I was 20 minutes late to work today and I was going to write it down in my time sheet that I got here 20 minutes later than starting time. This schedule is brand new and I'm not sure if I'm keeping it. I almost walked off the job today because of how this guy acted. He has been here a lot longer, but has zero authority over me. Older gentleman most likely in his late 40s or early 50s. He acted like I was one of those entitled brats who thinks they can get to work whenever they feel like it just because their boss is family. Not here, my aunt and uncle are the bosses, they are brother and sister. They have power, my aunt is vice president and my uncle is president. I received no respect when there was no reason for him to act this way. He talked about how he's had to fire family (not relevant because he isn't my family and my aunt is) I also make a habit of being on time to work every day. Today was an exception and the last time I was late? I left 2 hours early and still made it an hour late due to 11 accidents on the highway. I was coming back from my friends who live an hour away. I am so unbelievably frustrated and hurt I want to scream. I kept my composure in my other posts, but all day today I've been upset enough to leave. It's bringing back suicidal thoughts and it cast a shadow of depression on this day, but dang it I will have a good day no matter what. I will have a great day if it kills me.

Edit: Please note this is just an emotion based post, what I'm looking for are ideas on what I can do here. I work in an office building for a roofing company owned by my aunt and uncle. I can be just as easily fired as anyone else.

Imagine an 'old guy' stuck in his ways.... LOL

FWIW. Consider what would happen if everyone showed up 20 minutes late. He may be old (as if 40 were old...) and powerless, but in business, promptness is gold. It's perhaps the easiest way to win friends and influence people. Show them that you value THEIR time by not keeping them waiting.

I still remember an old sales training video (actually film..from way before video existed), featuring Vince Lombardi coaching a young salesman. The line that I still share often "If you're not 15 minutes early, you're late". Say that to any OLD salesman, they will look at you, smile, and nod their head.

If he has no authority over you, then it's really none of his business. If it's an isolated or rare incident, it's not going to get you fired if everything else about your work is up to par. The only person it should matter to is your boss. If your boss is approachable, perhaps you could talk to them about why you were late and let them know you take this very seriously and you have taken all the steps to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I kind of see it from the other end, and it has nothing to do with the way you're describing your situation, I just need to rant for a moment. I am never late for work, but I have a coworker who usually comes in about 15 minutes to half an hour late, pretty much every morning. She always has a reason for it, usually blaming the bus being late. When she finally shows up, she heads right into the director's office and they spend about fifteen or twenty minutes chatting together as she gives her all the details as if it's the first time it's happened. They have a good chuckle together. If the director is out of the office for the morning, then she comes in even later. Then she heads off to the kitchen to make her morning tea and eventually she finds her way to her office about an hour after everyone has started. Moral; get your boss wrapped around your finger and they won't care what the other people think.

I think it would be ironic if you worked hard and over the years, you became the boss. In a way, this happened to our oldest son. He, like all kids, was a student in the public school system. He went to college and got his degree and certification as a history teacher. Over the years he got his Masters degree in administration. Eventually he became head principle at the very junior high school where he was a student. Some of his teachers were still there, so imagine how they must have felt, having a kid they taught, now their boss?

Our son is a good guy and actually became a beloved principle. He's now at another school, also as a principle. You never know what the future brings. I feel this guy who is bothering you has a lot of issues and he's using you as a scapegoat of sorts. Just bide your time and things will get back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Imagine an 'old guy' stuck in his ways.... LOL

FWIW. Consider what would happen if everyone showed up 20 minutes late. He may be old (as if 40 were old...) and powerless, but in business, promptness is gold. It's perhaps the easiest way to win friends and influence people. Show them that you value THEIR time by not keeping them waiting.

I still remember an old sales training video (actually film..from way before video existed), featuring Vince Lombardi coaching a young salesman. The line that I still share often "If you're not 15 minutes early, you're late". Say that to any OLD salesman, they will look at you, smile, and nod their head.
    I've been on time for months and this was only the 2nd time I've ever been late. Others have been late but he didn't say anything to them. I also don't understand why he was acting so stuck up. I feel better today, if he does it again I'll be talking to the boss about it. My grandma also said she'd wring his neck if he ever did it again. He's usually the nicest guy you'll ever meet. The situation has been handled, maybe I overreacted, but he still had no right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    If he has no authority over you, then it's really none of his business. If it's an isolated or rare incident, it's not going to get you fired if everything else about your work is up to par. The only person it should matter to is your boss. If your boss is approachable, perhaps you could talk to them about why you were late and let them know you take this very seriously and you have taken all the steps to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I kind of see it from the other end, and it has nothing to do with the way you're describing your situation, I just need to rant for a moment. I am never late for work, but I have a coworker who usually comes in about 15 minutes to half an hour late, pretty much every morning. She always has a reason for it, usually blaming the bus being late. When she finally shows up, she heads right into the director's office and they spend about fifteen or twenty minutes chatting together as she gives her all the details as if it's the first time it's happened. They have a good chuckle together. If the director is out of the office for the morning, then she comes in even later. Then she heads off to the kitchen to make her morning tea and eventually she finds her way to her office about an hour after everyone has started. Moral; get your boss wrapped around your finger and they won't care what the other people think.
    That's exactly right, plus I've seen people come in that late before and no one made a fuss. He singled me out because he doesn't know me. I'm a hardworking individual and I earned all that I have. Imagine being told you're a spoiled brat when all you have done is work to survive and work to move through life? That's why I had such an adverse reaction. I make a point of being on time, I take my job seriously. My aunt and uncle may be the boss, but I am just as fire-able if not more so, than everyone else. My aunt said as much as she wants to give me special treatment, she won't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I think it would be ironic if you worked hard and over the years, you became the boss. In a way, this happened to our oldest son. He, like all kids, was a student in the public school system. He went to college and got his degree and certification as a history teacher. Over the years he got his Masters degree in administration. Eventually he became head principle at the very junior high school where he was a student. Some of his teachers were still there, so imagine how they must have felt, having a kid they taught, now their boss?

Our son is a good guy and actually became a beloved principle. He's now at another school, also as a principle. You never know what the future brings. I feel this guy who is bothering you has a lot of issues and he's using you as a scapegoat of sorts. Just bide your time and things will get back to normal.
    I took a day off from life for a few hours. I was so upset when I took my family out to eat, I paid the bill, boxed my food, and left so they could still enjoy it. I just needed to get home.

******warning, old man back-in-the-day rant about walking uphill against the wind through rain, snow and tornadoes to school******

FWIW, I don't understand how Mrs. Junior gets away with as much time off and tardiness as she does.

Either she's got some unique skills I don't know about or there's been a generational attitude shift. Maybe the boss is afraid to discipline a <heavenly fanfare as a reverent hush falls over the crowd> WOMAN.

In my day she'd have been tossed out on her ear. I mean I like her and I'm glad life is working out for her, but if I were her boss, she'd be unemployed.
    Last edited by Maxx; 21-Mar-2017 at 14:10.

******warning, old man back-in-the-day rant about walking uphill against the wind through rain, snow and tornadoes to school******
    I don't know how she has a job either but..... LOL this sentence made me laugh out loud. Not just the lol that's barely a nose breathe, but a soft laugh.

As I recall, it was uphill both ways, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Premetheus View Post
    (A little play on the original saying but more relevant to me personally) I really am doing a horrible job at keeping my emotions in check at least today. I can't get past an employee who has no power over me forcing me to clock in when I've been using time sheets for months. I got so angry I don't know how I kept along with his insanity. I was 20 minutes late to work today and I was going to write it down in my time sheet that I got here 20 minutes later than starting time. This schedule is brand new and I'm not sure if I'm keeping it. I almost walked off the job today because of how this guy acted. He has been here a lot longer, but has zero authority over me. Older gentleman most likely in his late 40s or early 50s. He acted like I was one of those entitled brats who thinks they can get to work whenever they feel like it just because their boss is family. Not here, my aunt and uncle are the bosses, they are brother and sister. They have power, my aunt is vice president and my uncle is president. I received no respect when there was no reason for him to act this way. He talked about how he's had to fire family (not relevant because he isn't my family and my aunt is) I also make a habit of being on time to work every day. Today was an exception and the last time I was late? I left 2 hours early and still made it an hour late due to 11 accidents on the highway. I was coming back from my friends who live an hour away. I am so unbelievably frustrated and hurt I want to scream. I kept my composure in my other posts, but all day today I've been upset enough to leave. It's bringing back suicidal thoughts and it cast a shadow of depression on this day, but dang it I will have a good day no matter what. I will have a great day if it kills me.

Edit: Please note this is just an emotion based post, what I'm looking for are ideas on what I can do here. I work in an office building for a roofing company owned by my aunt and uncle. I can be just as easily fired as anyone else.
    Been there, worked with that type.

I have only one thought and that is Q-TIP

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    As I recall, it was uphill both ways, wasn't it?
    Yes it was. Carrying my little brother and his friend when the snow was too deep.