Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Since almost the whole AB diaper world is plastic, and AB pull-ups will take forever

  1. #1

    Question Since almost the whole AB diaper world is plastic, and AB pull-ups will take forever

    I was hoping fellow ADISCers could help me out. I'm a real cloth baby, but, vacations, and conventions, and outings, and being abducted by an alien race that won't let me use their washers, could happen. Sposies are necessary. Stick to AB/Little/DL brands. What should I try? Preschools are a given. Only clothlike backed option I got. They aren't too boyish either.

    I need:
    Well, first, to get over my fear and anxiety about plastic. No, seriously this time.

    1. Easy on and off. Seriously, Casey, toddaler, whoever wants my business, I'm waiting for pull-ups. Not training pants. Diapers, that just so happen to not be an asspain to put on. From the outside, they can look training pantish, though. Okay by me if it unvelcros open, to take it off, but, what's it matter how wonderful the product is, if I can't put it on? Cloth like backed ones. Don't go getting any crazy ideas about plastic backed pull-ups! I know it'll take time, so take yours, and do them right. I'll love you forever. Darn bad hand! Darn tapes!

    2. Reasonably dry skin, even when it's, well, not.

    3. Cute in a girly nostalgic way

    4. Until the unicorn of our world does come out, Clothlike backing, or, smooth, quiet plastic, I have sensory issues.

    5. Not, "You really are pathological; y'know that," thick.

    Now, on to what I've heard.

    That ABU is awesome, and has buttery plastic, except for the simple, which is different.
    That TykABles win in the skin dryness category, because of their blue core
    That TykABles tapes are clear, and I like not having to see them. Yes, I know. I'm weird. Oh, gosh, so weird.
    Bambino downgrades the quality of their other products every time something new comes out.
    Bambinos are inordinately thick and obvious and stuff. Like, "only to conventions," obvious.

    Are the things I've heard true, everybody? Are there any other brands I can try? Bambinos didn't seem to be for me, even before I heard anything negative. Am I missing out?
    Last edited by SpAzpieSweeTot; 20-Mar-2017 at 16:34. Reason: Figured I'd clearify this thread is for everyone, and fix a grammar error or 2, or 3, or 10

  2. #2

    Default

    Yo, SpAzpie.

    Well... You and me both on the cloth-backed thing! The cloth-backed Cushies were my favorite dispies while they existed, which was far too short a time. Like the cloth-backed Preschools, though, they were an awkward blend of now and then, being cloth-backed and velcro-tabbed in mimicry of modern baby diapers, while at the same time lacking the stretchy wings that have been common on baby diapers for decades. Of course, I'm sure I don't fully appreciate the difficulty of making an ABDL-targeted product while operating within the confines of the typical adult diaper-making processes, which simply haven't kept up with those of the baby kind. It's still frustrating, though!

    So if your top criteria is cloth backing, and if you also value a childish design, then the Preschools are likely to be your best bet. If I recall correctly from previous posts, you're put off by "medical" diapers (me too), but if you're desperate enough to dip into that space, another diaper to consider would be the Tena Stretch line, which has enormous stretchy tabs and cloth-like backing. It can be put on like a regular old diaper, or you can pre-fasten the tabs and pull it on like a pull-up. Big downside: Most variations have wetness indicators and are conspicuously "medical."

    A final data-point: I wasn't a Bambino fan until recently when I decided to try the Magnifico diapers. Having not worn Bambinos but a few times before that, I can't corroborate any reports of decreased quality, but I can say that I find the quality of the Magnificos quite acceptable. The big stretchy tabs are really great, and although I haven't tried it yet, I'm fairly certain I could fasten them first and then pull the diapers on. The "hybrid" (cloth/plastic) design is hit-and-miss for me, though. The awkwardness is apparent when you take off a used one and go to roll it up and toss it. With an all-plastic or an all-cloth diaper, the tabs will generally stick anywhere on the outside of the diaper, allowing you to simply roll it up and wrap the tabs around it to hold it closed. With the Magnifico, you can't do that. I find myself somewhat humorously tying the tabs together. It works, though.

    So nobody's quite there yet. But progress does seem rapid these last few years. I bet ABU will have a proper followup to the cloth-backed Cushies sometime soon. They have to answer Bambino's "stretchy wings" challenge at some point.
    Last edited by Cottontail; 20-Mar-2017 at 16:58.

  3. #3

    Default

    I feel for our diaper manufacturers. I really do. I know. It's not that they don't think something that combines a pull on design, and a diaper's heart, wouldn't be really cool. The machines aren't there yet. Poor guys. What if one of them built his own machine?! Cottontail, peep this thread out. https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthre...veral-concerns Whatcha think?

    What's this I hear about TykABles being the softest of all the plastic backed ones? It's piqued my interest. After all, if it's so soft, it can't possibly crinkle too loud. Can it? Please, say no! Please, say no! What if a race of ABU Preschool loving, alien, bunnies come and take all the Preschools?!

    My body and spirit revolt against crinckle. I'm dead serious. Don't believe me? Ask my family what, "The Great Mattress Pad Fiasco of 20-Whenever-It-Was," is.
    Last edited by SpAzpieSweeTot; 20-Mar-2017 at 19:23.

  4. #4

    Default

    I wouldn't mind seeing a proper cloth-backed AB diaper. Yes, I know many adult babies may want a diaper that harkens back to the plastic-backed diapers they wore when they were actual babies. But yet I think there's probably some who would like a diaper that replicates what real babies are wearing today.

    For example, one of the things that makes PAW Patrol fun for me is that it's something that actual kids like right now. It's what's in in the preschool world. Bandwagons and trends have a tendency to suck people in.

    Now, I know it would be convenient for you, but I would not be interested in a product that was marketed as an AB pull-on-type diaper. For me, it's more of a deeply-rooted semantics thing. Things that are pull-ups, to me, need to be training pants, or bedwetting pants. It's hard to explain my feelings exactly, because they're rooted in personal preference more than anything. I'm just very attached to the Huggies Pull-Up brand and when you take what is essentially training pants and sell them as a ''pull-on diaper''... it just doesn't sit well with me. I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade or tell them what to like, it's just that I've been into this stuff since I was like four so I'm a bit set in my ways and preferences.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by KimbaWolfNagihiko View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing a proper cloth-backed AB diaper. Yes, I know many adult babies may want a diaper that harkens back to the plastic-backed diapers they wore when they were actual babies. But yet I think there's probably some who would like a diaper that replicates what real babies are wearing today.

    For example, one of the things that makes PAW Patrol fun for me is that it's something that actual kids like right now. It's what's in in the preschool world. Bandwagons and trends have a tendency to suck people in.

    Now, I know it would be convenient for you, but I would not be interested in a product that was marketed as an AB pull-on-type diaper. For me, it's more of a deeply-rooted semantics thing. Things that are pull-ups, to me, need to be training pants, or bedwetting pants. It's hard to explain my feelings exactly, because they're rooted in personal preference more than anything. I'm just very attached to the Huggies Pull-Up brand and when you take what is essentially training pants and sell them as a ''pull-on diaper''... it just doesn't sit well with me. I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade or tell them what to like, it's just that I've been into this stuff since I was like four so I'm a bit set in my ways and preferences.
    I see kind of a bigger, fully assaultable, Huggies Pull-Up in my head, but softer, like a Pampers, and less age pigeon holing, so I don't need licensed characters. The Velcro sides thing Huggies has. . . Genius! But if I have to Velcro them on, umm. . . No, not gonna work! The thing is, I'm kinda, slightly bowel IC so, yeah. . . That's why it needs diaper guts.

    If they wanna call 'em training pants, and market 'em to us that way, fine, as long as it's actually good. I'm interested in keeping what weird bladder & bowel control I have, so, I need to be able to pull them down, as feeding Mr. Toiletman is also necessary (smiles mischievously) unless I don't wanna. They don't need to be, "Space," thick or anything, but, y'know, leak guards, blue core, 'bout 2 wettings and a, well, not wetting. Bare in mind, I don't walk much, and that effects total uses. I mean, in my wheelchair, the thing'll be under pressure, so I need enough, only enough, capacity.
    Last edited by SpAzpieSweeTot; 20-Mar-2017 at 22:52.

  6. #6

    Default

    Hi SpAzpieSweeTot .

    First of all, CONGRATS on your NAPPY Award!

    OK, then. More on-topic: I like plastic personally but I have recently been wearing a cloth-backed diaper (Seni Quatro) as one of my rotation (with Dry 24/7). (I have yet to find any kind of pull-on that doesn't leak while side-sleeping, so I don't bother, but I understand your needs.) I do have a question, though, for you and other cloth enthusiasts. Even the best of them (like the Seni) have issues with moisture seeping through if you wear them wet long enough and are sitting down. Why is this preferable to plastic?

    Non sequitur: you've piqued my interest. What was "The Great Mattress Pad Fiasco of 20-Whenever-It-Was"?

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    I do have a question, though, for you and other cloth enthusiasts. Even the best of them (like the Seni) have issues with moisture seeping through if you wear them wet long enough and are sitting down. Why is this preferable to plastic?
    I can only answer for myself, and for me the answer is "because." I have no broadly acceptable argument for them, really. I'm one of those people who's never quite given up on baby diapers, and have been using them (in one way or another) since I first got up the nerve to buy them with my allowance back in the late 80's. I was young and impressionable, and it wasn't long before cloth-like backing material came along. From that point forward, plastic diapers just seemed old. Babies didn't wear plastic-backed disposables anymore, and I wanted to be diapered like a baby, so... forget plastic!

    ...but going back to that "no compelling argument" thing: My preferences are full of contradictions. As much as I try to avoid those "old" plastic disposables, I'm strongly attached to actual "cloth diapers," (the kind you fasten with pins) and particularly the now-vintage ("old") Curity diapers that I wore as a baby. I buy them on eBay every chance I get, and have a monstrous stash of them. Why? Because. (Probably because I grew up always having them around, and they were the natural way of coping with my diaper needs before my curiosity about disposables reached a boiling point.)

    About the seepage of cloth-backed disposables: That's not a universal problem. The cloth-backed Cushies, for example, were just plastic-backed Cushies with a layer of cloth-like material over the plastic. And Velcro tabs. Not sure if that's how the cloth-backed Preschools are done, but if so, they should be equally fantastic as far as not seeping goes.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    Hi SpAzpieSweeTot .

    First of all, CONGRATS on your NAPPY Award!

    OK, then. More on-topic: I like plastic personally but I have recently been wearing a cloth-backed diaper (Seni Quatro) as one of my rotation (with Dry 24/7). (I have yet to find any kind of pull-on that doesn't leak while side-sleeping, so I don't bother, but I understand your needs.) I do have a question, though, for you and other cloth enthusiasts. Even the best of them (like the Seni) have issues with moisture seeping through if you wear them wet long enough and are sitting down. Why is this preferable to plastic?

    Non sequitur: you've piqued my interest. What was "The Great Mattress Pad Fiasco of 20-Whenever-It-Was"?

    Cloth doesn't tattle. I also don't think it rubs so much. If one has skin breakdown, it doesn't shear as much skin off. There's also something about the clothlike type that doesn't say, "It's official; You've lost it."

    Try Preschools! I hear they don't have that weeping problem.

    Well, while I'm asleep, my bladder spasms go away and leave me the heck alone. The only downside? When I'm awakened by a night pee, the odds I'm gonna make it out of bed, into my wheelchair, to the bathroom, and to the toilet go way down. I don't pee in my sleep. Thank you, Father! My CP bites me in the bladder more often in the day. Problem is, I don't exactly make it out of bed every time, so, here I am, fully awake, aware, and, at the very least, dribbling. Happens less now, but when it was bad, my parents got me a hospital type, tattly, washable underpad thingy. I'm one of those, "The less you know, the better. I. . . Don't. . . Wanna. . . Talk about it, and you knowing hurts! It hurts! I'd rather explain, 'Hey, I'm fetishy and weird,' than talk about that," people, so, them knowing, and seeing me weak, freaked me out, and I pitched an infantile, crying, bitch fit, and spent my saturnalia money on a new one that was designed to be silent. It was bad. Went on for weeks.

    How can I see which award I won?
    Last edited by SpAzpieSweeTot; 21-Mar-2017 at 00:45.

  9. #9

    Default

    Wow. That sounds like a Grand Ugly Time.

    Maybe I will give Preschools a try. Are they ABU?

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    Wow. That sounds like a Grand Ugly Time.

    Maybe I will give Preschools a try. Are they ABU?
    Yes, ma'am. https://us.abuniverse.com/product/preschool/

Similar Threads

  1. Delete this one for me, mods. Double posting snafu.
    By SpAzpieSweeTot in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-Mar-2017, 04:16
  2. The Forever Diaper
    By thickdiapers in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-Nov-2014, 22:11
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-Nov-2014, 12:11
  4. Are there any plastic backed pull ups?
    By stiletos in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30-Nov-2011, 01:31
  5. Plastic pull ups?
    By patrick1776 in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Apr-2011, 00:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.