ABU using different tapes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

90sNickKid

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I just got a half case (40) of ABU Simples the other day and just got to try one out. I used my last Simple from my previous stock earlier in the day, and switched to the new batch. I noticed when I pulled one of the new ones out that the tapes had a darker blue on them, but didn't think anything of it at first. Nothing happened until a few hours later when I realized the diaper felt loose around my legs in the back. Turns out -both- of the bottom tapes had broken on me. This is a little strange, because I use duct tape to secure the front parts of the tapes to the front part of the diaper's landing zone. They actually ripped where the tapes are attached to the diaper! Maybe I like my diapers too tight, but I've never had -both- bottom tapes fail on the same diaper. Rarely, I would have one fail, but never both.

So I was wondering, has anyone else noticed a change in the tape quality in ABU Simple/Space/etc in the past few months? The last batch of Simples I used were from December.

I am also on the second half of a case of little paws i bought in early January and I've noticed the exact same thing. the tapes are coming off where they are attached to the diaper, not where they are stuck on the landing zone.
I haven't had a problem with any other order, but i will be submitting a ticket specifically for this because any extended wear period the tapes "slide" off the shell.
Not earth shattering, just aggravating.

Just got my newest batch of little pawz. Last night was the last one from my previous case so I'll keep an eye on it tonight when I change for bed. Hopefully its an isolated problem. Or maybe it only affected the simple?

I've had the same issue with Simple's. Either one or two bottom tapes will break with extended wear, or top tapes will slip overnight. I'm glad to hear that this didn't used to be a thing. I'm on half a case left from a full case purchased back in late December. I haven't had any issues with any of their other products either.

This a little disconcerting since I personally consider ABU the new "gold standard". Don't get me wrong, I still love and respect em and no company can "bat 1000", but I don't want them to slip down the same route Bambino did (not that Bambino is bad, just noticeably less quality than their earlier stuff without a change in price to reflect it). I'm sure Casey will do whatever is best though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't noticed a decrease in capacity or anything like that. Still absorbent as ever. Just the tape problem, which can be mitigated with adding your own tape. It -was- only 1 diaper, and I haven't tried out another one to see if it's a consistent issue yet. Just trying to put the question out there to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar. Less sturdy tapes, while still a problem, aren't anywhere near as bad as intentionally decreasing capacity without explanation. Like skuru said, not earth shattering, just aggravating.

If I find it's a recurring problem, I'll update. I'm hoping it was just a single manufacturing defect, which does happen from time to time. Not trying to throw shade unnecessarily here. ABU is my fav diaper company and I'd hate to see them go down like that.

TheCaptain said:
This a little disconcerting since I personally consider ABU the new "gold standard". Don't get me wrong, I still love and respect em and no company can "bat 1000", but I don't want them to slip down the same route Bambino did (not that Bambino is bad, just noticeably less quality than their earlier stuff without a change in price to reflect it). I'm sure Casey will do whatever is best though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a manufacturing glitch in one of the tape runs from 3M that caused part of a batch to be hit-or-miss. We didn't elect for any changes on the product at all since anything was launched, it was just a variation of the tape from 3M itself. We're switching to a different tape manufacturer we've used in the past that's had a 100% solid track record for the past 8 years, and we'll see those start to hit the USA/Canada/UK/Japan in late April. For now, if it's a problem for you, please consider using a little extra tape. If that's not working at all for you, please contact us at [email protected] and we'll look at some other options (including a discount/replacement once the new batch is in).

-Respectfully,
Casey Strom, ABU

Hey Casey, any idea when the new batch might hit AU?

okram said:
Hey Casey, any idea when the new batch might hit AU?

I'm going to say early May, but don't hold me to that please.

klo555 said:
I'm going to say early May, but don't hold me to that please.

Early may?!?! I'm out of preschools DX and they are the only diaper I wear right now... Not into the other Plastic backed options...

BabyLink9 said:
Early may?!?! I'm out of preschools DX and they are the only diaper I wear right now... Not into the other Plastic backed options...

Yea! It really sucks! We bring them in and then they are snached up instantly! So we're working on bumping up production quantities, etc etc.

klo555 said:
Yea! It really sucks! We bring them in and then they are snached up instantly!

But that sounds like a good thing for you??

Having product fly off the shelves is good in one sense. Sales are great. But not being able to fulfill orders in a timely manner, is bad in the long term, since it annoys potential customers. Sales is always a balancing act between having enough product to meet customer requests and not so much that they sit on a shelf collecting dust. In a boutique business, which ABDL is, this becomes even more critical.

ABU has been bringing out new products and there is the lead time on getting shipments from their supplier. They make a guess as to what sales will be. In this case it looks like they under-estimated the market.

What is happening here is the perfectly normal (even if it is annoying for some). My guess is that Casey is among those annoyed that he did not guess the market right.

No problems with my newest batch of little pawz

bambinod said:
But that sounds like a good thing for you??

Yes. GREAT thing.

- - - Updated - - -

howiebabe said:
Having product fly off the shelves is good in one sense. Sales are great. But not being able to fulfill orders in a timely manner, is bad in the long term, since it annoys potential customers. Sales is always a balancing act between having enough product to meet customer requests and not so much that they sit on a shelf collecting dust. In a boutique business, which ABDL is, this becomes even more critical.

ABU has been bringing out new products and there is the lead time on getting shipments from their supplier. They make a guess as to what sales will be. In this case it looks like they under-estimated the market.

What is happening here is the perfectly normal (even if it is annoying for some). My guess is that Casey is among those annoyed that he did not guess the market right.

Well, we've hit all of our product fulfilment goals (order by x, picked/packed by x), but I still would like to always have about 2x the amount of inventory that we usually have. So many factors involved in the supply chain, which is part of the reason we opened the east coast warehouse.

Being out of stock is bad for too many reasons.. Very bad..

howiebabe said:

They actually took a step to combat this issue, they're opening another facility in the east coast, not only does this relieve stock issues, but also decreases shipping time on the east coast.

klo555 said:
Yes. GREAT thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, we've hit all of our product fulfilment goals (order by x, picked/packed by x), but I still would like to always have about 2x the amount of inventory that we usually have. So many factors involved in the supply chain, which is part of the reason we opened the east coast warehouse.

Being out of stock is bad for too many reasons.. Very bad..
Are you guys still hiring? :)

I believe they have newer tapes, I had a case of simples and some cushies. Both tapes don't hold now.

Speaking of tapes, I would love for ABUniverse to have a diaper kinda like what Magnifico's have.
That is a wonderful system.

I recently got a new order of Little Pawz and on the first diaper I had one of the top tapes just break sometime in the night, after that broken tape I started to wear the top tapes just a little bit looser than usual. I'm hoping that this isn't the start of the decline in quality of ABU products too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back